Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xvertigox

Looking to play and record your maps

You can try both. It shouldn't take much your time. First one is plain vanilla and second map is in boom format.

Good luck if you pick up both maps.

2 hours ago, bonnie said:

boxes all the way down

texture extravaganza submission, uses extremely limited randomly selected texture set

bon_boxes_v5.zip

both -complevel 9

play game yes

I started playing through boxes and got 40min in so I'll have to do it as a two-parter or redo the whole map in one again. Is the monster count accurate?? I'm at 434 kills at 38min played.

On a related note - you (and other posters) mention complevels, I've been doing all my FDAs using GZDoom and Dead Marine purely for aesthetics. You can check my previous videos to see those in action.

If you need prboom+ or crispy etc to be used can you please specify otherwise I'll default to GZ + Dead Marine.

Also if you have no text file with the wad and jumping is required please specify otherwise I won't jump. I was playing through boxes and came across the plasmagun + megaarmor and couldn't figure out how to get there without jumping. I just don't want to break your wads.

So yeah, it's 7:35am here in NZ, I've been up all night recording videos so I'll be coming back to do all these tomorrow. I'll give every map posted a play and will complete them (unless its a slaughterwad that's just way too hard for me or the map is just way too long (1hr+)).

Edited by xvertigox

It says this in the post, but I'll repeat it here for convenience: Jumping is strongly recommended. Be sure you have it bound to a very convenient key. Freelook is assumed, but probably not required. 

Awesome, thanks for the specifics people, it's much appreciated. Also for my own edification if you have any notes on the videos let me know. I'm pretty much just freeballing it this point so any pointers are useful. Cheers.

8 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

If you're open to playing it I'll feature your video(s) on the website for my mod - Skulldash: Expanded Edition. Good luck with your video endeavours!

Absolutely. I've done a fair bit of speedrunning in various games (some in Doom too) so this is right up my alley :) I'll record some stuff and we'll take it from there.

You are going to have a lot of people wanting their maps played, so if you don't get around to my maps, I understand. If you want to only play a couple rather than all 14, I choose EMP08 and EMP09. These UDMF maps require at least Zandronum, so GZDoom is fine. Freelook and jumping and crouching are neither required nor forbidden, but I do encourage freelook. Also, auto-aim is not your friend.

I have added a custom skill level Slaughter replacing Nightmare at level 5. For an even bigger challenge, summon and remove a bot to fool the game into thinking it is multiplayer, and all the coop-only monsters will appear when you restart the map.

EMP10 and EMP31 each has a secret exit near the start that is revealed when the normal exit is revealed.

1 hour ago, xvertigox said:

Is the monster count accurate?? I'm at 434 kills at 38min played.

yes, but kinda misleading, you'll see why towards the end (it is indeed quite long though)

1 hour ago, xvertigox said:

I was playing through boxes and came across the plasmagun + megaarmor and couldn't figure out how to get there without jumping.

no jumping

well actually yes jump, but not the conventional kind c; (that's ur hint)

You are going to have a lot of people wanting their maps played, so if you don't get around to my maps, I understand. If you want to only play a couple rather than all 14, I choose EMP08 and EMP09.

I'm going to be doing /a lot/ of videos (did 8 yesterday) so I'll definitely get around your maps. 14 is probably a bit much, I'm sort of aiming for a max of 3-5 per wad depending on map runtime but I'll definitely give those two a try. I'll see how the difficulty is on UV then try 'NM'.

no jumping

well actually yes jump, but not the conventional kind c; (that's ur hint)

Ok cool, good to know. Are you ok with GZDoom or do you need it in prboom+?

I'll be jamming a few of the shorter maps when I get home from work today (11am currently - home at ~5pm) then doing a whooooleee heap more tomorrow and especially over the weekend. I literally didn't sleep last night so I don't have heaps of energy but the yearn for Dooming is too strong :)

Edited by xvertigox

15 hours ago, Payload4367 said:

Dark Invaders (single, short map made while learning GZdoombuilder)

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/drkinvds

... at the time, I did not know about slade, lumps, etc. so just drag the zip file onto your gzdoom shortcut to load any resources.

I started with this wad as it seemed like it'd be the shortest (10:30pm here and I still haven't slept from last night). Check the FDA below and the review in the Youtube description spoiler:

Spoiler

the map is dope

You'll also notice I've stopped using any graphics/sound wads other than Peter's Sexy Hud. I'll try to do another map tonight but I've taken a sleeping pill so we'll see if I can / if it's worth posting.

15 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

You can try both. It shouldn't take much your time. First one is plain vanilla and second map is in boom format.

