Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xvertigox

Looking to play and record your maps

11 minutes ago, Voltcom9 said:

Thanks for trying it out! Yeah, it's a non serious effort of slaughter mapping. I absolutely love mapping using 3d environments so this was

really just a fun experiment to create a non linear 3d arena fight. On your playthrough you killed the archviles just on time, if you let them live much longer that last fight can turn into a real bloodbath.

The 3D effects and Wolf3D theme work really well tbh. Feel free to let me know if you've got other maps you'd like played :) I could definitely see the archviles being a bitch...

@DooM_RO

This is the second map out of three in the RetributioN triliogy and boy is it a doozy. It's a doozy both in scale and difficulty.

The architecture is what jumps out at you the most. Right from the start you can see that a lot of care went into making the level look great start to finish. From it's blood red cathedral to the hellscape swarming with revenants it really looks fantastic. It's not just the architecture but the detailing as well. This is most noticeable in the green marble areas - of which there are plenty. Another stand out in this regard is the Doom 4 glyphs made out of sectors that actually look like what they should.

With how menacing the map itself looks you'd expect brutal difficulty and you'd be right. The 1000+ monsters keep you on your back foot for the vast majority of the level. You're not running around gleefully blowing away whatever crosses your path but rather trying to scratch out a safe little corner for yourself. This is done through intelligent monster placement such as arachnatrons with line of sight to the spot where you'd naturally go for cover. The enemies don't feel cheap, just tough. There's also periods of the map where there are (very) few enemies which is a nice change of pace.

The health/armor/balancing is aligned with the rest of the map - tough. For a lot of the time you're just scraping by then eventually you hit the jackpot and get smorgasbord of rockets, cells and health. That is, after you clear the revenants, mancubi, archviles and chaingunners. The map features 11 secrets which supplement your resources considerably  (the 3 that I managed to find made a huge difference).

With a map this size and long you'd be right to be concerned about flow and progression however those concerns are not justified. Not once was lost in my playthrough as each piece led to another logically and smoothly. The map is still open and non-linear but you instinctively know where to go.

I highly, highly recommend playing this map. It looks beautiful and the satisfaction you get from clearing each area is significant. I'm very much looking forward to the finale of this wad.

Download: https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/18762-retribution-trilogy/

@The Mysterious Moustachio

The first level in this in progress vanilla megawad is a tight and interesting tech base - both in architecture and gameplay.

With a total of 57 enemies on the map you're not slaughtering hordes at once but rather the combat seems to be meticulously planned. Each enemy placed serves a purpose leaving the combat feel cohesive throughout.

The classic aesthetic goes hand in hand with the maps DOOM2.EXE compatibility and the custom textures really make it pop. I enjoy that quintessential 90s look and the detailing takes it one step further. Visually my favorite part of the map was the nukage grates (SLADRIPx) jutting out of the wall slightly. It sounds minor but small touches like that make a difference.

I'll be playing through the rest of the maps so keep your eyes peeled for those and download the current release in the mean time.

The second map of the megawad takes what was enjoyable about the first and does it bigger and better.

Again, the fights are well orchestrated and the simplistic (for lack of a better term) architecture is well accented by the custom textures. The fights are considerably more brutal but still easily manageable. You definitely could get caught out by some of the meaner traps though.

The texture work sold me on this map. The main room with several red textures tying it together was a highlight as was the exit room. I'd recommend playing this wad in Chocolate / Crispy Doom for the visuals.

The secrets require you to be observant and think logically rather than hump every wall in sight which is always a good thing.

Thread: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/95318-atonement-vanilla-megawad-officially-doom2exe-compatible/

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/3u8p6co99g0eg7b/atnmntE1+2rc.zip

8 hours ago, xvertigox said:

[Atonement videos] 

This looks great! Gonna have to stop watching these and play this.

Alright, I'd like to have you play through Maps 13 and 15 in Crossbearer whenever you get around to it.

Doomworld thread

Download latest .wad

Both probably 15-25 minutes with commentary.

