Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Success

I've been reading some self-help books that have been recommended to me, a lot of it having to do with building the mindset that helps you get what you want, strengthen relationships, appreciate life, find happiness and what not.

I've done a lot of it and along with doing things that have helped my life for the better, it also helped me to realize that my life is pretty good and most of my stress is manufactured out of fiction. I don't require a lot to be happy, I rarely have any immediate problems, and the future doesn't seem so scary. 

Getting all that extra baggage out of the way is supposed to help you to focus on things that actually do make you happy. But from time to time I still find it difficult to discover what it is I actually want to be doing with my life. Everything is pretty good for the most part. I still do want some things, like some extra money so I can go to fancy restaurants more often, reduce any concerns I have about finances, and maybe have a little extra free time. The problem I have is that I can't seem to figure out if these things are just kinda superficial and that by pursuing them, it will just become a treadmill of always wanting more of it. I'm not really being denied the things I like to do, like watching movies with my wife, eating healthy, having comfortable furniture, and mapping for and talking about Doom. I don't know what the fuck else there is left for me to want.

I'm by no means wildly affluent or have exactly the career I want, but I've kinda recognized that not having these things isn't really hurting me. Almost everyone I know is on some endless quest for success that they've been working towards their entire life. Usually it involves falling in love, traveling, retiring, being the champion at something, running their own business, becoming really wealthy, owning the most property and assets, etc. Half of these people don't really know for sure that is what they need to be happy. None of that really means anything to me. I'm quite happy with what I'm doing, but at the same time without any real difficult challenges to strive for, I feel as though my life is lacking purpose. I'm just kinda living in this comfortable bubble that's not being very heavily imposed by mental barriers. Just going through the motions, aging one day at a time, and then I'll eventually die. 

It's a very peculiar thing, to know what is needed to be happy, get it, then not know what to do with it once you have it.

3 hours ago, 40oz said:

It's a very peculiar thing, to know what is needed to be happy, get it, then not know what to do with it once you have it.

Tell me about it...

3 hours ago, 40oz said:

You might like Schopenhauer.