Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The_SloVinator

YouTube channel dedicated to DooM PWAD music compilations?

Was thinking of making a youtube channel with PWAD music compilations. One megawad per video.

However, I'm not sure 100 % if I should. Need your opinion.

Also, I dunno the right software to render midi files together. Vegas doesn't support midi, nor Camtasia 8. Need some tips on that.

If it's gonna be possible to make a channel, what should I include in the description? Asking, so I won't forget. I know crediting is a must, timestamps, from which wad is it, which level...

4 hours ago, A7MAD said:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheV1perK1ller/playlists?shelf_id=3&view=50&sort=dd

The dude's a legend! His entire playlist is full of years(I think) worth of uploading doom pwad music , use his video examples as advice. 

I was literally going to suggest this same person; V1per is a beast with the music he's posted but he's also pretty badass at playing Doom as well.

V1perK1ller would try to include other maps that a given MIDI appeared on, can't say I'd recommend trying this unless you restrict it to just more notable uses because good lord, have fun trying to list every map that uses *Mark Klem MIDI here* :P Though it seems out of scope if you're focusing on entire megawads in one video, in which case I don't think you need anything more than what you already listed: Map - Timestamp - Track name - Author or video game of origin if it's from somewhere else.

MIDIs aren't audio files (effectively they're sheet music for a computer) so they need to be converted into an actual audio file that your programs can read, such as WAV or MP3. YouTube will compress the audio anyway so it doesn't matter too much which you use but WAV is uncompressed whereas with MP3 you'd still want to use a relatively high bitrate of like 192 or more in the conversion.

As for how you do that, well I used to use the FL Studio demo for this, as I did with the full Revolution! MIDI Pack video. Advantages of this are the removal of the polyphony limit, so there's no risk of notes getting cut off in busier MIDIs (you definitely want this feature available). Disadvantages were that some of the MIDIs were a bit glitched in various ways when exported - I ironed most of them out but there's still some in there sadly. I also had to manually redraw pitch bends on some of the songs because FL doesn't care if a MIDI uses the non-default range for that. It's also a huge download.

eh, there's probably a much better method without all the hassle. Hopefully this was vaguely helpful at least.

6 hours ago, Eris Falling said:

V1perK1ller would try to include other maps that a given MIDI appeared on, can't say I'd recommend trying this unless you restrict it to just more notable uses because good lord, have fun trying to list every map that uses *Mark Klem MIDI here* :P Though it seems out of scope if you're focusing on entire megawads in one video, in which case I don't think you need anything more than what you already listed: Map - Timestamp - Track name - Author or video game of origin if it's from somewhere else.

MIDIs aren't audio files (effectively they're sheet music for a computer) so they need to be converted into an actual audio file that your programs can read, such as WAV or MP3. YouTube will compress the audio anyway so it doesn't matter too much which you use but WAV is uncompressed whereas with MP3 you'd still want to use a relatively high bitrate of like 192 or more in the conversion.

As for how you do that, well I used to use the FL Studio demo for this, as I did with the full Revolution! MIDI Pack video. Advantages of this are the removal of the polyphony limit, so there's no risk of notes getting cut off in busier MIDIs (you definitely want this feature available). Disadvantages were that some of the MIDIs were a bit glitched in various ways when exported - I ironed most of them out but there's still some in there sadly. I also had to manually redraw pitch bends on some of the songs because FL doesn't care if a MIDI uses the non-default range for that. It's also a huge download.

eh, there's probably a much better method without all the hassle. Hopefully this was vaguely helpful at least.

If I convert MIDI files to WAV or MP3, it changes the tone. Doesn't sound like a MIDI file & I'm not sure how people will perceive that. I don't mind uploading it that way but will DooM fans enjoy it? That's something I need a clear answer or an opinion on.

I like how it sounds myself but I dunno. What's your take on this?

