Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xvertigox

Looking to play and record your maps

Okay found the problem.

For blocking decorations; when I separated the "episodes" I didn't include every decorate fix.  Some of these THINGS were classified as Obstacles when they should of been decorations.  Basically I think I want most decorations to not block with the exception of pillars and the larger trees.  DO you think it would be better to have them as destructibles?  HOwever the Skull on the Pole is a default vanilla so I guess those block regardless.  I dont think I like that either.

Lighting issue is also on my side but I think you corrected in the 3rd video.  I been using gzdoom 2.7 and I just updated to 3.0 and seemed to lost my original settings so I dont know if that was part of the problem. 

From Video #3.

-Armor is the same, they all give Blue Armor reduction but I will mention that in the messages.

-There was a lot of HP that you missed either through secrets or forgetting to back track from locked doors before.  But I do agree that there needs to be more health; especially in E2M6 and various other places you mentioned.  A lot of my levels reward you for finding the EXIT and going backwards.  Such as that brown key you missed in E3M5.

-Speaking of secrets, there was a issue where I left on the "secret" flag for mobs and stuff so I missed a few.  Yellow armor shouldn't never be a secret.  IN fact secrets are the very last thing I add to levels and are incomplete.  I am thinking of leaving secrets ONLY for Health Containers so you know how many are left in the level.  There are about 1-3 health containers in each.

-I know you hate the "Hell Portals".  You almost make me hate them too.  They were designed to punish the player for making wrong turns or mistakes.  With that said they are too punishing for people who don't know the maps.  I plan on nerfing that damage to 6 AND making it so they CAN'T kill you even if you are at 1 hp.

-Pain elementals were changed because I wanted them to infight back.

-I am going to change weapon load outs so you start with each of the basic weapons.

-I will probably be reskinning the weapons and sounds to the Doom 2016 versions.

Thanks again for playing.

EDIT:  Is the episode length too short or long?

Edited by Zemini : question

-Armor is the same, they all give Blue Armor reduction but I will mention that in the messages.

Perfect.

-There was a lot of HP that you missed either through secrets or forgetting to back track from locked doors before.  But I do agree that there needs to be more health; especially in E2M6 and various other places you mentioned.  A lot of my levels reward you for finding the EXIT and going backwards.  Such as that brown key you missed in E3M5.

I did notice that there were keydoors that were not necessary for progression and I really like that. To be honest I didn't really feel the urge to backtrack to find extra secrets since you get the weapons quite early. Truth be told it's also because I was recording each episode in one sitting so I didn't want to drag out the video too long as well.

-I know you hate the "Hell Portals".  You almost make me hate them too.  They were designed to punish the player for making wrong turns or mistakes.  With that said they are too punishing for people who don't know the maps.  I plan on nerfing that damage to 6 AND making it so they CAN'T kill you even if you are at 1 hp.

That's a very welcome change. Not having them be able to kill you is a very good idea. There are times though where you have to use the portals to progress and still get hurt. Maybe this could be mitigated by placing health around the exits so the first time they are used the player gets their health back but then if they fuck up and go through again the health will be gone?

-I am going to change weapon load outs so you start with each of the basic weapons.

-I will probably be reskinning the weapons and sounds to the Doom 2016 versions.

Starting with all weapons is a good idea. Reskinning them would be cool too but honestly I'll miss the super rifle aka puffgun. That shits bombin.

Thanks again for playing.

Glad to :) Thanks for making all this sweet content. Let me know when the other episodes are released or if you need any play testing for Hard mode.

@Glaice

Cold Steel plays a lot like other maps by Glaice and that really is a good thing. In this case, Mr Freeze and Hellbent also contributed to the map.

Being an E2M4 replacement there is a strong E2M4  theme to the map (duh). This is achieved through texture use,  architecture and monster use. You have the classic blue floors and marble walls hiding Barons behind them.

The gameplay is quite forgiving which again fits with the E2M4 theme and makes the map more enjoyable. It's a playful romp through a techbase as opposed to a hellish slog. This is again consistent with other Glaice maps that I've played and it's a refreshing change when coming from very hard wads.