Edited by HAK3180 : Quick minor update (If you grabbed the file already, don't worry about it)

The third map of Atonement is more of the same works out as it the first two were very fun.

Cross Canyon Chaos eases up on the difficulty but still offers some challenging encounters. There are far less traps so you can clear out rooms tactically instead of just trying to stay alive.

Structure-wise it's similar to the first two maps and retains the classic feel. The outdoor areas are a nice touch and show off the orange sky more. It also features a non-linear layout with useful loops to avoid backtracking.

Balance is consistent throughout with plenty of health and sufficient ammo. The easy to find secrets also help with keeping you on your feet.

Another good map in the set, be sure to check it out.

H20 Extraction Zone is far and away the best map in Atonement so far. Most of the map is the along the lines of the previous three but then you get outside and it's absolutely awesome.

The red key area features a giant fight where you don't even feel like it's monsters vs you, it's a big free for all. This fight is preceded by you slaughter large groups of zombiemen, sargents and imps which really lay the ground work for it. The build up is fantastic and the midi matches the tone of it all.

This set piece combined with all the positive qualities of the previous maps make it the best one so far.

Big Ol' Crater is much larger in scale than previous maps with a significant portion taking place outdoors in the titular crater.

The combat is fairly spread out since the map is wide open however there are times when groups of enemies teleport in together. The structures are fairly cramped which is a nice contrast to the outdoor segment.

The orange theme and texturing are getting a bit repetitive so I'm hoping that the next episode will change the color scheme. The map itself doesn't look bad at all but the last few levels look very similar (bar map02 and it's red sections).

I'm digging this wad and 100% recommend checking it out for yourself.

Mars Escape is the final map in E1 of Atonement and it feels like a finale - sorta. It definitely has some challenging fights however it is quite short and the end Cyberdemon can be skipped easily.

Those "complaints" are overshadowed by the quality of the map itself. It's short length works when coupled with the tough fights by keeping you engaged the whole time.

The level architecture gets the job done; thereare no real set pieces until you get to the very end but the map still looks solid.

Another good map in a great wad, check it out.

Thread: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/95318-atonement-vanilla-megawad-officially-doom2exe-compatible/

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/3u8p6co99g0eg7b/atnmntE1+2rc.zip

Edited by xvertigox : Added videos

Hey man! If you want, take a look at my Doom 3-inspired map using the new and awesome 256 color version of Doom 3 Textures for Doom 2.

@DooM_RO

Iconoclasm is the boss map finishing off the RetributioN trilogy. Where as the previous maps took 40min+ iconoclasm can be finished in ~2min when playing it for the first time. The map seems hard but it's not. RNG and movement mistakes are what get you killed in this map.

Playing it separately to the previous two it feels underwhelming but when looked at in the context of the whole wad I feel the length is appropriate.

The first two maps are so long and gigantic that having a succinct boss fight is a good idea. I highly, highly recommend checking this wad out for yourself!

Episode 2 of Atonement starts with a tidy, little map featuring the quintessential outdoor Atonement areas and traps.

I quite like the look of this map, especially the outdoor area. As this is a DOOM2.EXE/vanilla megawad I keep that as my frame of reference. As per the previous maps the outdoor areas are the best looking.

The map is short and has a few small traps then culminates in a large ambush after grabbing the yellow key. There is an issue where this whole trap can be avoided simply by running away as the monsters that block your exit don't do a good job of it. This could be fixed by adding pinkies or perhaps 30 second bars. It's a huge issue but I would have loved to have taken on that encounter.

Another solid map in what's shaping up to be a pretty damn fun megawad. Be sure to check it out.

This is another short map in the Atonement megawad. It looks good with the lava / underground aesthetic and plays fairly well too. With only 25 monsters his map could be served better with stronger enemies.

Hunting for the secrets was enjoyable however I only did this at the end of the map. I'm not sure if you'd organically look for them since you're always focusing on the next monster to kill but your play style might differ to mine.

