Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
qweqioweuo123

where do doom psx sounds come from?

1 hour ago, mrthejoshmon said:

I think Aubrey Hodges made most of them, not sure.

One I do know the origin of is the Plasma sound, that's from Terminator.

really? how come they didn't get in trouble from riping off terminator sounds?

3 hours ago, qweqioweuo123 said:

really? how come they didn't get in trouble from riping off terminator sounds?

Likely came from the Sound Ideas General Sound Library.

Odd piece of trivia: The plasma sound is actually indirectly from the Terminator - Dwango5 ripped it from the Terminator and in turn PSX Doom ripped it and cropped it from Dwango5.

9 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Odd piece of trivia: The plasma sound is actually indirectly from the Terminator - Dwango5 ripped it from the Terminator and in turn PSX Doom ripped it and cropped it from Dwango5.

so how come no one involved ever got into any copyright problems?

if some non commercial mod ripped a sound from a movie, can I rip it off from the non commercial mod which ripped off the movie, sell my commercial product and get away with it?

Plus video games still weren't common place and as big as they are today; Duke 3D got away with ripping off one liners from several movies back in the 90s yet today big publishers can threaten to sue you if your game name has a word similar to one of their own IPs

6 hours ago, wheresthebeef said:

Plus video games still weren't common place and as big as they are today; Duke 3D got away with ripping off one liners from several movies back in the 90s yet today big publishers can threaten to sue you if your game name has a word similar to one of their own IPs

But Duke3D and Doom are still commercial titles, they could make money from suing isnt it? Duke3D for instance, ripped off many sounds from Jurassic Park as well.

I believe they also fall under the category of "sampling" due to crafty editing, it's like what Bobby Prince did with the original Doom midis.

This gives them some crafty legal dodges.

3 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

I believe they also fall under the category of "sampling" due to crafty editing, it's like what Bobby Prince did with the original Doom midis.

They sound like straight ripoffs to me, just downsampled to 22khz 8bit or whatever native duke used lol

Many sounds you hear in both films and video games that are not dialogue come from large sound libraries which are often royalty free. A lot of shows and movies actually had the Doom door sound for various bits of machinery as an example.

You wanna talk about rips in Duke games, just look at all the plagiarized art from the Turrican games in 1 and 2. That's just fucking shameful, and I'm surprised no one ever gives Apogee shit for it.

As for samples, far as I'm concerned it's fine, especially in music, where you can't even argue that it isn't transformative.

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Many sounds you hear in both films and video games that are not dialogue come from large sound libraries which are often royalty free. A lot of shows and movies actually had the Doom door sound for various bits of machinery as an example.

I know, but the sounds from the overlord in duke are ripped from Jurassic Park and the Jurassic Park guys actually went to zoos to record and then process the sounds.

On 12/02/2018 at 11:26 PM, mrthejoshmon said:

Bobby Prince didn't sample anything.

1 hour ago, Jon said:

Isn't that how they explained how he got away with the blatant copyright infringing music?

4 hours ago, Jon said:

Yes he did, or whoever was in charge of doing the Duke Nukem 3D sound effects, at least for the Overlord, because these are from Jurasic Park 1 (the t-rex)

13 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

Isn't that how they explained how he got away with the blatant copyright infringing music?

I don't know who explained what, feel free to share a link, but here's the definition of sampling, and Bobby Prince didn't do that.

11 hours ago, qweqioweuo123 said:

Yes he did, or whoever was in charge of doing the Duke Nukem 3D sound effects, at least for the Overlord, because these are from Jurasic Park 1 (the t-rex)

I don't know anything about Duke3D. I see Bobby Prince is co-credited with SFX; however, my post was directly in response to a post about Doom's music.

On 2/14/2018 at 4:52 AM, Blastfrog said:

You wanna talk about rips in Duke games, just look at all the plagiarized art from the Turrican games in 1 and 2. That's just fucking shameful, and I'm surprised no one ever gives Apogee shit for it.

The first Duke stole graphics from mega man too

megamandos1-03.pngdukenukem-comp1.png

megamandos1-07.pngdukenukem-comp2.png