Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VileSlay

1on1 connection, vanilla syle

an old friend of mine just popped up and wants to do an old school vanilla doom 1on1 dm. the only thing is we both have dsl and are not sure how to connect. now I know you guys are gonna say use zdaemon, but we just want to connect to each other, like the old sersetup or deathmanager programs. does anyone know how to do that? is it even possible?

yeah I didn't see doom in the list of games. I'm just gonna try to convince him to get zdaemon. it might take a good deal of arm twisting though.

actually, you just join the "action game" section after installing that zone software thingy. You'll get to a lobby that allows hosting/joining games, and you run ipxsetup with the parameters you wish from there. ( ipxsetup -nodes 2 -warp01 -deathmatch -nomonsters
-skill 5 -record irule -maxdemo 2222 )

Zdoom is such a turd compared to 1.9 exe...why not enjoy the game the right way while ur at it :)

Um... list of games? A bunch of people play DOOM there. If I recall correctly, ZoneLan is divided into sections; the "action" one is for DOOM. ZoneLan is a bunch of "rooms" where you can start games. You don't need to install IPX or anything, it works. And it's the best way to play DOOM multiplayer short of a direct IPX connection (unless your opponent or fellow player is far away, in which case it is too slow and something like zdaemon becomes the only choice.)

myk said:

Um... list of games? A bunch of people play DOOM there. If I recall correctly, ZoneLan is divided into sections; the "action" one is for DOOM. ZoneLan is a bunch of "rooms" where you can start games. You don't need to install IPX or anything, it works. And it's the best way to play DOOM multiplayer short of a direct IPX connection (unless your opponent or fellow player is far away, in which case it is too slow and something like zdaemon becomes the only choice.)

Unfortunately, this does not display as very obvious to most people.

if you like to talk with us playing on zone, join the channel #nightmare on IRCnet (irc).
:)

Torn

Damn you Torn, you never told me that existed. That probably explains why I hardly ever find anyone to play with on the Zone, that and the fact that I have a stupid 56k connection and you know how laggy that makes a Zone game :(

myk said:

(unless your opponent or fellow player is far away, in which case it is too slow and something like zdaemon becomes the only choice.)

or if they have WinNT/XP.

MaTT [TiK] said:
Damn you Torn, you never told me that existed. That probably explains why I hardly ever find anyone to play with on the Zone, that and the fact that I have a stupid 56k connection and you know how laggy that makes a Zone game :(

:P
You never asked... :)
Well, come and join, when you are ready for a zone game...

I think SkullTag has a "Vanilla DM" option, which emulates Doom2.exe right down to the silent BFG trick and four-player limit.

Nah, that was some silly joke attempting to annoy people that like doom2 over other engines, and super buggy. I Don't know if it's fixed but if so it'd just be like zdaemon with equal settings set on if so. Anyway it's client/server. "Vanilla style" is peer to peer with a slowdown instead of a displacement if ping is high.

The MSN molested Zone is evil. Use Kali.net. They were giving away free serials last I checked.

No, that Kali thing hardly works. We are going to have to admit Microsoft has finally bought our souls!

myk said:

No, that Kali thing hardly works. We are going to have to admit Microsoft has finally bought our souls!

True, Kali is shit because it hardly ever has anyone online anymore. And yeah, the MSN Gaming Zone is good, but the rest of Microsoft is still a load of bollocks :) This is the second time I've upgraded Internet Explorer to the latest version on this computer, and looks like it'll have to be the second time I've had to reformat because of it - next time I'll stick with IE5.5 or whatever I had before. The main reason I'm gonna have to reformat is because IE won't log into Microsoft's [sarcasm]amazing[/sarcasm] Hotmail service, so the only way I can check my bloody e-mail is by DCCing my two computers and using the Internet on the other one, which is slow since it's:
slow 56k modem --> slow P2 350 Mhz --> slow serial cable --> slow P1 180 Mhz !!!!!

fodders said:

Or use doomserv

I thought Doomserv could only start a ZDoom game.