The difficulty spikes with this map and it's great. The encounters are well laid out and the strategic use of archviles goes a long way. I did inadvertently miss the obvious rocket launcher in my playthrough. However I don't think that would have had a huge impact in map difficulty/strategy but rather how long it takes to kill certain enemies.

The map features a nice horseshoe area and you never feel lost at all. There's a good mix of indoor / outdoor areas which lends itself to a nice variation in light levels.

This is now one of my favorite maps in the wad so far.

Filtration Station feels very similar to the other maps in episode 2 of Atonement. It's functional and does the job well but it's now starting to feel a bit repetitive. That's not to say that the map is not fun or looks bad but I will be glad to get a change of scenery going into the next two maps.  I had a similar experience with episode 1 and was happy to get into episode 2.

The combat in this level is it's strongest point. It's decently tough and dynamic from the first revenant ambush all the way through to the climax at the red key.

Sewage plant did everything I wanted it to do and more. The gameplay was fast and diverse featuring open areas and cramped quarters. There were several spider masterminds that really make it feel like a boss / episode finale map. There's an unmistakable Doom 1 / E1 feel to the whole map.

Happily, it looks as good as it plays. The indoor areas have great texture work and the nukage outside looks appealing in it's own right.

Health and ammo balance match the amount of enemies so you always have enough of both to work with but if you make one too many mistakes you'll be put in a bad spot.

A great finish to a great episode, be sure to check out this wad for yourself

Strike on Hectic Castle continues Atonement's tradition of providing tight gameplay along with interesting level design.

It's harder than the previous maps which is what you'd expect from an episode 4 map. It's may be hard but never feels unfair. Well thought out enemy placement, particularly archviles, is a common thread throughout this mapset.

The level features a good mix of indoor and outdoor areas (another feature of other maps in the set) and looks good overall. I say it looks good in GZDoom but Chocolate Doom / DOOM2.EXE is where it would really shine.

Be sure to grab this wad and experience it yourself.

Edited by xvertigox

@YukiRaven

One Doomed Marine is YukiRaven's earliest Doom release and gives the player the task of clearing out the Arizona spaceport while the original marine takes care of Phobos.

The combat is fun but not overly complex. Most of the time you're funneling hordes of enemies through doorways and mowing them down with your shotgun. This works because the bestiary is limited to pinkies/specters, sargents, imps and a couple of chaingunners. For what the encounters lack in variety they make up for in sheer numbers, most rooms are jam packed full of enemies.

The map itself is a fairly standard techbase with some nice detailing peppered throughout and good use of colored lighting. It's not just the lighting and particle effects that give this map it's flavor but Yuki's consistent style when it comes to detailing.

This map is worth playing through and you get to mess around with Doomsday as an added bonus.

Download: http://alexa.partition36.com/doom/

@Scorpinax

This map is a series of giant rooms connected by giant corridors filled with seemingly dozens of Realm667 enemies. There is no cohesion to any of it as textures are used seemingly at random. The level geometry seemed to be just as random. There's random platforms with nothing on them or rooms with no purpose.

There is some charm to the map, though. This comes from the fact that it's not broken and it's not overly confusing. So while it's not what I would call a great or even a good map there is some fun to be had if you go in with the right mindset and the right mood.

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hRVwwrGnq9dRsOjLUoWrAfqe2YhDg0ww/view

1 minute ago, YukiRaven said:

@xvertigox lol I always forget about ODM.  Thanks for the kind review!  I do have one earlier release, but it's nowhere on the 'net that I know of.

I figured it was a bit of an outlier what with how old it was and the fact that it's Doomsday based. If you ever get around to releasing the previous map let me know and I'll be glad to play it.

On 3/29/2018 at 6:27 PM, xvertigox said:

@Scorpinax

(text)

Hey man, i really appreciate you taking the time to play through the map!

