læmænt

Are you American?

Well, are you American?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Well, are you American?

• Yes
    • No

lament said:

It makes sense for flags to represent governments; I think Woolie Wool is right. Of course, the question whether the government represents anything remains open :)

When Bush became Pres. did the American flag change? A flag represents the people, Governments come and go, the people and the spirit of the people that a flag represents, stay.

fodders said:

When Bush became Pres. did the American flag change? A flag represents the people, Governments come and go, the people and the spirit of the people that a flag represents, stay.

The government style didn't change. Only the people running it, therefor the government is the same. Administrations come and go. In the United States anyway

Whatever. It is obvious that I'm aware that governments are consevative by nature. You people should doublecheck your word usage. There's state (functional "head" of a nation), government (present administration), and nation (people, sum of citizens). All different and interrelated.

Why do you need a government to change completely to say it changed? Obviously many of the governors, Senators, Congressmen, and whatever are still the same, but otherwise there's changes... go look at Xian's thread on the Patriot Act for an example of a change in governing style.

myk said:

You people should doublecheck your word usage.

And this ..

Whatever. It is obvious that I'm aware that governments are consevative by nature.

means...what, exactly? Seems you need to double check your word usage.

fodders, I'll assume you're asking why I said it's conservative and not about the typo (since a word's usage is about its use in the appropiate context, and not errors like that one.)

Look back at the recent posts and you'll see that there's references to what governments may or may not represent and whether or not these are lasting or passing, with lament finally posting that about revolutions being how governments may possibly change.

My reply was prompted by the impression that it seems to some people that since governments are all pretty much conservative (they try to perpetuate themselves as much as possible and they in many ways "represent" the wealthy or at least listen to them a lot) their conception of it is muddled and mixed with the idea of state. And I was in the meantime pointing out that it is no news to me that governments tend to change gradually.

[QUOTE]DooMBoy said:
[B]

Hey, I be hearin' ya ther'! I'se a Southa'ne' too, an' if ya don' beleeve me, just ask my cousin Joe-Bob! Him and his shautgun be settin y'all straight! :P

YOU KNOW JOE-BOB!?!I live in the south too :)

how the hell do you get this quote thing to work?....oh well

please dont flame me if the quote thing messes up

DooMBoy said:

Hey, I be hearin' ya ther'! I'se a Southa'ne' too, an' if ya don' beleeve me, just ask my cousin Joe-Bob! Him and his shautgun be settin y'all straight! :P

No, seriuosly, I'm from the South as well. This does not mean I have a Rebel flag flying from my porch, or that my aunt is also my sister.

The only rebel flag I have is a bandana, and I hardly ever wear it. Also, I am one of a dying breed of Southerner without the accent.

DC

Yeah I'm from Canada. Uhhmm, sorry, you know, about Alanis Morrisette, and Brian Adams, Nickleback, Avril Lavigne. Yeah, sorry.

/me bows head in shame.