Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Megawads as easy as doom/2/tnt?

These iwads have one thing in common, I was able to reach at least level 8 on them as a kid without too much trouble (even on consoles) but latest megawads have me trying to figure out where to go, find a hidden switch to progress, slaughterfest etc.  What megawads out there could be effectively released as a commercial product, with similar progression and "easing into" the game play as these iwads?  Even the early megawads had people trying to "out-do" the iwads to be bigger, better, harder - even in the vanilla era.

Perdition's Gate, Hell to Pay. They literally WERE commercial products, with Perdition's Gate in particular almost making it into Final Doom. They're pretty short, moderately easy (probably between doom 1 and plutonia), and Hell to Pay has a bunch of (imo) cool custom assets.

Icarus, TVR and Extremal spring instantly to mind. All are roughly similar in difficulty level and size/complexity of maps.

Others you might consider (with reasons in parenthesis as to why I hesitate to recommend them quite so instantly) are 2002ado (some convoluted routes/secrets), STRAIN (uses dehacked; also harder in places), Marswar (variable quality/size of maps) and h2h-xmas (contains some slaughter maps and revenant hoardes).

Edited by Grazza

MM1 and 2 (2 is more Plutonia-esque in terms of difficulty from my experience so far), Icarus, and maybe Requiem.

Nothing else (and not new either) to suggest since I myself only recently started playing various PWADs.