Edited by Scorpinax

Hey, could you play pigeon04 session? it's only 5 main maps and secret map on 32 slot. Nobody reviewed this session and I don't know if it's fun to play and ect. It's important for me to see where I need improve or change some things for the future sessions. Maps are boom compatible, so it shouldn't cause problems with port of your choice. Mapinfo is included if you go with gzdoom. 
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/p-r/pigeon04

Operation Body Count update: Fixed a map error on level 9 that made the dumbwaiter impossible to board from the upper level of the plane. Players should be able to get into the lift from either floor now. May need to update the wad if you continue doing videos. Since every mission is pistol start (or uzi start rather) it won't hurt your progress.

If you've got time for a short, yet challenging map, it would be really cool to see what you think of this level I just wrapped up this weekend! No worries if not though :) Keep up the great work!

@Zemini

The first episode in this wad is overwhelmingly average. There are a few good ideas throughout however they are largely overshadowed by weak encounter design, underdetailed maps confusing design choices. A good example of this is the fact that the rocket launcher is weapon slot 6, plasma gun 7 and BFG 8.

The maps are /ok/ for the most part however are quite short and only one was interesting (biodome). The first map is a straight E1M1 ripoff. The last map was actually terrible IMO and I had to cheat to get through it.

The new content is a mixed bag. Sometimes it works well, such as the themed imps for each enclosure of the biodome. Other times, not so much. The heavy machine gun sound effect in particular is pretty bad. Zemini has noted they are placeholders so they may well be subject to change.

All in all, E1 really is average. The lackluster gameplay is what really set it back so I'll be playing E2 on hard and possibly pistol starts.

Thread/download: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/99291-the-moon-phobos-and-deimos/

@nervewar

The biggest takeaway from Breakdown by Nervewar is how good it looks. It doesn't use thousands of sectors or lots of ZDoom effects. What it does do is stay true to it's theme and execute it well. You know you've done something right when the player can accurately infer the story accurately without reading the readme.

The map is touted as a short and difficult map however not for the usual reasons. When I saw the monster count after reading that it's a challenging map I was expecting archviles and revenants around every corner. This was not the case. Rather, the difficulty came from the lack of health and ammo. You feel like you're trying to scrape by rather than sprinting into rooms spamming SSG blasts at anything that moves. The fact that it uses low tier monsters exclusively sets the map up nicely to (hopefully) be the first map in a mini-episode.

This is a fun map that looks really good. Be sure to grab it via the link below and have some good old fashioned Doom fun.

Download: http://nervewar.net/doom

@xvertigox Whoa you're fast! Thanks so much for taking the time to play record it, and really cool that you liked it too. Quite surreal watching someone I don't even know play through it, which is awesome, haha. Really appreciate it, I'll let you know when map02 is done...but it might be a month or two before it's complete. Cheers!

13 hours ago, xvertigox said:

The first episode in this wad is overwhelmingly average. There are a few good ideas throughout however they are largely overshadowed by weak encounter design, underdetailed maps confusing design choices. A good example of this is the fact that the rocket launcher is weapon slot 6, plasma gun 7 and BFG 8.

The maps are /ok/ for the most part however are quite short and only one was interesting (biodome). The first map is a straight E1M1 ripoff. The last map was actually terrible IMO and I had to cheat to get through it.

The new content is a mixed bag. Sometimes it works well, such as the themed imps for each enclosure of the biodome. Other times, not so much. The heavy machine gun sound effect in particular is pretty bad. Zemini has noted they are placeholders so they may well be subject to change.

All in all, E1 really is average. The lackluster gameplay is what really set it back so I'll be playing E2 on hard and possibly pistol starts.

Thread/download: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/99291-the-moon-phobos-and-deimos/

Thanks for playing at least.

I know I suck at monster placement.  It has been something I struggled with since I began mapping. As for new monsters I have just grown bored of the usual D2 monsters and always felt that new and harder variants mix the game up a little more.  The weapons will be changed at a later date, and I might just use the Doom 2016 weapons mod instead of the crappy Realm667 ones.  Or just go back to vanilla weapons with some minor tweeks.

The first map was just a exercise of making E1M1 from memory too see how close I could get.  More of just a tribute of sorts then a actual rip off.