To accompany the map Random Deaths & Decorations was used. This mod adds a host of changes such as randomized death animations and smoother animations in general. This was made by Glaice and yep, it has a classic feel to it. There are no new gore effects which make the game feel different to vanilla but you are free to add your own if you prefer.

All in all, this is a great combination and I highly recommend checking it out. Glaice has plenty of other maps for you to blast your way through too.

Download: https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/16344-cold-steel/

Random Deaths & Decorations: http://www.moddb.com/games/doom/addons/random-deaths-and-decoration-15-final

Wiki page with more maps: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/User:Mrchris

@Mikami41

The first map for Lust for Killing starts of pre-accident (sort of) with you sitting at a computer surrounded by friendly marines. There's ZDoom effects all around with the colored lighting and slopes and that's what gives this map it's charm.

You start with no weapon then pick up a (new) pistol and shit hits the fan. From then on it's a fairly standard Doom map that's on the harder side. It's not overly difficult but if you don't manage your ammo properly it's easy to get into a "punch everything to death" situation. The map could use a bit more health and ammo but the monster placement allows you to dodge all the attacks.

The map does lack visual cohesion with it's varied use of textures but the detail and flow help bring it up. The detailing in particular is endearing with PCs having power buttons, extremely detailed sector toilets in the bathroom and pressable indented buttons on consoles.

This map has piqued my interest and I want to see how the wad continues.

Thread/download: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/97862-lust-for-kill-project-canceled/

Map02 continues the mishmash style seen in map01 but really cranks the difficulty up. A lot of the map takes place in cramped areas where you have hitscanners up on high ground and projectile based enemies on the same level as you. This makes it easy to lose a whole lot of health if you're not being careful. Luckily, this is balanced out by giving the player pretty much just the right amount of health and ammo. Some fights could be structured a bit better (medikit on player 1 spawn would be great) but none were really unfair.

Visually the map looks like it was stitched together from a few different maps. Textures and the architectural style vary dramatically from room to room. Whether this is bad is up to the player. The maps would definitely look smoother with more consistent texturing but I really don't mind - the diversity gives the maps character.

Another decent map, I had quite a bit of fun with this one. There's some 'oh shit' moments, a telefrag and a whole lot of Doom fun. Grab the wad below.

Edited by xvertigox : Added map02

Heya! I've got a map for you. It's going to the first map in my mapset titled "Jaunt", which I intend to be either 4 or 5 maps long depending on how burnt out I am at the end of development. I started this about 2 years ago and have been hacking away on it ever since. It was also the first map I ever attempted to make in a little over a decade. It's nothing special, just your standard techbase with some 1994 flair here and there. It takes about 6 minutes to complete on UV in my experience and it's Boom compatible. Tested on PRBoom+, Eternity, and GZ, so it should be good to go. Tell me what you think!

jaunt-map01.7z

On 2/20/2018 at 10:12 PM, xvertigox said:

Mine still looks like this. I'm running GZDoom SVN (from within last week), OpenGL, Dynamic Lights enabled etc. Not sure why it's not showing up?

Apologizes that your map didn't look as intended in the video, I will make a note in the description. If you can link me to an imgur gallery of screenshots of what it should look like I will link that also.

Reveal hidden contents

SyHawZI.png

BfiFyIf.png

Edit: Looks like your pics in Zand but not in GZDoom. Which are you running? I'll keep troubleshooting my end because GZ should have dynamic lights...

Edit 2: I wasn't loading lights.pk3. I'm used to Zand where you dont need to load it manually so my bad. Again, if you link me to an imgur gallery I'll put it at top of the description. Sorry again for my noobiness.

Hi! I'm super late replying to this because I never came back to the forums until now.

Sure, in a future post soon enough I'll provide some highlights screenshots.

As of what I was running, it was the latest GZDoom back then with Hardware Acceleration: OpenGL Accelerated, I'm not too sure if that's what achieves those lights.

Hi!

