Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xvertigox

Looking to play and record your maps

In Empyrion, the camera gives you invulnerability while you are viewing it and for 3 seconds after, so you don't have to worry about being killed while viewing a camera. The camera shows you what the switch does, so you don't have to just wonder what it does, and it changes the view only for the player who used the switch.

You were right about the Skulltag weapons (all 4 of them) being defined in the pk3. I made an add-on to turn the Skulltag weapons into the the standard weapons in order to not break mods that wouldn't know what to do with them. I will add a link to it in the Empyrion thread.

Taking your advice, I will start billing them as coop maps with single-player support.

49 minutes ago, Empyre said:

In Empyrion, the camera gives you invulnerability while you are viewing it and for 3 seconds after, so you don't have to worry about being killed while viewing a camera. The camera shows you what the switch does, so you don't have to just wonder what it does, and it changes the view only for the player who used the switch.

Oh cool, that's a good way to do it.

Taking your advice, I will start billing them as coop maps with single-player support.

Good idea IMO. I'd just be sure to be clear that it needs to be played on Slaughter or something.

http://www.mediafire.com/?97i3qltt4yxx31i

Just a REALLY OLD open wide city map I made when I was 14-15 years old back in 1997 (am 35 now). It replaces MAP13 and requires a lot of running back and forth between several buildings and if you don't know where you're going, it can take an upward of 30 minutes.

I know you have a backlog of some of my more recent maps but this is one of my oldest maps available.

https://mega.nz/#!coZFWYBK!NaxOn2OyZ1eQB-gaIi0tQctFcqxwpiJcDj2lOBGL-ek

This is an existing megawad I created with bugfixing from the late Jive back in 2004, it replaces E1M1 through E3M4 (no secrets replaced) and was my first attempt at a multi-map WAD for Doom. This is only modified recently because I removed the sound effects that the one on the archive has since some were rather dumb after a while.The music for E3M1 through E3M3 are rather splendid choices however.

Kinda late mentioning this but in your video I asked you about your brightness and OpenGL settings because this was how the map is supposed to look which adds to the experience.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180220_213725.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180220_213730.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180220_213811.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180220_214027.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180220_214100.png

44 minutes ago, GenoCL said:

Kinda late mentioning this but in your video I asked you about your brightness and OpenGL settings because this was how the map is supposed to look which adds to the experience.

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20180220_213725.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180220_213730.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180220_213811.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180220_214027.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180220_214100.png

Mine still looks like this. I'm running GZDoom SVN (from within last week), OpenGL, Dynamic Lights enabled etc. Not sure why it's not showing up?

Apologizes that your map didn't look as intended in the video, I will make a note in the description. If you can link me to an imgur gallery of screenshots of what it should look like I will link that also.

Spoiler

SyHawZI.png

BfiFyIf.png

Edit: Looks like your pics in Zand but not in GZDoom. Which are you running? I'll keep troubleshooting my end because GZ should have dynamic lights...

Edit 2: I wasn't loading lights.pk3. I'm used to Zand where you dont need to load it manually so my bad. Again, if you link me to an imgur gallery I'll put it at top of the description. Sorry again for my noobiness.

Edited by xvertigox

@bonnie Done! Sorry again for taking so long to play one of your maps, I hope you enjoy it. 

//NOTE: I find get lost at 31:17 and find the correct path at 37:33 so feel you can skip that part if you don't want to watch me run around like a dummy

This is bonnie's entry to the Doomworld Mega Project 2017. This level takes place (mostly) in a sprawling sewer system. Bonnie has the finesse to actually make the sewers not only look good but varied too with different styles and liquids.

This map has great detailing all the way through it. At one point you through an office with cubicles complete with keyboards and mice, mugs with coffee in them, overflowing toilets, rainy windows and you can crawl through the vents.

The non-linear level design was great too, it features a lot of loops that work really well for flow. I did get lost for quite a while but it was due to my own mistake, I missed an elevator despite having used an elevator that had the same texture before.

The combat is just as good as the map design and detailing itself with smart encounters which challenge how you would normally tackle a monster. A good example of this is fighting a revenant on nukage so you have to stand on edges of the sewer to avoid damage. The section with the big circle arena that raises and fills with monsters was very entertaining especially since your rockets go down since you're moving upward.

Then I got to outdoor / lava area. Holy fuck, the difficulty ramped up so much that it's nuts. I always play on UV unless told to otherwise and god. damn. that shit was hard. It was doable though, you just have to know what needs to be done. I didn't find many secrets at all so maybe it's way easier if you do find them since the issue was ammo. If I had more ammo it would have been /a lot/ easier.

