Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyntherAugustus

In your opinion...

Who do you think is the god of doom?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think is the god of doom?

• John Romero
    • John Carmack
    • Andrew Stine
    • Other (not you)

im my opinion, this looks like a kissbutt thread.

we all know that Carmack is doom god and master of all that is 3D engines.

I agree with tenshi and grazza. It's pretty much unarguable that Carmack's the king of 3d engines, but Romero had a ton of influence on the game in several ways... hell, he's to blame for Episode 1 which is IMHO the best set of Doom levels to date.

I say Kevin Cloud / Adrian Carmack. The engine was nice but nothing that was so incredibly groundbreaking, hell Build is a nicer engine overall. Episode 1 is great and all but it didn't make or break the game. But can you imagine Doom without the textures/weapons/monsters it has? The Freedoom project is nice but the artwork isn't nearly as good as Doom's. Duke3D is a fun game but the monsters and especially the textures are so ugly that I can't stand to play it.

You can't just pick one and say he's the god of Doom. It was team effort and they all pinched in. iD is the god of Doom.

The God of Doom is caffeine. Without it, the whole Doom team wouldn't have been able to stay awake and focused enough to put in their respective efforts to creaet the game we all enjoy.

lament said:

Well, I still think I am the God of Doom, but the poll explicitly forbids using that :(

Lament is the God of Doom.

Heh, well, I think I'll go along with Maonth and say that, really, id is the god of Doom. You can't just pick one person and be fair to the other guys-they all had their parts in creating Doom. Therefore:
id = God of Doom

I voted Romero. It is indeed true that it was a team effort and wouldn't be what it is without the rest; the EXE, the gfx and the music and sounds all count. But Romero's personality fits in very well with the game and he still likes the game a lot and even talks about it on his page.

It's true that id is making DOOM III, but as it's not out yet I'll leave judging it in respect to this poll till it's out and I play it (if I ever do.)

Hmm, also, let's not forget the initial contributions of Tom Hall... he laid the foundations of the design and even started the mapping.

Ralphis was the best doomer ever.

No seriously, I'd have to say Romero. As someone stated above, he still talks about doom and as far as I know he was the only one that would show up to doom2 tournaments. So my vote goes to good ol' JR.

bigbadgangsta said:

OMG I WONDER WHO YOU ARE.

mxp128: sysyphus?
ralphis sfr6: uh what
mxp128: you logged on dw again, didnt you?
ralphis sfr6: no
ralphis sfr6: i havent been there for weeks