The final mission (e1m6) is more puzzle driven (much like the later hell levels) and requires more than shooting monsters.  If you feel as though it might be too hard, I might change the level conditions for Easy/Medium.  I also note that a lot of people want to play these on Pistol starts, so I might create a specific difficulty slot just for that purpose.

I haven't watched the FULL  video yet, but I did notice some strange behavior with the levels and triggers.  I will note them later on here.

1 hour ago, Zemini said:

Thanks for playing at least.

I know I suck at monster placement.  It has been something I struggled with since I began mapping. As for new monsters I have just grown bored of the usual D2 monsters and always felt that new and harder variants mix the game up a little more.  The weapons will be changed at a later date, and I might just use the Doom 2016 weapons mod instead of the crappy Realm667 ones.  Or just go back to vanilla weapons with some minor tweeks.

The first map was just a exercise of making E1M1 from memory too see how close I could get.  More of just a tribute of sorts then a actual rip off.

The final mission (e1m6) is more puzzle driven (much like the later hell levels) and requires more than shooting monsters.  If you feel as though it might be too hard, I might change the level conditions for Easy/Medium.  I also note that a lot of people want to play these on Pistol starts, so I might create a specific difficulty slot just for that purpose.

I haven't watched the FULL  video yet, but I did notice some strange behavior with the levels and triggers.  I will note them later on here.

I think the monster placement is down to me playing on medium tbh. I'll try the next episode on hard (without pistol starts) and test that for you. For E1M6 I think it'd be a lot better if you didn't take 20 damage each time you went through a teleport. Puzzles are all good but having to restart the level because you soft-lock due to low HP on a puzzle map can be annoying. E1 wasn't bad but I feel there's a lot of room for improvement. Varying up the combat would work wonders and I'll let you know after I try E2 on hard.

Whoa you're fast! Thanks so much for taking the time to play record it, and really cool that you liked it too. Quite surreal watching someone I don't even know play through it, which is awesome, haha. Really appreciate it, I'll let you know when map02 is done...but it might be a month or two before it's complete. Cheers!

Thanks for the support man, hugely appreciated.

6 hours ago, xvertigox said:

I think the monster placement is down to me playing on medium tbh. I'll try the next episode on hard (without pistol starts) and test that for you. For E1M6 I think it'd be a lot better if you didn't take 20 damage each time you went through a teleport. Puzzles are all good but having to restart the level because you soft-lock due to low HP on a puzzle map can be annoying. E1 wasn't bad but I feel there's a lot of room for improvement. Varying up the combat would work wonders and I'll let you know after I try E2 on hard.

I will make note to nerfing the floor damage to about 5 or 6 per trip.  There are some hell portals in EP2 and 3's finale, but not as many as E1. 

Hard is going to be ... hard.  I have only tested it a few times and managed to beat it only because I knew where the secrets and heart containers are.

Did you find medium too easy or hard otherwise?

Easy should equal about Hurt me Plenty

Medium about UV, and half more monsters than easy

Hard is close to double the monsters of Easy, with added "boss" monsters littered in places you woudnl't expect.

EDIT:  Watched the video.  The new keys don't get displayed on your hub unless you go to maximum screen mode.  This will also show you other ammo types as well.  A custom HUD is planned in the future.

ALso on the last level, you needed to kill the baron of hell to open up the last gate.

Edited by Zemini : forgot

@Zemini - This video will answer the questions you asked re: difficulty. Hard is the way to go 100%

Episode 2 of this up and coming megawad is far superior to episode 1. Playing on the Hard difficulty makes a world of difference as does the increased visual appeal of the maps.

Gameplay is bounds better with the difficulty ramped up. The maps are challenging at times but never overly. There is, however, a noticeable lack of health. This error is critical on the final map of the episode where you need to take teleports that do 20 damage each time you take them.

The final map looks the best by far. In fact, most maps in episode 2 look better than the ones in episode 1. This is probably due to the first being set on the Moon and featuring a lot of grey throughout.