Personally, I like the difficulty spike at the end. The last say, 25% of the map is 10x harder than anything before and actually finishing it is satisfying as hell.

I highly recommend playing this level and will be checking out bonnie's other map from the DW thread - boxes all the way down - but now I really need a breather.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q78hxgx5zxbncjr/bonsewersv5_5.wad?dl=1

DWMP 2017: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/92522-doomworld-mega-project-2017-final/

@Glaice Needed a nice, short map after sewers so I did another of yours. Have you compiled the completed E2 replacement maps into a single WAD?

An E2M2 replacement, by Glaice, that is part of a full E2 replacement which was unfortunately never completed.

The map has a very classic/ID feel to it which serves it well. This means the detailing is present but not overdone although I did find some texture choices strange, especially one of the bar doors.

I like the start area not being a small, self contained room and I also appreciate the little outdoor area connecting the two main areas. The flow is nice with a few good loops and windows into where you'll be going (such as seeing the blue key).

The maps claims to be harder than stoned which it is and this is done primarily through pinky traps and teleporting shotgunners. The map is still quite easy and could be completed without dying without too much hassle. This isn't a bad thing and again makes me wish that this full E2 replacement was complete as so far both maps have been an enjoyable, relaxing play. I think a big part of this is that it is a Doom wad and not a Doom 2 wad meaning the bestiary is a lot more forgiving.

It's a solid map and I look forward to playing more from Glaice (Mr. Chris).

Download: https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/15678-iconic/

Other content by Glaice: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/User:Mrchris

The maps are already on /idgames/ but I see no point in reuploading it in a mapset unless I muster the energy to create M6, M7, M8 and maybe M9. That and maybe tweaking existing maps.

Edit: Left a large comment on the above video.

Edited by Glaice

If you play empyrion in Zandronum, you can type multiplayer in the console and then restart the map to get the coop monsters without having to deal with bots. Or, put +multiplayer in the Extra Parameters tab of Doomseeker's Create Game window. You also respawn just like coop.

Zandronum's multiplayer emulation mode has no voodoo doll support, but that's why my maps don't use voodoo dolls. Just know that maps that depend on voodoo dolls are broken in that mode.

@Myst.Haruko

The map description states that Haruko tried to express his depressive feelings through the texturing and that came through. The dim lighting and midi went a long way in helping it to sell the depressive feeling.

The geometry was solid with some particularly nice detailing here and there but the actual layout was really good. The central hub worked well with keeping you on track.

The monster placement was on point and led to interesting fights - particularly the ones involving archviles. I really found the difficulty to be just about perfect on UV.

The crescendo at the end worked very well where it was tough but understandable and beatable. At first it's a chaotic mess of monsters, archviles and an Icon of Sin but as you work your way through the madness it starts to make sense.

It takes care and attention to try to express something as abstract as an emotion (other than rage) through Doom wads and I think Greymood did that with the gameplay to back it up. I'd be interested to hear from Haruko if any particular set-piece or element was representative of anything.

I recommend checking this map out and also Darkness Flaw which is also by MysteriousHaruko.

I hope you're feeling a bit better now bud because your map made my day more enjoyable.

Download: https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/18862-greymood/

Darkness Flaw: https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/18987-darkness-flaw/

Spoiler

For track related to depression (whole album is about depression) check this out. If it's not your style then it's worth reading the lyrics, my favorite being:

"We all have dark days, for me the darkness stays

I have one wish, let me forget the hell I’m in."

Hey, thank you for playing this map, it means a lot for me. It's kind of milestone on my mapping hobby, because it was received quite well after previous maps, which I've never released in idgames, because they sucked so hard. Well, for now I don't know what future will give me(I'm so uninspired and my creativity is dropped down past few weeks), but I'm planning to do more than single maps this time(maybe 3-5 maps in one wad), when all things will return to stable position. 

Do you care if the wad has new monsters or not? I'd like someone good to give me an opinion on a level for a pack before I release it to the public. A lot of the levels are very hard but an alpha of 16 of them should be available shortly one I get credits sorted out 

On 2/20/2018 at 10:19 PM, xvertigox said:

i love you

some notes of my own:

