Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Wads with the most inappropriate midi for a shooter/any game?

Currently considering putting a midi of Ariana Grande - Into You with a map I'm currently making for shits and giggles.  I certainly remember people in the early days using classical music and tv show themes, but not bubblegum pop and the like.

I used Lady Gaga - Bad Romance in MAP01 of 32in24-11. I think goofy midi's have become really popular in speedmapping.

I recall one of the Slaughterfest maps, don't remember which one, had a midi of Gangnam Style.

Have to say it got me off guard.

Pretty sure it wasnt a midi, but i love that ToD map with the sound bite of Richard Simmons leading into the purest of death metals. I think ToD composed that track too.

3 hours ago, Terminus said:

I recall one of the Slaughterfest maps, don't remember which one, had a midi of Gangnam Style.

Its Slaughterfest 2012 Map15: Doomherolandia by General Rainbow Bacon

I used Paula Abdul - Straight Up in my recently released map, but I feel like it's not inappropriate at all. I don't see anything wrong with using pop songs if they're not overly cheery.

I don't find any midis inappropriate

Just for clarification, I don't mind any music in any map. If I don't like it, I turn off music.

47 minutes ago, mrthejoshmon said:

If anyone uses CANYON.mid in an unironic setting then a crime has been committed.

I know what the song for my next map will be now ;)

Earth dot fucking wad by Roger Ritenour.

map01: Ben E. King - Stand By Me (Beach Cabana Lazy Afternoon mix)

map02: The Demon's Dead

map03: Countdown to Death

map04: Laura Branigan - Self Control (Mean Girls' Shopping Spree mix)

map05: Dark Halls

map06: In the Dark

map07: Sign of the Evil

map08: Vangelis - Conquest of Paradise (Grandpa's Awkward Cremation mix)

map09: Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now (RPGMaker Fetch Quest mix)

map10: ...I'm actually afraid this might be a rendition of Space Jam

Explain this to me, I dare you.

Too Hot, which was used in both Catacomb 3D as well as Commander Keen: Episode 4. It's alright in Catacomb 3D, but it's used far too often throughout Secret of the Oracle and feels entirely out of place with the game's tone. Apparently, it was John Carmack's idea to use it so much in Episode 4, because he really loves the song. 

edit: I misread the thread's title, but my point still stands. 

Funny, I thought it fit Keen 4 just fine, but was crazy overused in Catacomb 3D given it's basically the game's only music track (or if it isn't, I didn't get far enough into the game for it to change - and I put like an hour into that thing!).

1 hour ago, therektafire said:

I know what the song for my next map will be now ;)

You're a monster, you know that right?

34 minutes ago, dew said:

The music choice in that level set is so amazingly bad that it actually removes from the experience and pretty much kills the mood.

Khorus. Yeah, let's put fucking Russian folk songs into atmospheric forest and temple levels.

I use a midi version of the king of the hill theme as a placeholder track while making maps/TCs. It gets interesting to say the least.

1 hour ago, dew said:

map01: Ben E. King - Stand By Me (Beach Cabana Lazy Afternoon mix)

map02: The Demon's Dead

map03: Countdown to Death

map04: Laura Branigan - Self Control (Mean Girls' Shopping Spree mix)

map05: Dark Halls

map06: In the Dark

map07: Sign of the Evil

map08: Vangelis - Conquest of Paradise (Grandpa's Awkward Cremation mix)

map09: Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now (RPGMaker Fetch Quest mix)

map10: ...I'm actually afraid this might be a rendition of Space Jam

Explain this to me, I dare you.

The best part is the text file:

Additional Credits	: Olivier Montanuy, author of WINTEX.
			  I borrowed his grandfather clock and
			  television, though they have been
			  enhanced. Check them out, you will 
			  find them in THE HILL. Stephen's DOOM
			  Music v. 1.5 for some of the music
			  selections. Doom version 1.2 for some
			  additional music selections. Anton
			  Baranov (AN_MUSIC.WAD) for other music
			  selections.

Yes. The music not taken from Doom was taken from music resource wads. Specifically an_music.wad and something that doesn't seem to have survived.

So, no, MAP10 isn't Space Jam. It's this. I didn't even know that 2 Unlimited made other songs than "No Limit".

17 hours ago, Terminus said:

Map 15 in Slaughterfest 2012. What a map. 

I don't know which wads do this, but there are some that have used The Nutcracker Suite by Tchaikovsky.  Although it would be an interesting community project challenging people to make maps for these midis that actually fit.

I once made a stupid jokewad where the first map was just a huge slope made of lots of tiny stairs and the accompanying midi was Wrecking Ball by Miley Cyrus. But I guess normally inappropriate music choices can become appropriate in jokewads?

Serenity / Infinity / Eternity had some pretty daft choices.  The ones that stood out were C+C Music Factory's "Everybody Dance Now", a couple of Michael Jackson songs and a piece that sounded like 1950s jazz.

On ‎8‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:44 AM, mrthejoshmon said:

If anyone uses CANYON.mid in an unironic setting then a crime has been committed.

I've used canyon at least twice unironically in maps. That MIDI is the 90s compressed into a couple minutes of music, how could I resist?

Edit: In deathmatch, I actually quite enjoy "unfitting" music, so long as it's somewhat upbeat. Sure, every song could be something in the vein of E1M1 but that gets boring fast. Doom DM is such a fun and casual experience and music that reflects that is totally OK by me.

Edited by Doomkid

There was a map in skull tag that used Tiny Tim's "Living in the Sunlight" when you activated all the switches in the map.

Edited by Halfblind

11 hours ago, LHSpanner said:

Serenity / Infinity / Eternity had some pretty daft choices.  The ones that stood out were C+C Music Factory's "Everybody Dance Now", a couple of Michael Jackson songs and a piece that sounded like 1950s jazz.

Yes, playing through Serenity now there's Axel F on M3, some funky jazz mid in M4 (excellent MIDI, I absolutely love it but it doesn't fit in Doom) and an all piano version of Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence in M6. 

4 hours ago, NaZa said:

Yes, playing through Serenity now there's Axel F on M3, some funky jazz mid in M4 (excellent MIDI, I absolutely love it but it doesn't fit in Doom) and an all piano version of Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence in M6. 

Are there different versions?  V2 on idgames has no original music at all.