Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tolwyn

Requiem Reimagined Soundtrack Close at Hand...

I can't overstate how exciting this is. Requiem was the first user-made megawad that I played and its soundtrack was unlike anything I've heard before. Can't wait to listen to 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 24, etc.

NO FREAKING WAY!

This is beyond badass. I loved Requiem and I loved the music even more. There are some kickass tracks in that megawad, you guys really hit it out of the park not only with the megawad but with that music. Can't wait!

EDIT: Rhythm of Carnage sounds incredible. Loving the style and the sound is perfect. Looking forward to replaying Requiem with your redone music loaded. :D

Wow wasn't expecting this, definitely looking forward to it. :)

Fuck yeah, Rhythm of Carnage sounds freaking awesome here! Certainly an improvement on the demo released a few months ago, I dare say. Now I'm even more excited to hear the rest of this!

In general it would be great to hear more of these kind of recordings of Doom MIDIs. Back to Saturn X is one that stands out a lot to me when I think about that... Alas, the time and energy that goes into just doing a single piece like this can be pretty nuts :(

You know, big picture idea here.... you guys should form a "Doom MIDI cover band" or something like that! With permission from original authors, you could redo soundtracks for many Doom megawads in this same style. We need an awesome Doom music "band" of some kind. Once again, big picture thinking, no pressure. :D

Was playing through Requiem and was thinking, "Hey, I wonder if Tolwyn still does stuff."

I come to Doomworld and find this. What are the odds.

Absolutely fantastic to hear about this. Definitely looking forward to the real thing!

Woah man this is amazing, I would've never expected it. Requiem was the second PWAD I played after the IWADs and loved it, so I'm totally keeping an eye out for this.

17 hours ago, Memfis said:

I can't overstate how exciting this is. Requiem was the first user-made megawad that I played and its soundtrack was unlike anything I've heard before. Can't wait to listen to 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 24, etc.

Exactly this! Requiem has fantastic music, and I can't wait to play it with an updated soundtrack 

OGG format would be the best format to use because it plays the nicest with all the major source ports (ZDoom based and others) the best. MP3 is better for casual listening out of game but those are my thoughts when using these formats. FLAC would be the best for the audiophiles out there.

You know, I gave this a lot of thought even when we FIRST started this project. From FLAC to OGG to MP3 (never AAC, sorry) and we decided to release it first in the MP3 format (no one is stopping you from trans-coding it). And I do appreciate the fact that OGG is a format that is supported very well in the Port community and I personally know that FLAC is a great, well-respected lossless format (I have many albums remastered and encoded as FLAC for space purposes).

We wanted a format that had a high-level of support for listening to outside of the game as a priority. In car stereos that support MP3, Personal players, Portable devices, home stereo systems, et al. MP3 comes out ahead for portability and accessibility. We're not against other formats, but 320kbps, 44.1Khz 16bit (dithered from 24bit) MP3 is the release format we're going with for distribution. We of course have the master files at 48Khz or 99Khz, 24 bit, etc. For other possible purposes.

Trans-coding to OGG is very easy and we're comfortable with the bit rate and fidelity that we're releasing it in. We're not at all against any format, but we did, in the end, have to come to a consensus.

I wonder how "The Helix" is going to sound in this new edition, my favorite Requiem track :) 

But I can't wait to hear the entire thing because Requiem soundtrack is awesome and I like everything you and Mark made so..

What was the track that played on Sector 666's second level? I really liked that one. I think it also played on the first map of Memento Mori II as well.

7 minutes ago, Uni said:

I wonder how "The Helix" is going to sound in this new edition, my favorite Requiem track :) 

But I can't wait to hear the entire thing because Requiem soundtrack is awesome and I like everything you and Mark made so..

Oh wow.

The Helix... Hahaha. Well... it's the last track we're working on at the moment (and I mean that LITERALLY at this very moment). And it is the most changed (this is a "re-imagined" version ). So... I do hope you like it. There's probably an interview in here somewhere (hello, Doomradio...) but Helix was (is) the hardest song I had to do in this project.

Oh, and there's a section that you will either smile and nod or you will hate. I wonder which you will do.

12 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

What was the track that played on Sector 666's second level? I really liked that one. I think it also played on the first map of Memento Mori II as well.

Avalanche by Mark Klem. One of my favorite songs by him. No idea on Sector 666.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjVXYGoMXKg

Hell yes that's the one, I feel like it could be best summed up as the 'THIS is DOOM' kind of introduction to the world of PWADs by the best mappers.

I can't wait to hear Jacob's Staircase, personally. That, and Somewhere Over the Horizon. That solo in that one blew me away when I first hear it going through the megawad.

18 hours ago, Tolwyn said:

Oh wow.

The Helix... Hahaha. Well... it's the last track we're working on at the moment (and I mean that LITERALLY at this very moment). And it is the most changed (this is a "re-imagined" version ). So... I do hope you like it. There's probably an interview in here somewhere (hello, Doomradio...) but Helix was (is) the hardest song I had to do in this project.

Oh, and there's a section that you will either smile and nod or you will hate. I wonder which you will do.

Ooohhhh.. Now I'm really intrigued. I'm sure I'm gonna smile though :)

On 2/8/2018 at 3:30 PM, Tolwyn said:

Just when you thought the young kids were taking over...

Tolwyn, Klem, and Jeremy Doyle are just a few weeks away from releasing...

Requiem Re-imagined (The Soundtrack).

The soundtrack to 1997's Doom2 Megawad Requiem has been re-written, professionally recorded, and re-imagined. Just over twenty years later (think about that just for a few moments), the original musicians have reunited to re-record each song in a new album due out Spring 2018...

As a teaser, here is Map 1. Rhythm of Carnage written by Tolwyn. Jeremy Doyle is featured on guitars.

If you are interested in reviewing the album once it is released, please don't hesitate to contact me (tolwyn at tolwyn dot com).

Mirrors:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4gq8Y--VRe0SkdYYnZKMFFMUU0
http://www.tolwyn.com/downloads/138

I like this but I prefer the way the MIDI introduces the song with the snare drum sequence, the double bass beat at the beginning of this one is less interesting. Also I think the bass guitar could be brought forward in the mix somewhat. Otherwise, great job!

On 2/9/2018 at 3:43 PM, Tolwyn said:

Avalanche by Mark Klem. One of my favorite songs by him. No idea on Sector 666.

I fell in love with this track when I booted up Memento Mori 2 for the very first time.

Key solo for Helix (my last song in this project, aside from mixing/mastering and helping other songs) is done. :)