• yes i am a world-famous doom mapper that everyone knows and respects
    • please keep believing this forever
  • i am extremely happy you found the alex jones room, that's like the only secret i really cared about
    • that and the vent secret, which i was really spooked that you wouldn't find it
      • and also there was a secret bfg in that ammo cubby next to the cyberdemon heh
  • the stairs in the vents don't get raised until later in the level to restrict your access, so it's not really that non-linear ;~;
  • you can turn off the ugly night vision mememode in display->opengl, near the top where it says """enhanced""" night vision mode
  • at the red key door, the trick was to not keep the door open so that everything would kill each other while you sat outside twiddling your thumbs
  • you picked up berserk in the dark sewers when you went down the big stairs but never realized, probably because of the night vision
  • the place you thought was pointless around 45 minutes in had like a 100 cells there, above the little pit
    • there was a cheeky little rad suit around the edge of that area too that you missed because i made it blend in super hard
  • i'm vvv glad you struggled to cheese the ending, it brought joy to my heart
  • edit: i love the thumbnail

you were ur own worst enemy and you still won really hard

so uh, are ya gonna play my other map c:

i understand if you dont, but i feel like while the overall difficulty might be a little higher it doesn't spike like that at the end so it'll be much easier for you best friend

also the ending (for my other map) is kinda just nothing because i didn't feel like making a real one so it'll be a nice little breeze

and again, the monster count is super misleading

just know that it too implores a lot of exploring (at first) and ammo conservation (i think), just like this one did, and it'll probably take less than this did since you already played part of it

love, bonnie

Edited by bonnie

18 hours ago, Scorpinax said:

Do you care if the wad has new monsters or not? I'd like someone good to give me an opinion on a level for a pack before I release it to the public. A lot of the levels are very hard but an alpha of 16 of them should be available shortly one I get credits sorted out 

Not really. My personal preference is straight Doom 1/2 maps with maybe custom textures but I'll be playing all sorts. My logic is that once we start getting into custom monsters and then weapons it becomes more of a mod review where as I'm looking for Doom maps.

I'd like if you play one of the 2 maps that I have for you.
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=55822 <-----The UAC Ocean Base or/and Painful Cave :)

I'll be checking them out. When I do depends on how long they are. I've still got page 1 maps to go through and some maps have custom monsters, are made for Brutal Doom etc so that makes them lower on my list to play tbh (but I still will). I need to sit down and play some of the maps posted earlier rather than just chow down on @Glaice's maps like the glutton I am. That being said I'll probably play one of his next...

<3 @bonnie <3 I'll def play crates

Alright, just one note for the future if you seek more secrets in my maps - look at the walls. I often put stuff behind the walls and sightly make textures not right. Yeah, I should be more creative with secrets, but whatever. It hurts to know that you were so close to them and still couldn't discover it.  Always inspect wall textures and misalignments on them. Good luck ;)

@Alter

I played map01 of Evershrine by Alter and really enjoyed. I've now played map02 and honestly, I loved it.

The flow of the map was impressive, you never got lost or confused in the non-linear level (A, B, C really help with that). There was great use of loops to keep you moving and on track at the same time.

Visually the map is magnificent. It carries on some elements from map01 while introducing new ones with the green marble textured areas. Those areas were some of the most impressive looking. Each of the A, B and C areas look beautiful and played just as well.

The length of the map was just right for this difficulty. It ended right when I wanted it to but still left me wanting more.

The monster placement was just right leading to interesting fights with one being very difficult but still enjoyable. The map never felt unfair and every time I got fucked by revenants it was because I wasn't paying attention. The consistency of monster use and placement adds to the maps cohesion and makes things feel like they are where they should be.

Alter asked for suggestions for a sequel - keep doing this. Make more maps like these. Having a mix of a bunch of short maps like map01 then medium maps like map02 then a climax with a huge map could work well. I'd like it if it went (not literally but similarly) short map, short map, medium map, short map, medium map etc etc. Sprinkle in some short and sweet maps like map01. That depends on how long you want the mapset to be and I do appreciate that just because a map is short does not mean it is quick and easy to make.

I am very much looking forward to map03 and will be playing that soon.

Download: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/evshrine

14 hours ago, xvertigox said:

I'll be checking them out. When I do depends on how long they are.

UAC Ocean Base can take you around 20 to 30 minutes, and Painful Cave can take you around 7 to 13 minutes. All depending of how are your skills and how you play the maps. Good luck.

Hey! I see that you are playing casual wads for forum users, that's a big gesture of your part!

Thanks to you i played some interesting wads in this post and as everyong are posting their wads, i want to to give my gram of sand:

This WAD is named "Lust for kill"

It's my first wad and took 4 months to complete it, i wanted to add even more stuff like different gameplay and monsters but my knowledge about programming was low and some textures was hard to put because i didn't know how to patch the textures on a wad.

But after all said the game includes 3 maps, 4 diferent weapons and a remastered weapon, new monsters and improved textures, i really hope you would enjoy it.

@leodoom85

Painful Cave is a speedmap by leodoom85 inspired by speedmap sessions like Pigeon so was made, presumably, in 2-3 hours.

