Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xvertigox

Looking to play and record your maps

hopefully final update to my sick boxes map after mr. hak gave his life for my sins

bon_boxes_v7.zip

i probably should have just edited this to another post

i'm a spamming fool

@Glaice

Chill base is techbase boom map by Glaice originally meant for a 6 map set but has been released as a standalone map. It's a typical early map techbase but executed well.

It's more detailed than the other Glaice maps I've played so far but keeps the classic charm. It's also a lot nastier when it comes to traps without throwing a load of monsters at you at once.

The map has good progression where it naturally leads you to previous areas rather than forcing you backtrack with a nice little loop.

I'd say this is one of my favorite maps by Glaice that I've played so far. It's bite sized Doom fun and I recommend giving it a playthrough.

Download: https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/19042-chill-base/

@bonnie Your map is next and then @DooM_RO I'll be doing the first map of your three. @Dragonfly I'll be doing a Skulldash video either tomorrow or day after depending on schedule and then the final map for you @Myst.Haruko (unless you have more). Cheers everyone.

18 hours ago, xvertigox said:

@bonnie Your map is next and then @DooM_RO I'll be doing the first map of your three. @Dragonfly I'll be doing a Skulldash video either tomorrow or day after depending on schedule and then the final map for you @Myst.Haruko (unless you have more). Cheers everyone.

Please don't forget me: EMP10 in empyrion_v39.pk3 in Slaughter skill level.

3 hours ago, Empyre said:

Please don't forget me: EMP10 in empyrion_v39.pk3 in Slaughter skill level.

Sweet, I'll give it a go as an SP map to see how viable it is.

3 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

If anyone wants to try my Precision (plain version), here it is. You will need to play this with Boom because you will be barbequed by arch-viles if playing it with ZDoom-driven source ports. 

https://www.doomworld.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=25101

I'll add it to my 'to play' list. I'm at work so can't check the monster count or readme, what's the expected playtime?

Oops! I meant EMP09, Descent, not EMP10, Into Hell, although that wouldn't be a bad choice for a third map of mine to play, if you want to. You already played EMP08, Temples. Both maps are bigger than Temples, so I would guesstimate the play-time to be about 1.5 times as long as Temples, perhaps a little bit more on the Slaughter skill level. I think that Descent is clearly better than Temples, while Into Hell is in between, a lot like temples, but not as repetitive, with each building being unique.

Edited by Empyre

I don't know if you put my other maps on your list or not, but here's a formal request for Map 22 from Crossbearer - get latest version from here.

I would guess it will take you 20-25 minutes with commentary.

14 hours ago, xvertigox said:

Sweet, I'll give it a go as an SP map to see how viable it is.

I'll add it to my 'to play' list. I'm at work so can't check the monster count or readme, what's the expected playtime?

It takes somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes. It's a short level.

@bonnie

Bonnie's submission for the Texture Extravaganza project is a tightly balanced and creative map. Limited to 4 textures and flats Bonnie manages to several ways to keep the 40min+ map interesting and fresh. What I expected to be a giant crate maze ended up with huge outdoor areas and trips to the void (along with a giant cratemaze).

I found the difficulty to be almost perfect where I had to stay engaged constantly to survive but I wasn't dying unless I messed up. The health and ammo balance is spot on all the way through to the large encounters at the end of the map.

The traps are well thought out; they are rough but not unfair. Smart use of pinkies/specters went a long way. Then there's the trap where you have the crushers in play which again keep the map feeling fresh.

The map looks pretty good visually for the most part then really good in other parts. There's only so much you can do with an E2M2 type cratemaze but then when you get to giant crate pyramid or the void it looks really fucking cool. I'd recommend playing through the map just for those, it's worth noclipping around or using IDKFA to get all the keys to see all the interesting set-pieces. Pay attention to string changes too :)

I can't find much to fault on this map to be honest. Bonnie executed the concept very well. I highly recommend downloading and playing through this map yourself.

Download: https://www.doomworld.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=28233

//Edit Note: Textures were randomly selected, not specifically chosen by Bonnie

Here's a map that I made for the vinesauce mapping contest. I had Hak3180 play it already, and would love to get your opinion as  well. 

Length: takes me 10 minutes, but it's a bit back-tracky, so expect up to 20+ minutes.

Source port: Gzdoom

Custom assets: Quake 4 textures, converted by me, and a soundtrack that I didn't quite get to finish, so expect it to get a bit repetitive. 

Jumping and crouching are not required.

