Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bloodshedder

The /newstuff Chronicles #541

Nice mix of tutorials, megawads and miniwads placed in the review. Speed Master was a good megawad and glad that someone reviewed it.

On 2/11/2018 at 7:13 AM, Catpho said:

Is that really DooM_RO name?O_o

Btw,nice reviews.

Haha, it is. Sounds kinda pompous, no? XD

1 minute ago, DooM_RO said:

Haha, it is. Sounds kinda pompous not? XD

Im just curious,in what country do you get named like that?Sounds pretty sci fi.

Just now, Catpho said:

Im just curious,in what country do you get named like that?Sounds pretty sci fi.

Romania

Hey thanks for the review Leo! <3

On 2/10/2018 at 3:11 PM, Bloodshedder said:

a sort of question (choosing easy or hard) that, to me, doesn't have much relevance to the progress of the map

That's just to enable some extra hints and stuff IIRC.  :]

(For example, it lights up a big "NO" next to a switch that triggers a crusher trap.)

On 2/10/2018 at 3:11 PM, Bloodshedder said:

E1M2

Was originally meant to cause a VPO in vanilla upon start, which would then lead to an "UR GAY LOL" (or something like that) error message. 

However, apparently Choco Doom can't change the VPO error message text, even though the entry's there in Dehacked. So gay. :/

Edited by bzzrak

10 hours ago, bzzrak said:

Was originally meant to cause a VPO in vanilla upon start, which would then lead to an "UR GAY LOL" (or something like that) error message. 

However, apparently Choco Doom can't change the VPO error message text

Sounds like this is working as intended then.

hmm oh god

newstuff is so backed up even the landlord is tempted to do something about it

i don't think the formal reviews being replaced by the sidebar (too random-kick-in-the-ribs) + megawad club (exhaustive on levels we already know about, a skeleton crew commenting on ones we don't) is really the route to take at all so i'm gonna try and write a few myself

break out them truly heavy duty notepads

you can't even see past july 2017 right now

1 hour ago, yakfak said:

megawad club (exhaustive on levels we already know about, a skeleton crew commenting on ones we don't)

Outsourcing reviews to revenants seems like the way of the future. 

mmm

should you wait for someone who really likes a wad/mod to review it or just pounce on it and savage it?

It's cruel cos no-one has attempted to review Good Morning Phobos and it's a full megawad with fairly competent, uh, wall decoration

lots of effort has gone into this and some people will like it (tom mustaine would like it)

but the gameplay and layouts are so static and the only variation you'll see is in which order you collect the three required keys to beat every level

a completely guileless level set that has some monsters in it

but if I wrote that as a review and let it be posted i'd feel incredibly guilty for being a twisted person who doesn't like anything

5 hours ago, yakfak said:

mmm

should you wait for someone who really likes a wad/mod to review it or just pounce on it and savage it?

It's cruel cos no-one has attempted to review Good Morning Phobos and it's a full megawad with fairly competent, uh, wall decoration

lots of effort has gone into this and some people will like it (tom mustaine would like it)

but the gameplay and layouts are so static and the only variation you'll see is in which order you collect the three required keys to beat every level

a completely guileless level set that has some monsters in it

but if I wrote that as a review and let it be posted i'd feel incredibly guilty for being a twisted person who doesn't like anything

As a reviewer, I've often found it's best to review something in light of what it wants to be rather than what I want everything to be. Otherwise, the review is likely about me rather than about the wad.

10 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

As a reviewer, I've often found it's best to review something in light of what it wants to be rather than what I want everything to be. Otherwise, the review is likely about me rather than about the wad.

That's certainly a major point. I feel like quoting myself from 16 years ago:

I think a review (on any topic) should do the following:

1) Explain what the product is trying to do. (What does it do?)
2) Give an opinion as to the value of that aim. (Is it worth doing?)
3) Assess how well it achieves those aims. (How well does it do it?)
4) Offer opinions on how (if applicable) it might have been done better. (How could it be improved?)
5) Give some sort of recommendation to readers. (Should we get it?)

In that way the reviewer can express his own opinions very freely while still giving readers enough information to make up their own mind. It needn't be 100% regimented, but a review that does no more than one or two of the above is, IMHO, a poor review.

Having said that, few reviews in any subject live up to these standards. Reviewing, especially on a regular basis, is more difficult than it looks.

Sign in to follow this