It's a fun little map consisting mostly of working your way through a cave to an (fairly easy) arena battle with some techbase areas thrown in.

The cave itself didn't get repetitive and was broken up with some outdoor action. The outdoor area was more like detailing but it really helped. Having some open sky in the middle of the cave was a nice accent with some good detailing in the area in particular.

There was good detailing throughout the whole map actually, all the way from the cave to the techbase. It was never really visually boring but it was never stunning either which makes sense for a speedmap.

Gameplaywise it's not too painful~ You get enough health and ammo on UV that you can go around just blasting monsters with rockets and plasma without worrying about conserving ammo too much. There was no annoying monster placement which is a big deal. You don't *need* to craft amazing fights for a fun map, killing monster is in and of itself fun so decent monster placement combined with visually solid level make for an amusing time.

If you're after a fun 10 minute Doom session you should check it out.

@xvertigox

Thanks to your FDAs I was inspired to actually try to start the sequel, i'll see where it goes but consider this screenshot a testimony to how awesome your FDAs are!
4CHxdnT.png

@Glaice

Author                : Mr. Chris
Description          : A techbase to blast your way through.

That tells you pretty much all you need to know.

A competent map by Glaice. It's a quick romp through a cramped techbase with classic sensibilities. It has the Glaice feel to it where it has the looks of a 90s/00s map (which I dig - I love 90s maps) with thought out enemy and item placement.

There isn't really too much to say about this map other than it's a short and sweet techbase map. It's nothing new or particularly special but it does the trick.

I played through it again and finished it in just over 4 minutes.

Download: https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/16746-whack/
Glaice's Wiki Page: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/User:Mrchris

40 minutes ago, Alter said:

@xvertigox

Thanks to your FDAs I was inspired to actually try to start the sequel, i'll see where it goes but consider this screenshot a testimony to how awesome your FDAs are!

Dude, yes. I'm fkn stoked. I'm really glad you like the videos. I love playing Doom and I being able to express appreciation to content creators by making something in return is awesome. Thanks man, it means a lot.

@Alter

The third and final map of the Ever Shrine mapset by Alter feels like the cherry on top of the wad. It plays like a reward for the player where you get to hose down swarms of monsters with the plasma gun and blow revenants to shit with the rocket launcher with no concern for ammo.

The theme of this maps is "grand". Huge structures, hordes of monsters to slaughter and plenty of space to maneuver in. The detailing is done intelligently where it's mostly vertical (i.e towers) or done via texturing. This means the map has visual fidelity while not having nooks and crannies that block your path as you try to dodge a stream of revenant rockets.

This map is a lot easier than map02 and is very satisfying to play. It gets to the core of Doom which is "killing shit = fun" and lets you do that while keeping things interesting. Unless you mess up there isn't too much worry since there is so much space to move in and copious rockets/cells. Even the cumulative end battle with the cyberdemon and 6 archviles wasn't difficult but was still very satisfying.

You definitely see Alter's style come through in this map despite it being so different to the first two. The trope of picking up lots of health and armor bonuses was tied in nicely with the slaughter style by having them circle the area so as you naturally circle strafe the 50+ monsters you're fighting you're constantly picking up items.

A great map to finish off an awesome set, be sure to download it and give it a go yourself, you'll be very happy that you did.

Download: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/evshrine

Map01 FDA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q55E5PYV948
Map02 FDA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0He0KhYnlc

Edited by xvertigox

@NaturalTvventy

Bad Religion is the perfect title for this map - it's covered with pentagrams and inverted crosses. Unfortunately, it's also covered in unnecessary custom monsters and has a lack of door textures.

The map has a chaotic feel to it in gameplay and looks but also in the flow. I found myself lost for considerable chunks of time due to a lack of textures indicating doors.

There's more than a handful of custom monsters that I don't see a reason for adding. They aren't used particularly well for the most part (i.e slightly different imp next to default imp - why?) and just add to the confusion. If this map used default monsters with 3 or 4 custom ones it'd be much better IMO.

There's at least two custom weapons, a rifle that acts essentially as a sniper and the mancubus cannons. The rifle is necessary for this map as it is now as it only uses one bullet but does massive damage.

There were some really good elements to this map, particularly the pentagram set-piece and the whole demonic/anti-christ theme but I feel this was overshadowed by the confusing layout and superfluous custom monsters. I think if the fat was trimmed from this map it could be quite good but I doubt NaturalTvventy would want to strip out so much from the map. I'd be interested in seeing vanilla WADs from NaturalTvventy for sure.

I'd say give this map a go but if you're not enjoying it within the first 10 minutes then just quit because it's just more of the same after that.

Thread/Download: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/95027-bad-religion-released/