Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
USK GOV

How do i make an icon of sin boss fight

Question

I was wondering how to make an icon of sin boss fight i know the enemy that is the icon of sin it's just i don't know how to make the boss it's self?

Screenshot_3.png

9 answers to this question

The Icon of Sin "enemy" in Map 30 of DooM2 consists of 4 elements:

1. The exterior graphic of the demon face, which consists of a composite of the ZZZFACEx graphics.

2. Corresponding to the hole in the brain of the demon face (ZZZFACE3) is a sector leading back to another sector with a lower floor.

3. In the sector with a lower floor insert a Boss Brain (Thing Type 88). This is the head of John Romero on a stick.

4. In the sector leading back to the another sector, insert a Boss Shooter (Thing Type 89).

[The second sector has a lower floor so that the player can't simply shoot a couple of rockets into the hole, and kill off the Boss Brain. The sector configuration ensures that the Boss Brain is affected primarily by the rocket's splash damage, rather than taking direct rocket hits. If you want to make the fight easier, don't create a sector with a lower height.]

21 minutes ago, ReX said:

The Icon of Sin "enemy" in Map 30 of DooM2 consists of 4 elements:

1. The exterior graphic of the demon face, which consists of a composite of the ZZZFACEx graphics.

2. Corresponding to the hole in the brain of the demon face (ZZZFACE3) is a sector leading back to another sector with a lower floor.

3. In the sector with a lower floor insert a Boss Brain (Thing Type 88). This is the head of John Romero on a stick.

4. In the sector leading back to the another sector, insert a Boss Shooter (Thing Type 89).

[The second sector has a lower floor so that the player can't simply shoot a couple of rockets into the hole, and kill off the Boss Brain. The sector configuration ensures that the Boss Brain is affected primarily by the rocket's splash damage, rather than taking direct rocket hits. If you want to make the fight easier, don't create a sector with a lower height.]

Remember that, since the demon face is a composite, you will actually need 9 sectors to make it. You will need 9 sectors that are 128 x 128 x 2 (or 1 or 4 or whatever, the point is thin) arranged in a 3 x 3 array. You will actually end up with a small ledge, but it will be imperceptible from a distance. (This ledge is the entire reason why Doom 2 Map 30 can be beaten on Tyson.)

--------------------------

|     1    |    2    |     3    |

|     4    |    5    |     6    |

|     7    |    8    |     9    |

From a distance, this will look like a smooth 384 high demon face, provided the sectors are sufficiently narrow.

I think you also need to put a midtexture on the linedef that would correspond to the hole in the skull so you can't just see through into the hole and see the Boss Brain. Doom 2 used the DBRAIN textures of the midtexture of the double-sided linedef.

3 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Remember that, since the demon face is a composite, you will actually need 9 sectors to make it.

I think you also need to put a midtexture on the linedef that would correspond to the hole in the skull so you can't just see through into the hole and see the Boss Brain. Doom 2 used the DBRAIN textures of the midtexture of the double-sided linedef.

Both are very valid points.

Another way to set things up if you don't want to bother with very thin sectors is to set up the demon face using middle textures with appropriate y-offsets. But one can't go wrong with the thin-sector method.

This is going to sound like I'm being a douche, but I'm curious: why did you include a picture of the IoS? I'm pretty sure everyone that peruses these forums knows what it is. Honest question.

13 hours ago, Chewyninja69 said:

This is going to sound like I'm being a douche, but I'm curious: why did you include a picture of the IoS? I'm pretty sure everyone that peruses these forums knows what it is. Honest question.

@USK GOV can respond for himself, but in his absence, I'll interject with my opinion. His question was basically how do I make the IoS look the way it does at the end of Doom 2? It is entirely possible for you to have a boss fight with the IoS (or a portion thereof) that doesn't look exactly like the demon face at the end of Doom 2. If I had to guess, I would say USK GOV was including the picture to make clear that the intent was to duplicate that specific appearance and have it function the way it did in Doom 2, not in another PWAD.

You also need BossTarget things which tell the BossShooter where to send the BossCubes. I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet.

4 minutes ago, Empyre said:

You also need BossTarget things which tell the BossShooter where to send the BossCubes.

You are quite correct. The map also needs a Spawn Spot (Thing Type 87).

20 minutes ago, ReX said:

You are quite correct. The map also needs a Spawn Spot (Thing Type 87).

Did you mean DoomEdNum 87, the BossTarget I already mentioned?

4 hours ago, Empyre said:

Did you mean DoomEdNum 87, the BossTarget I already mentioned?

Indeed, the same thing. [The difference in nomenclature comes from the use of different map editors.]