Here I'm leaving some screenshots showing the beginning of my map and how lights should look.

Again, I'm not too sure about the GZDoom settings for them, but surely it has something to do with the OpenGL renderer.

https://imgur.com/a/Btixn

Also, now I'm starting a new map based on another IM song, right now I'm looking for the right midi and then I'll draw the map on paper first.

Hope you like it when it's done! The TITLEPIC is based on the cover of Brave New World since the song is in that album.

TITLEPIC.png

Hi mate, would you like to shoot a video of kind of a reskined E1M1 with gl lights (+3d ceiling lights)?

Also its little brother (somewhat nonbeloved by others compare to its bigger brother) colored E1M1

They both are literaly E1M1 with makeup so it wont take long.

Blood Flood is just a working title, the episode will revolve around healing blood pools (thanks to a script from @Nevander) It's currently just one map, MAP02 of DOOM II, and is in UDMF format so needs to run in GZDoom.  Hope you enjoy it, it's my very first map :)

@Sparktimus

This is the first map of a 4 to 5 level mapset and left me excited to play more. It's quite short which I really like (I love Scythe) and has a classic Doom 1 feeling as it doesn't feature the SSG or higher tier monsters.

The map looks good with mild detailing throughout and some solid lighting effects. However, there are places where more lighting variation would make a big difference.

The difficulty is fairly even and forgiving throughout the map. There isn't a huge amount of health so if one of the hitscanners tags you down to low hp it can be quite precarious. The abundance of tier 1 hitscanners make this pretty damn fun to play as you're constantly one-shotting enemies with the shotgun.

I look forward to playing more of Sparktimus' maps and will definitely play through this mapset when it's released in full.

Download: https://www.doomworld.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=30980

On 3/26/2018 at 5:11 PM, HAK3180 said:

Alright, I'd like to have you play through Maps 13 and 15 in Crossbearer whenever you get around to it.

Make that 13, 14, and 15, whenever you might get around to it. Old file is fine for 13 and 15, but might as well grab the latest version.

Doomworld forum topic

All probably 15-25 minutes with commentary

@xvertigox, I'd be honored if you play my latest map:

I also have another map created earlier this month, if your playlist needs filling :)

Cheers 🤘 

@Bushpig2dope

Bushpig's 2 dope challenge is a fairly competent map but it does have some flaws. For the most part it's enjoyable and I'm always interested to play Doom 2 maps that don't feature the SSG. However, in this case, the SSG would have actually been quite useful.

The combat is mostly shotgunning tier 1 enemies but then 20% of it is shotgunning Barons which just isn't fun. There is one instance where the Baron is close to you in an enclosed space and in that situation the combat is engaging. All the other times it's overly easy and dull.

I like the texturing and detailing for most of the map. It's a classic techbase with nukage and a ZDoom twist. The main open area features a small catwalk around a nukage pit that makes the feel atypical which is a good thing in this case.

Overall, this is a decent map that misses the mark a bit but is still worth playing.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/s4746dmgp6mrfux/2dopechallenge.rar

15 hours ago, xvertigox said:

Ok I just got done watching the video

You point out the Barons heaps in the video which is so justified. Watching someone else play really did prove that they were just shit really. The Barons originally served as sort of "tanks" in larger battles, a force that was constantly there during a fight unless specifically targeted by you. I really regret this but I actually deleted a fair few enemy teleports and stuff after the largely negative feedback of my friends claiming it was "unfair" but just kept the Barons for some reason, and even these enemy teleports are left out of the harder version I have available and linked you. I think maybe instead of you playing this current harder version I'll restore it to its former glory, but if you'd like to play it by all means go right ahead. I actually think that harder version I linked has a few misaligned textures that I forgot to fix but game play its all there.

That Cyber fight proved to be a mess haha. Shows how well I play test things really. I actually planned on the player using that window as a main fighting ground and teleporting back and fourth to attack it in small bursts, remaining in danger but man was I wrong. That was cheesed so easy. I think I'll make the nukage pool (turned blood) raise once the cyber spawns in and provide the player with another rad so if he/she wishes to fight in the pool.

