Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
V0idH0und

Is the Doom 3 marine The original Doomguy?

Recommended Posts

Is the Doom 3 (Game) marine The original Doomguy? or is he John Kane from the Novels?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

He's not OG Doomguy, but another Marine.

It's just really confusing because sometime's id implies he is the same person, but other time's it's implied he's not, I agree with you on this one, mainly because he does not even look like the original Doomguy.

Share this post


Link to post

Considering DooM3(Yes, the official game logo isn't "DooM 3", the 3 is superscript) was designed like a totally reboot of DooM 1/2, so they still implied some of things in classic, just like most of reboot games.

 

The DooM3 novel author just give him a name, and something "similar backstory of military indiscretion to original marine", but I'm not sure he has any of relations to Classic Doomguy at all...

 

The plot isn't the same too but still has some relation from classic so it just like something new, based on classic DooM. Hell, even the DooM 4/2016 also a reboot again, I guess just id guys just lovin' do "rebooting" their games. :P

Edited by Player Lin : Re-wording my shit.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Player Lin said:

the 3 is superscript

Huh, so is this actually Doom Cubed? Was Soul Cube inspired by this?

Share this post


Link to post

Doom 3/Doom3 Doomguy is not the same as OG Doomguy because he does not share the same qualities as OG.

OG Doomguy:

  • Can sprint for all eternity practically
  • High endurance
  • High strength
  • Fights on the Martian moons, Phobos and Deimos, and on Earth, as well as in Hell

Doom 3/Doom3 Doomguy:

  • Can sprint for short bursts of time
  • Somewhat high endurance
  • Somewhat high strength
  • Fights on Mars and in Hell

 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Bluefox_1 said:

Huh, so is this actually Doom Cubed? Was Soul Cube inspired by this?

I doubt it. It's just a graphical style choosen by whomever made the logo, and I find it obnoxious when there's an attempt to recreate the logo's style choices in plain text. It's just Doom 3 (or, in the legal texts, "DOOM 3").

 

I wonder if he'll make the argument that Doom 3: BFG Edition should be written with "Do₃oM"...

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, chungy said:

I doubt it. It's just a graphical style choosen by whomever made the logo, and I find it obnoxious when there's an attempt to recreate the logo's style choices in plain text. It's just Doom 3 (or, in the legal texts, "DOOM 3").

I'm not sure how it's obnoxious, but to each their own.

3 hours ago, chungy said:

I wonder if he'll make the argument that Doom 3: BFG Edition should be written with "Do₃oM"...

Unnecessary, please don't provoke an argument in this thread, it's fine to share your opinion, but it should be done in a more polite way. :) (and yes, this is typically how arguments start on threads.)

Share this post


Link to post

 

10 hours ago, V0idH0und said:

I'm not sure how it's obnoxious, but to each their own.

Unnecessary, please don't provoke an argument in this thread, it's fine to share your opinion, but it should be done in a more polite way. :) (and yes, this is typically how arguments start on threads.)

 

Well, I don't intend to say that as "argument" or something, but someone may think it is, so I guess I needed explain my shit better when I post that.  And I don't want and don't have time to start such pointless argument, so just let it go. :)

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Player Lin said:

 

 

Well, I don't intend to say that as "argument" or something, but someone may think it is, so I guess I needed explain my shit better when I post that.  And I don't want and don't have time to start such pointless argument, so just let it go. :)

Ok. :)

Share this post


Link to post

If you consider Doom 3 to take place in an alternate timeline in the same universe as the Doom games, the OG Doomguy/Doomslayer could be the warrior depicted on the tablets that were dug up in the excavation sites, with the hell dimension being the bridge that connects each timeline. But then that would mean there are multiple Doomguys anyway, so the Doom 3 marine could in fact be the Doomguy, just a different incarnation in a world with different rules. A world that doesn't quite get itself as mixed up with the others as Doom 1/2/64/2016 seem to do.

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Avoozl said:

I thought Doom 3 was a reboot of Doom 1.

Not in my headcanon. :)

Share this post


Link to post

I see D3 as a retelling of Doom's E1, obviously with an accelerated plot. I just wish the guys at id would finally just come out and say "Stop arguing, xxxx is canon."

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, StevenC21 said:

I see D3 as a retelling of Doom's E1, obviously with an accelerated plot. I just wish the guys at id would finally just come out and say "Stop arguing, xxxx is canon."

Me too.

Share this post


Link to post

Doom 2016 pretty much made _all_ prior versions of Doom canon in the same universe or multiverse.

Share this post


Link to post

I think of DOOM, Quake, Wolfenstein and other id games like Marvel and DC comics. It's a crazy multiverse with infinite versions of each character. When You playScythe and he dies, that's just one of infinite timelines. Other times he gets through all those levels and then there's DOOM 3 guy and all the other DOOM guys. Of course there's THE Doomguy who is like the Earth-616 versions of The Punisher, The Hulk etc.

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/12/2018 at 1:49 AM, _42_ said:

Doom 3/Doom3 Doomguy is not the same as OG Doomguy because he does not share the same qualities as OG.

OG Doomguy:

  • Can sprint for all eternity practically
  • High endurance
  • High strength
  • Fights on the Martian moons, Phobos and Deimos, and on Earth, as well as in Hell

Doom 3/Doom3 Doomguy:

  • Can sprint for short bursts of time
  • Somewhat high endurance
  • Somewhat high strength
  • Fights on Mars and in Hell

 

OG DooM marine have that powers because of the limitaions of id Tech1

DooM³ engine, id Tech4 aims to create realstic way of gameplay.

Its kinda weird that the OG Doom guy carry superpowered BFG9000 without any speed reduction.....

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×