Edited by The_SloVinator

3 hours ago, The_SloVinator said:

If I convert MIDI files to WAV or MP3, it changes the tone. Doesn't sound like a MIDI file & I'm not sure how people will perceive that. I don't mind uploading it that way but will DooM fans enjoy it? That's something I need a clear answer or an opinion on.

I like how it sounds myself but I dunno. What's your take on this?

It's the same when you record the midi in-game by using a soundfont, like I did for some tracks that I posted on Youtube...

Ideally you want a sound as close to the Microsoft synth or at least the Roland SC-55 as possible because most MIDIs are generally made with those in mind. In that sense soundfonts are bit like gameplay mods that completely change things up - sometimes it'll work pretty well, sometimes it'll be an awful mess. If the recordings are being passed through a soundfont and you can find how to configure this, there was some Roland SoundCanvas soundfont that was a pretty accurate emulation of the Microsoft synth (not the SC55 soundfont, though I guess it would make a decent enough alternative). Unfortunately I don't have it anymore, but I think @esselfortium used it for her BTSX music, so maybe she still has it.

1 hour ago, Eris Falling said:

Ideally you want a sound as close to the Microsoft synth or at least the Roland SC-55 as possible because most MIDIs are generally made with those in mind. In that sense soundfonts are bit like gameplay mods that completely change things up - sometimes it'll work pretty well, sometimes it'll be an awful mess. If the recordings are being passed through a soundfont and you can find how to configure this, there was some Roland SoundCanvas soundfont that was a pretty accurate emulation of the Microsoft synth (not the SC55 soundfont, though I guess it would make a decent enough alternative). Unfortunately I don't have it anymore, but I think @esselfortium used it for her BTSX music, so maybe she still has it.

I don't recall where I originally got it, but I've reuploaded it: http://esselfortium.net/wasd/Roland_SoundCanvas.sf2

Thanks for uploading that soundfont, I've been looking for that or something like it for quite some time, I use some ancient MIDI to MP3 converter that requires .sf2's to convert them correctly and the only soundfont I had was just not right.

Ok... I think I'll stick to simple conversion to mp3.

Also, should I include screenshots of each map from the megawad for each track in the video or just a still image or the title picture?

35 minutes ago, The_SloVinator said:

Ok... I think I'll stick to simple conversion to mp3.

Also, should I include screenshots of each map from the megawad for each track in the video or just a still image or the title picture?

It's up to you if you want to include screenshots of the map in question for more info because you can add the basic info in the description, right? ;)

46 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

It's up to you if you want to include screenshots of the map in question for more info because you can add the basic info in the description, right? ;)

I guess. I'll see.

9 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

Let me put an example of one of my videos....

You used a soundfont to record this, right? I'm unfamiliar with this stuff.

How do you record the in-game midi file and which soundfont do you use?

14 hours ago, The_SloVinator said:

You used a soundfont to record this, right? I'm unfamiliar with this stuff.

How do you record the in-game midi file and which soundfont do you use?

Yes, I used a soundfont to reproduce music. The soundfont is SGM-V2.01.sf2 and to record the video, I have D3DGear 4.98 (psst...I have it cracked) which is a software recorder.

There are similar software recorders like Fraps, OBS,Studio, Loilo, Bandicam or Lightworks.

Forgot to say that I made the video with Windows Movie Maker.......

Edited by leodoom85

For MIDI recordings, I've used the Sound Canvas VA virtual instrument to handle SC-55/-88(Pro) track output. What you do is set up a new MIDI port through an application like LoopMIDI, then download SAVIHost which lets you run individual VSTs like SC-VA in a separate window. This lets me listen to in-game MIDI tracks using the SC-VA without having to run it all through VirtualMidiSynth or BASSMIDI with a less versatile soundfont. I really enjoy Patch's SC-55 soundfont and would trust that more for authentic classic Doom MIDI, but SC-VA's more flexible by far. Making a MIDI score for SC-88 playback via SC-VA would be super cool, and I get the feeling that even the best scene musicians composing/arranging for MS Wavetable Synth or SC-55 would like to break out of those constraints without resorting to fully-featured DTM sequencers.