Iwad: Doom 2

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/gv7exec56wk6b2q/SigmaWasteFacility.wad

Any feedback, positive or negative, would be much appreciated. 

I just thought I'd mention, there is a little switch puzzle that several people have gotten stuck on, so I'll just give you a little hint. After you hit the first switch, you only have to hit one of the other switches, however I won't tell you which of the other switches it is lol.

@Dragonfly

YouTube compression really did a number on this map.... I had a look at your T1 100% video and looks like it artifacted your's to hell and back too but nonetheless here it is. I'll be doing the other maps for you too which will look a lot nicer.

Edited by xvertigox

Great run Vertigo! Close call on the thin railings earlier in the stage, but you seemed very confident throughout despite that shakeup. How many practice attempts did this take? :)

6 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Great run Vertigo! Close call on the thin railings earlier in the stage, but you seemed very confident throughout despite that shakeup. How many practice attempts did this take? :)

Thanks, it took a fair few to be honest. It took a little while to be able to complete the map smoothly and then a whole bunch more to be able to make a good video (i.e not missing any tokens with silly mistakes and getting the beginning how I want it). Around 1.5 -  2.0 hours total. I actually really liked that map, I'm gonna play through the other two Gotta Go Fast maps for myself pretty soon.

Ah, there's no other 'race maps' so to speak, although I did consider it!

Maybe one day I'll make more haha.

@ExoticTrash

This is ExoticTrash's first map and it definitely shows. It's a short, linear, boxy GZDoom.

I won't go into specifics for this written review as I go into detail in the video specifically for ExoticTrash. The one thing I will mention (because I forgot to in the video) is this should be a vanilla map as the only ZDoom effect is a reflective floor. Having it be a GZDoom map immediately limits how many people will play it as a lot of people play primarily in prboom+

Download: http://www.moddb.com/mods/castle-of-ash

@DooM_RO map01 of RetributioN is uploading currently and will be posted once it's done

@DooM_RO

The first map of the RetributioN is a huge, sprawling techbase that's being taken over by hell or at least has hellish influences. This map really is huge - it clocks in at 600+ monsters and 18 secrets.

I'm impressed at how consistently detailed the map is despite it's size. In particular I liked the hellish areas (the red hex area specifically) and where sectors were used for ground patterns (UAC logo, health areas etc). There were a few minor issues here and there with texture alignments, lower unpegging etc but they truly are minor.

For a map it's size the flow and progression was solid. The couple of times I did get lost was due to my own inattention/donkey brains rather than the map. That being said you really do have to pay attention to what's going on or you will get lost. As you'd expect for a map this size there's a good amount of non-linearity. There's more than one occasion where you open a door and are presented with three totally different large areas to explore.

The secrets on this map are a testament to how much thought was put into it. There's clear telegraphing in places and you have to use your brain to solve puzzles to get to other secrets. I especially liked the secret where you have to turn around and shoot the switch to get the megaarmor. One of the early secrets with the barons and invulnerability+berserk was great too. The secrets are definitely one the maps strongest points.

The map is interesting monsterwise as it's quite restrained in it's bestiary. Your primary enemies will be revenants, imps, sargents and pinkies. The map isn't overly hard unless you make mistakes (like I did..) but the tight ammo keep things interesting. There are a few interesting fights where you come across big hordes of monsters such as the cyberdemon and spider mastermind battles. You also get ample opportunity to use your rocket launcher to blow away groups of imps and zombiemen. There's a few nasty traps but nothing over the top.

This map was very enjoyable and never felt like a slog. The progression was such that you knew what that switch you just flipped did despite not hearing a door open so you don't get frustratingly lost. I highly recommend playing through this and look forward to playing the next two maps.

Download: https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/18762-retribution-trilogy/

@xvertigox

Thank you for playing my map and I really enjoyed your playthrough! You missed quite a lot of stuff, including the early Plasma Rifle and BFG but I am glad that did not give you too much trouble.

When you finish the series, maybe you could also copy-paste the written parts of the review on the WAD page. 

4 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

@xvertigox

Thank you for playing my map and I really enjoyed your playthrough! You missed quite a lot of stuff, including the early Plasma Rifle and BFG but I am glad that did not give you too much trouble.

When you finish the series, maybe you could also copy-paste the written parts of the review on the WAD page. 

Glad you liked it :) I figured I missed heaps given how many secrets there are. I'm definitely gonna play through again and try to get 100% secrets.