Here is the FDA for Darkness Flaw. Sorry the review in the description isn't as verbose as usual, quetiapine is kicking in like a mofo now. For the following videos I will be turning ingame sound and music up one notch / turning my mic down. If anyone has any other suggestions let me know. I think I can finally sleep now so I'll see you peeps tomorrow with some more videos <3

On 2/14/2018 at 11:22 AM, Kloki38 said:

Some time ago I made a map you might be interested in. It is called Minos and it is a single player Boom compatible map that  takes place in an old mansion with ancient catacombs full of hellknights underneath.

You can find it here :

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/m-o/minos

A large (large) map based around the mansion of King Minos - father of the Minotaur.

I did not enjoy this map. It is very large and confusing - to the point where I didn't know where to go and had to call it quits after ~45 minutes. It's non-linear (which is good) but in a confusing way, there is no flow at all and lot's of pointless rooms that add to the confusion.

The texturing is strange in a lot of places and the aesthetic theme is so disjointed I'd call it schizophrenic.  In one room you're in a UAC techbase then you're back in the medieval mansion and then there's STARTAN on some walls. It makes no sense at all.

The best parts of the map were the "mansion-y" parts, the dinner table, the library, the hallways etc. If the map was 33% of the size and thematically consistent it could be fairly enjoyable. Some encounters were fun, most were pretty mediocre though (chaingun snipers can get fucked).

I'm shitting on this map pretty bad but there is definite potential. There were several nice looking AND fun rooms, I think this map was just overly ambitious.

If you have other (shorter/smaller) wads I'd be interested in trying them out.

On 2/14/2018 at 6:00 AM, Alter said:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/evshrine

Evershrine.

A 3-map set for Boom (-cl 9), i'm specifically looking for pointers if I ever go around doing a sequel, so I can improve my style.

//I've played map01. In the video I say I'm going to do all 3 back to back but I don't have time (saw higher monster count so figured it's longer) but I will play the other two as well. I'll also be more cognizant of sequel improvement points while playing the next two maps.

The map opens very strongly by letting you chaingun snipe barrels to blow up imps for the first minute. There's a blue theme which is striking and looks damn good. Throughout the map looks pleasant, there's always something interesting to look at and it is a bit varied. The chill midi also matches the chill gameplay.

I'm excited to play the next two maps :)

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/evshrine

Edited by xvertigox

On 2/14/2018 at 9:48 AM, Glaice said:

Felt like a PWAD made it the late 90s with good gameplay. This sort of thing is what I hope to find when I go trawling through idgames looking for old WADs.

I'd like to see similar sort of thing but in a 1994/1995 style too. The map was pretty easy which would make more sense if it was E2M1 of an actual full E2 replacement especially given how short it is.  I'm also going to look for really good Doom 1 megawads so hit me up if you've got any to recommend. I'm gonna go check your other maps. BTW Do you prefer Chris or Glaice?

p:s play this https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/s-u/uac_dead

Edit: BTW, the idgames links to your wads are broken on your wiki, you have to manually find the file on idgames.

If you like old school, perhaps you'd be willing, at your convenience, to take a look at this n00b's (my) effort. There are eight custom maps in there at different slots, but specifically I'm interested in Map 19 at the moment.

Standard limit removing Doom 2.

3 hours ago, xvertigox said:

//I've played map01. In the video I say I'm going to do all 3 back to back but I don't have time (saw higher monster count so figured it's longer) but I will play the other two as well. I'll also be more cognizant of sequel improvement points while playing the next two maps.

I loved the FDA and the video! I am hyped for the rest, glad you enjoyed the first map :>. And yeah, I love using revenants hahaha, I need to make fun encounters with other monster types.

11 hours ago, xvertigox said:

I'd like to see similar sort of thing but in a 1994/1995 style too. The map was pretty easy which would make more sense if it was E2M1 of an actual full E2 replacement especially given how short it is.  I'm also going to look for really good Doom 1 megawads so hit me up if you've got any to recommend. I'm gonna go check your other maps. BTW Do you prefer Chris or Glaice?

Glaice. Also thanks for finding the broken link (fixed now) there, they were working last time. Seems I'll have to fix them once again.

To continue the journey from Stoned, play Iconic, then Abyssus, then Centrum and finally Maledictio. This was gonna be a full E2 replacement but never finished it.

Edited by Glaice

I just wanna say I appreciate the time you are taking to do this, its a really cool feeling watching somebody play your map. Heres mine if you have time for it:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/hellcmp

It was constructed in 2 1/2 weeks, it takes between 15-20 minutes. There are plenty of secrets and maybe a puzzle or two, lots of stuff to do. I would recommend saving often, as there are several pretty nasty traps located throughout the map, and the ending especially can be pretty arduous. If you ever get around to it, I'd appreciate it, thanks a ton. I liked your videos for the DW megawad club by the way, very fun to watch :)