Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
USK GOV

How to upload doom wads to doom world?

I think the instructions you are looking for are here:

basically if you want to upload to doomworld, you will need to use an FTP client to upload. the process is all detailed in that thread, but you can certainly post here again if you run into issues or have other questions. if you want to post something temporarily for people to download and playtest so that you can gather feedback, you can also upload your .wad or .pk3 files to a hosting service like Dropbox or Google Drive.

however, someone recently PM'd me with this same question and it took me a few minutes to figure it out. I think we could make things much clearer; the situation with the sticky threads in Wads & Mods is imo pretty unclear. of the 3 sticky threads that pertain to posting wads:

- "New to posting maps? Read this first!" talks about what information to include when you're posting a map to download, but says nothing about how to actually put a map up for download or where

- "/newstuff and /idgames FAQ - READ THIS" has a title that I think is pretty unhelpful if you're unfamiliar with doomworld. if I'm a newcomer, what is /newstuff? what is /idgames? I understand the thread title says "READ THIS" but if I'm new and come here looking for an answer as to where and how I can put a map up for download, nothing about this thread title suggests this is the place I need to look because /idgames and /newstuff probably mean nothing to me. also I didn't even know /newstuff was still going until I just checked, since the front page of doomworld is no longer news and I haven't visited the news section of the forums since probably before the forum update

- "Archive upload process changes" seems similarly unhelpful for two reasons: 1) the information contained in there is over 4 years old and therefore is just part of the upload process now, not a "new" part of the process, and 2) if I'm new and looking for a how-to on posting maps, I could easily see not knowing that the "archive" is what we call the place where we upload doom maps

I think it would make most sense to have something like "How to upload and post Doom maps and mods FAQ" be the top sticky thread in this forum section, which could then be broken down into sections covered by the current 3 threads we have now: where can I upload my wads, what is the idgames archive, what do I need to know when posting wads to the forums, what is /newstuff, and whatever else needs to be covered. might also be worth answering "how do I get started making my own maps and mods" in there too, even if it's just linking to another thread in the Editing section or something