I agree, consoles aren't used enough! One thing I tried to do in this map was making it look nice, give it a fluent and coherent style which it sounds like I succeeded in, which is nice :) - Though yeah, a few more secrets couldn't hurt.

Thanks for the map making tips, I appreciated your honesty. Have a good one

EDIT:
Heres the harder version - http://www.mediafire.com/file/9jyez8zg2a66bju/2dopechallengehard.wad
Oh and be aware that the harder version pretty much just adds more monsters and less ammo + health, theres not heaps of additional content, no pressure to play it. Once again thanks heaps man!

Edited by Bushpig2dope

2 hours ago, xvertigox said:

@Bushpig2dope All good brother. Hit me up if you ever want any play testing done. Here's the hard mode version. The runs sloppy due to vodka but m3h.

Well played, though I did notice that somehow the mod you're using managed to break the While(ThingCount(0, 13) > 0) ACS scripting. In the circle room with the yellow key all those enemies weren't supposed to spawn at once, and the nukage teleport with the pinkies wasn't meant to teleport you out straight away either. Strange. 

10 minutes ago, Bushpig2dope said:

Well played, though I did notice that somehow the mod you're using managed to break the While(ThingCount(0, 13) > 0) ACS scripting. In the circle room with the yellow key all those enemies weren't supposed to spawn at once, and the nukage teleport with the pinkies wasn't meant to teleport you out straight away either. Strange. 

Interesting, I wonder if it has to do with Smooth Doom? I also noticed the weirdness with the pinkies.

@guitardz

With this being guitardz' first map he's off to a good start. The map has a curious gimmick where there are essentially no health pickups but rather a blood pool that heals you. I did expect this to be more of a feature to be honest. As it stands now there is only one blood pool which I used only once or twice. You don't rely on the blood pool but rather on not getting hit.

The dynamic lighting used throughout does make the map pop more but it also highlights the lack of detailing. A lot of areas are boxy with little no detail. This could be ok if it was a vanilla map but as a ZDoom map with ZDoom features there should be a bit more detail.

I noticed a quirk in the map flow where you could bypass the vast majority of the map by getting the blue key early and going straight to the exit. I did a quick run to see how quickly I could complete the map and I finished it in 44 seconds. This is a pretty easy fix and does stem from the smart choice to add a shortcut from the blue key to the exit door to avoid backtracking.

Combat is average for the most part. You're either shotgunning tier 1 enemies or back peddling from Barons. It'd be good to see some variety added and some Barons removed. A teleport trap or revenants would go a long way.

This map is ok (quite solid for a first map) but I would wait for future iterations before giving it a go.

Thread/download: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/100393-looking-for-feedback-on-my-very-first-doom-map/

@beast

Delta is a short and sweet techbase with a few twists. That's pretty much all that needs to be said about it. If you like techbases then download and play Delta.

The map flow is solid, there isn't any real backtracking. The combat is on point and is challenging at times. The detailing, especially the lighting, is enough to keep the map looking interesting but not gaudy.

I really enjoyed this map and will definitely be playing more of beast's maps.

Thread/download: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/100410-anyone-up-to-play-test-my-tech-base-map/

2 minutes ago, whirledtsar said:

There's some nasty audio crackling throughout the video

Ah, shit, there is. Thanks for the heads up, will get it sorted for next video.

Looking forward to watching that @Bushpig2dope 🤘

I mapped another possessed techbase, @xvertigox, if you please. I'm in two minds if it's any good, but at least it's short. Doom2, UV recommended at around 10 minutes playtime. :)

Now that I've submitted Atonement E1 + E2 to idgames, I figure I should give you a heads up that there's a bonus level on the Map21 slot in the final release. I'd love to hear what you have to say about it!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/v555u55mby4ye52/atonE1E2.zip

EDIT: There are also numerous changes to the other maps as well that I would love to hear your opinions on, but I think Map21 won't leave you with enough time to discuss them.