Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

How to create thing categories inside Doom builder 2?

Question

By default the stuff I create just appears inside the decorate section but after a while this causes things to become bloated there. Is there some way to create custom categories for my stuff to make it easier to find what I need?

8 answers to this question

42 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Isn't there a much more simple way to do this? I have forgotten the method but I could have sworn that merely adding something to the actor definitions inside their decorate file was enough to create custom categories.

You mean Categories inside the editor itself ?, you can use this :

Actor MyActor

{
//$Category EvilMonsters
//$Title dmg_64

Category defines the custom category to put your actor in, and Title gives it a custom title different than it's actor name, your actor however must have a DoomEdNum.

You can do the following for better resource management:

1. Create a folder and name it DECORATE

2. Within it, you create your categories of definitions (or individual definitions, if that suits you). Each will be a text file with your definitions.

3. Outside your DECORATE folder you create a text file named DECORATE.txt. In this, you list all the individual file names in your DECORATE folder using the following format:

#include "Decorate/[FileName].txt"

Isn't there a much more simple way to do this? I have forgotten the method but I could have sworn that merely adding something to the actor definitions inside their decorate file was enough to create custom categories.

30 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Isn't there a much more simple way to do this?

I'm not aware of an alternative method, but perhaps there is one.

@hardcore_gamer there's a list of Doom Builder DECORATE keys on the ZDoom wiki -- they're basically comments that hold editor-specific metadata. The "//$Category" key will solve your specific problem, and the others are handy too.

2 hours ago, dmg_64 said:

You mean Categories inside the editor itself ?, you can use this :

Actor MyActor

{
//$Category EvilMonsters
//$Title dmg_64

Category defines the custom category to put your actor in, and Title gives it a custom title different than it's actor name, your actor however must have a DoomEdNum.

You can create a single level of subfolder too this way, e.g.:

//$Category Monsters/EvilMonsters

If you use the names of the already existing folders in Doom Builder they'll show up in there too.