I had a good deal of fun playing through this episode. There are some tweaks to be made here and there but for the most part it's pretty damn solid. The custom weapons and enemies actually work pretty well. Normally I find stuff pulled from Realm667 to stick out like a sore thumb but the enemies used here fit well with the regular Doom bestiary.

I recommend grabbing this wad for yourself and look forward to playing Episode 3.

Hey! I would be interested in seeing you play my e1m8 from the recent Deadly Standards E1 replacement for Ultimate Doom! Should be quite challenging on UV.

Cheers!

@Zemini

Episode 3 is currently the final one in this megawad and the difficulty ramp up really reflects that. These six levels throw a lot more high tier monsters at you and right from the get go too. This does lead to some balancing issues on E3M1 where there is not enough ammo if you select a start weapon other than the shotgun.

The next three maps play very similarly to E3M1 and it does get a bit stale. The same outdoor setup is used in each map and they all kind of merge into one. The fact that there's a lack of detailing also leads to maps feeling samey.

The wad picks up in a huge way with maps five and six thanks to the variety. Map six especially is interesting as it has explosive pods similar to Heretic except with extremely fast respawns. This was the highlight of the map for me and I'd love to see it explored more. Map six also has you tackling beefed up versions of vanilla E1M6, E2M6 and E3M6. This actually works really well and it's a good deal of fun.

I'd say grab this wad and give it a shot. Each full episode takes 60 - 90 minutes so you can easily do one in a sitting. It's not great all the way through but it definitely has more ups than downs. Big thanks to Zemini for making this and I look forward to playing the remaining episodes.

Thread/download:

Spoiler

I don't want to post stuff in this thread that's not directly related to people's wads so I'll append it to this post via a spoiler. I got my tech shit sorted so my reviews should be much higher quality. Thanks heaps to all wad creators and people who watch what I make. I wrote a bigger post in the YT description if anyone wants to see.

Thanks for playing, I really appreciate the critical feedback and video play through.

Also, your GZdoom is doing something different than my GZDoom is; but I found that the lighting can be off a lot on your videos (mainly E1).  Is there a standard for this?  Because in your videos all the maps seem brighter then they should be.

Looks like I have a lot of work cut out for me in the detailing department.  It is one of things that can be subjective because personally too much detail doesn't work when you have 2d sprites running around.   EP1 does need the most work - since it is the newest map set and hasn't had nearly as much polish as EP2 and EP3.  Since gray is boring, I might just "terraform" more of the terrain to add variety. 

Also, I haven't watched the latest video, but a lot of the objects (trees, decorations) were incorrectly blocking things when they shouldn't.  Eventually, I plan to have all trees be destructible like in Hexen; but I am unsure on how that might impact game play.   I found this very annoying and it will get changed.

Oh and you beat my maps faster than I could ... I am ashamed.

2 hours ago, Zemini said:

Thanks for playing, I really appreciate the critical feedback and video play through.

Also, your GZdoom is doing something different than my GZDoom is; but I found that the lighting can be off a lot on your videos (mainly E1).  Is there a standard for this?  Because in your videos all the maps seem brighter then they should be.

Looks like I have a lot of work cut out for me in the detailing department.  It is one of things that can be subjective because personally too much detail doesn't work when you have 2d sprites running around.   EP1 does need the most work - since it is the newest map set and hasn't had nearly as much polish as EP2 and EP3.  Since gray is boring, I might just "terraform" more of the terrain to add variety. 

Also, I haven't watched the latest video, but a lot of the objects (trees, decorations) were incorrectly blocking things when they shouldn't.  Eventually, I plan to have all trees be destructible like in Hexen; but I am unsure on how that might impact game play.   I found this very annoying and it will get changed.

Oh and you beat my maps faster than I could ... I am ashamed.

All good man~ I'm not sure what's causing the GZDoom issues. Can you take some screenshots from your end? My sector light mode is Software, Gamma is 1.05 and Brightness 1.00. This is on a recent GZDoom 3.0.0 SVN. It's weird stuff is blocking me when it's not blocking you. Do you have any specific examples? Can you upload your GZDoom config ini and I'll try that and see if I still get blocked etc?