I'll collate all the written portions together once done and post the review :)

Just now, xvertigox said:

Glad you liked it :) I figured I missed heaps given how many secrets there are. I'm definitely gonna play through again and try to get 100% secrets.

I'll collate all the written portions together once done and post the review :)

Thank you! I appreciate it. 

I wish Doomworld File Reviews also had some kind of support for FDAs.

@Myst.Haruko

With Nameless Map you can see Mysterious Haruko get closer to hitting his stride. It's cramped, tough map with some entertaining fights however the texturing was inconsistent and each room had different wall textures leaving the map feeling disjointed.

The fights were the highlight so it would have been good to add in some monster closets for when you have to backtrack through the entire map after you grab the yellow key. Either that or make the map a loop so you can avoid backtracking all together.

I'd recommend giving this map a go - especially if you like tight, tough battles.

Download/Thread: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/93681-new-map-from-me-and-i-search-criticism-again/

I got this request a while ago via email from Karja.

@Chezza I think you might like this wad, it'd work well with Brutal Doom too :)

Map01 of a 6 map GZDoom mapset by Karja. This is a short techbase map with a couple of nice looking areas (namely the server room).

That being said the two elements that brought the map down were overuse of STAR* textures and weak encounters. Granted it's only map01 so it's all low tier monsters but there weren't any really fun fights. That's not to say they were bad (i.e chaingun snipers, no archvile cover etc) but they weren't memorable. I'm curious to see how this will change in the following maps.

Map02 definitely ramps up from 01 but still shares some of the same issues with big plain walls of STAR*. However, it does have much better gameplay utilizing more of the bestiary and employing traps.

The map features adept detailing pretty much all the way through. This combined with it's increased monster and secret count make this an entertaining map to play through.

Map03 of I.H.N.I is by far the best one so far. It has the most interesting rooms, non-linear design and enemy encounters. The map reminds a lot of Blast Pit from Half-Life where you have the central hub and then have to go off in 3 different directions then return to finish the map.

Each of the three areas has an interesting set piece along with the well thought out detailing seen in the previous two maps.

This map is a huge improvement over the first two and you should definitely check it out.

With this fourth map of I.H.N.I you are teleported to Mars and it's convincingly pulled off. Seeing the martian surface is very reminiscent of Doom 3.

There were a few notable set pieces in the map along with some effects (opening shutters lighting up the room). The section where you flip switches the flood the room so you can get across was an interesting concept and it was executed fairly well.

The map did feel underutilized gameplaywise though. There were no real challenging battles which could be fixed by substituting monsters for more difficult ones (swapping some imps for revenants, adding an archvile etc). The map is still fun to play but I can't help but feel that with some more engaging/dynamic battles it'd get knocked up another notch.

Another good map in the I.H.N.I mapset. This map had particularly cool ZDoom effects and it's flow/progression is way ahead of the previous maps.

The difficulty has ramped up again to the point where there's a cyberdemon in the map. You can skip the cyberdemon however along with a fair few of the stronger enemies.

The realism and detailing in this map is superb. This has been consistent throughout the mapset but this and map04 are even better than the rest. The areas with hellish influences show that Karja knows how to make more than pretty techbases.

The finale with the revenants was a really amusing scripted event and it's those that keeps me playing GZDoom maps.

I highly recommend grabbing this mapset and playing through yourself.

This map feels totally different to any of the others in the wad as you spend most of the time outside rather than in a techbase.

It's also probably the strongest map in mapset. The fights are a lot more challenging, the set-pieces more epic and the scripted events are cooler. My favorite bit of gameplay was near the red bars where enemies teleport in one by one if you're fast enough you can kill them what-a-mole style. The dam looked great and the cave was surprisingly interesting.

The final battle did the trick. It's hard to make spider mastermind battles fun, since you just have to cheese them around corners, but the arachnatron fight helped out a bit.

Overall, I really enjoyed this mod. The architecture was interesting and the details was great all the way through. Great work Karja, I'd definitely play any other maps you've released.

@xvertigox Yeah I think it will work with BD no issues. It's not made for it though so no design was used for the mod's mechanics.

Nonetheless it definitely looks like a mapset I would like and I admire the style and details.

Just wanted to say that I'm loving what you're doing, @xvertigox. You're putting a lot of time and work into this that's for sure. I subscribed to your YouTube. Keep up the great work!

5 hours ago, nervewar said:

Just wanted to say that I'm loving what you're doing, @xvertigox. You're putting a lot of time and work into this that's for sure. I subscribed to your YouTube. Keep up the great work!

