Which monster would you like to be for a day and why?

On 2/8/2018 at 11:21 AM, Agent6 said:

One point blank BFG shot and the Spider Mastermind is dead, they're not threatening at all.

Won't disagree with MMs being harmless of course, but the game you are referring to here is not Doom. Masterminds die only ~3% of the time to a single BFG shot with full tracers at an arbitrary position, due to the blockmap, in a port with actual Doom behavior. Even with ZDoom-based heresy it's ~62%, not 100%, and if the mastermind manages to fire in the short window before you realize it isn't dead and fire your second BFG shot, that is a few point-blank giant mechanical rapidfire shotgunner shots absorbed -- not exactly a non-threatening proposition. So all things considered "one point blank BFG shot" is bad policy, and should be supplemented by either weakening the mastermind a bit beforehand with another weapon (if cell ammo is tight) or firing a preliminary BFG shot against a wall so that the tracers hit the mastermind contemporaneously with the proper point-blank shot (if cell ammo permits). 

3 people like this

28 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Won't disagree with MMs being harmless of course, but the game you are referring to here is not Doom. Masterminds die only ~3% of the time to a single BFG shot with full tracers at an arbitrary position, due to the blockmap, in a port with actual Doom behavior. Even with ZDoom-based heresy it's ~62%, not 100%, and if the mastermind manages to fire in the short window before you realize it isn't dead and fire your second BFG shot, that is a few point-blank giant mechanical rapidfire shotgunner shots absorbed -- not exactly a non-threatening proposition. So all things considered "one point blank BFG shot" is bad policy, and should be supplemented by either weakening the mastermind a bit beforehand with another weapon (if cell ammo is tight) or firing a preliminary BFG shot against a wall so that the tracers hit the mastermind contemporaneously with the proper point-blank shot (if cell ammo permits). 

Good to see some actual numbers but I am going to disagree I suppose.

"but the game you are referring to here is not Doom. Masterminds die only ~3% of the time to a single BFG shot with full tracers at an arbitrary position" - What? But I did this repeatedly against the majority of MMs I ran to (save for when reaching point blank was impossible), always hitting them on their left or right side to be successful (never in the face), and this includes the ones at the end of Ultimate Doom's E3M8 and E4M8, on UV. Have I simply been incredibly lucky considering the apparently very low 3% chance of one blast killing a MM (or 60% since I'm primarily using GZDoom)? I don't know, but rest assured it didn't happen only on a few occasions, hence why I said they "die from one point blank BFG blast" .

Also, just in case, I hope this will not derail into a pointless discussion with no real conclusion, in case someone else wants to further reply to this particular discussion.

Edited by Agent6

Archvile. Then I could raise the roof! 

I'd be a Lost Soul. Tanky as shit and I can fly around aimlessly screaming at people. What are you gonna do, shoot me? Better have mouselook enabled.

On 2/7/2018 at 10:52 AM, Skeletonpatch said:

I'd be this guy:

Gotcha!.jpg.64114979e60c49210fc432d2130a781d.jpg

On 2/7/2018 at 11:27 AM, Chewyninja69 said:

Doom Guy or the guy about to get his shit pushed in?

On 2/7/2018 at 1:45 PM, DeXiaZ said:

Hmmm, Doomguy can be counted as "monster" due to his ultra-violence nature.

In an "I Am Legend" sense of things, Doomguy is the monster in Doom.

Granted, this turns Doom on its head, like saying Hamlet is the true villain in "Hamlet." You might be thinking, "I don't know. Shakespearean tragedies tend to have pretty clear villains, and Claudius is pretty clearly the villain." My 12th grade English teacher said the same thing.

Spoiler

The argument to that is that Hamlet has the opportunity to kill Claudius (his stepfather, who he has learned has killed his actual father), but he doesn't because he sees that Claudius is praying for repentance. If Hamlet killed Claudius while he was in prayer, Claudius would go straight to Heaven (which Hamlet doesn't want to happen). The irony is that Claudius essentially acknowledges that his prayers are worthless and he can't repent because he is still in possession of the fruits of his evil acts  (Hamlet doesn't hear this, of course), so he would not have gone to Heaven had he been killed. Every other bad thing that happens in "Hamlet" takes place after this point.

Spoiler

Hamlet feigns insanity, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are executed, Ophelia becomes depressed and insane and dies (possibly by suicide), Polonius is stabbed, Gertrude, Laertes, and Hamlet are all poisoned, and Claudius is eventually killed.

Had Hamlet just killed his stepfather when he had the chance, none of these bad things would've happened.

Now that Doomworld has had its diversion into Shakespeare for the day, let's get back to the question at hand.

The advantage here is that such an argument about Doomguy lets you answer this question by saying, "I would be Doomguy for a day."

2 people like this

Just now, Pegleg said:

The advantage here is that such an argument about Doomguy lets you answer this question by saying, "I would be Doomguy for a day."

It occurred to me that some people might say that who in their right mind would want to be Doomguy? Well, there certainly are arguments to be made both for and against.

PROS OF BEING DOOMGUY:

Can fall from thousands of feet with no apparent ill effects, except for a grunt.

Proficient in a wide range of weapons, including spiked brass knuckles.

Can take extreme amounts of punishment.

Can walk through lava without instant immolation.

Doesn't get light-headed from loss of blood.

Doesn't get dizzy, even when running full speed in circles.

Heals very quickly with proper treatment.

Incredibly high endurance.

Extremely high top speed and agility.

Doesn't move any slower with 7 fully-loaded weapons and a full backpack than he did with just a pistol.

CONS OF BEING DOOMGUY:

Probably in physical torment for all the abuse he's put his body through.

Probably in mental and emotional torment for all the things he's witnessed.

Constantly hounded by the hordes of Hell.

His pet rabbit is dead.

6 people like this

7 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

CONS OF BEING DOOMGUY:

Probably in physical torment for all the abuse he's put his body through.

Probably in mental and emotional torment for all the things he's witnessed.

Constantly hounded by the hordes of Hell.

His pet rabbit is dead.

Daisy! ;O;

1 person likes this

36 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

CONS OF BEING DOOMGUY:

Can't bloody look up or down.

7 people like this

1 hour ago, cyan0s1s said:

Daisy! ;O;

Those monsters! Who would ever want to be one of them for a day?

8 hours ago, Chewyninja69 said:

^^^What is this specific monster called?

It is called a Pyro Succubus and it is very similar to the black wing siren from the sirens wad which I sometimes use as my player skin among others.

2 people like this

If given the choice I'd become a Baron of Hell for the day. Mostly because people would think I'd literally the devil. XD