Thanks man, that really means a lot :)

@HAK3180 I'll do your map tonight and possibly yours too @Nebula-Kristian Next one after that will probably be yours @StormCatcher.77 then @Empyre's. If I've missed anyone please let me know.

51 minutes ago, xvertigox said:

If I've missed anyone please let me know.

mine lol. you got a lot of maps on your plate though, so whenever you get the chance is fine, I'm in no rush :) 

@HAK3180

Set outdoors in Hell The High Road pulls off the aesthetic well. The detailing in the natural/rocky areas is sufficient and doesn't block your movement. The fortress is a bit less detailed/more blocky but not overly so. One thing I noticed was the use of FIREBLU outside being tied to an indoor area with red brick walls and a blue floor which a nice touch.

Gameplaywise this map is on the easier side so it feels like a relaxing blast through Hell rather than being beaten down. The fights may not be overly hard but they are still enjoyable due to how dynamic they are. Monster composition is on point throughout the whole map. There are areas where it could be made more difficult with some minor tweaks (2 archviles instead 1, chaingunner instead of sargent, bigger hordes of imps+zombiemen etc).

The secrets on this map feel very organic which makes them really fun to find. You don't need to hump every wall to find some obscure secret, you can find them by paying attention and using your brain.

This was a fun map and I look forward to playing more so keep your eyes peeled for more videos!

Thread/download: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/97114-wip-limit-removing-megawad-crossbearer-new-maps-2-05-18/

Hak3180's channel with FDAs + Reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHJUb02rWk0Mx1n3nYj5a7Q

@Nebula-Kristian

As per the name this map is set amongst Mayan ruins. It uses all custom textures which leave it feeling almost like a mod despite 99% of the bestiary being stock and having no custom weapons.

Visually, the map looks great. The custom textures fit great and aren't overused or shoehorned in. Because a lot of the textures look quite busy the map feels detailed even in areas where there isn't an abundance of sectors. That being said the map does have good detailing throughout, especially with it's use of slopes. The use of slopes is restrained and used for minor details which I think is part of what makes it feel like a mod when it's not. You don't see an overuse of slopes and think "oh, it's a zdoom map". It's much more subtle and leave the map feeling different but not in an overt way.

The map flow and progression works great. It's non-linear but is well thought out and balanced. This is made obvious when you come to a fork in the path early on and realize that there's a SSG on either side of the fork meaning there's no "wrong" path. A big relief for me was that when you flip a switch you can logically work out what it probably did. You don't have to backtrack to some arbitrary point in the map which would have killed the map's fun.

For me personally this map's difficulty is right on the money. It's definitely tough in parts but not in any cheap way. There's a good balance between archviles and the rest of the lower tier monsters. The fight compositions are well thought out meaning you have to think on your feet and prioritize correctly or you might eat a manc fireball or take a revenant rocket to the back of the head. The map is tight on health giving it a tense vibe.

I actually really, really liked this map. This one is a must play IMO. Awesome work Kristian.

Download: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/bor_lost

8 hours ago, xvertigox said:

@HAK3180

[FDA and commentary: Crossbearer Map 22 "The High Road"]

Hey, thanks for playing! A few thoughts:

I'm realizing more and more that making a mapset work well for both continuous and pistol start just doesn't work that well or is very hard to execute. On pistol start you either have to chainsaw a hell knight for the plasma gun or waste half your plasma on him. On continuous, you've had a plasma gun for four maps, so why even go over there? And in general, secrets with weapons are just so much less meaningful. I'm playing a megawad now where I almost always have 600 cells, so secrets with BFG and 100 cells are pretty much worthless, but they'd be quite welcome if I were pistol starting. Continuous seems much more organic/immersion-friendly, obviously, but pistol starts tend to be the intended experience of the map. The tension...

On vertical aim, I don't care about you being able to shoot cacodemons out of the sky or look down on a raising platform. The comment is more of a somewhat subtle way of saying there are some shootable switch situations where you can break the sequence with vertical aim. Eventually I'll put something like that in the text file. Or get rid of those situations.

At about 9:45 you mention that both the star platforms should be secret. Actually, they are joined sectors, so whichever one you access first will reveal the secret. 

If you run out of stuff, go ahead and do some more of mine, but I'm still doing some tweaking. 15 is probably the closest to ready. 

Finally, a tip for anyone reading this: Sometimes these videos can get pretty long. If you watch them on 1.5 speed, you can usually still understand most of what is said. And even on double speed you can still get a good idea what the map is about.

Edited by HAK3180