Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cant delete my DW account

I 'made' a thing,but can I post it?

I'm with fraggle on this one. If you haven't gotten permission from said authors, don't even THINK about posting it.

And for heaven's sake, it's 'literally', not litterally.

4 hours ago, fraggle said:

Do you have permission from the authors of those mods?

No,and I guess I won't upload it then.

3 hours ago, HavoX said:

I'm with fraggle on this one. If you haven't gotten permission from said authors, don't even THINK about posting it.

And for heaven's sake, it's 'literally', not litterally.

Sorry HavoX,on my country,Italy,we have a similar word with the same meaning which doubles the 'T' and I got confused.

7 hours ago, DharmaForOne said:

You're transparent about the sources. I think it's okay.

Definitely not without explicit permission from authors (unless their readme says otherwise).

It really depends on the source of the resources you're using, but generally you have to get permission from the author or credit them. Most wads (particulary from idgames) include a readme text were they specify if you can use or not it's resources and if you are required to credit the author or get permission

If you can't find such file or any info about any kind of credit needed to use the resource, then you should always asume that you have to get permission from the author

Maybe the others are okay, but Ancient Aliens is the one that really sticks out as "not okay" and you should really get permission for. People tend to frown on modifying other people's levels.

But why would you mish-mash FreeDoom, Ancient Aliens, two projects with high acclaim with Brutal Doom monster stuff, a mod which has had quite the controversy in the past?

But what is FinalDoomer+?

On 19/2/2018 at 8:37 PM, Glaice said:

But why would you mish-mash FreeDoom, Ancient Aliens, two projects with high acclaim with Brutal Doom monster stuff, a mod which has had quite the controversy in the past?

But what is FinalDoomer+?

FinalDoomer+ is a weapon mod which adds weapon sets suited for wads,including Ancient Aliens.

I decided to change from BDMonsters to some other randomizer mod so that it doesn't show off FreeDooM monsters. Maybe Colorful Hell or something.

But I'll probably take it for me until I get permission for the megawad.

On 17.02.2018 at 2:38 PM, FraxGamer314 said:

I said it with the ' ' because I litterally made a Ancient Aliens TC by mashin'up FreeDooM,FinalDoomer+,Ancient Aliens itself,and Brutal Doom Monsters.

Am I able to post a download link anywhere here?

Urgh, fuck me... no, you can't. Unless you have permission of people who were done all that stuff.

I personally don't grant my permission since I'm one of Freedoom contributors and sprites artists.

1 minute ago, fraggle said:

Freedoom is the one thing you don't need permission to reuse.

I know. But, if he's gonna use my stuff in such kind of mess he have done already I would to say 'no'.

1 hour ago, CWolf said:

I know. But, if he's gonna use my stuff in such kind of mess he have done already I would to say 'no'.

What you are basically saying is you are imposing additional restrictions on your freedoom contributions beyond the freedoom license. If you are serious, freedoom would have to drop your contributions. Please don't be serious.

4 minutes ago, Jon said:

What you are basically saying is you are imposing additional restrictions on your freedoom contributions beyond the freedoom license. If you are serious, freedoom would have to drop your contributions. Please don't be serious.

I'm not serious. Partially.

If someone want to use these resources outside Freedoom that's more than good, BUT. I kinda don't like such mish-mash-whatever_it_is_but_it_brewtawlebleymerggedwithbrewtooldhoom stuff. It just doesn't fit each other so I have some sort of problem with it.

As a part of resource randomizer - sure, why not.

As a part of some person' mod - sure, why not.

Hell, even as a standalone game based on my sprites without even telling me "look I've made a game with your stuff" - I have no problems with it, it just great by the fact itself that it was happen.

the "I litterally made a Bla-bluh TC by mashin'up FreeDooM,Bleh-blaw,Bla-bluh itself,and brewtoolsomwhatthing stuff? Sorry no. Not will happen.

At this point I might to make something specified for such things (that's easier and more pleasuring, really) but not now and not for mashups related to BD stuff somehow.

If I'll ever will do something BD related it might to happen if me and Mark will have things to discuss.

12 minutes ago, CWolf said:

I'm not serious. Partially.

If someone want to use these resources outside Freedoom that's more than good, BUT. I kinda don't like such mish-mash-whatever_it_is_but_it_brewtawlebleymerggedwithbrewtooldhoom stuff. It just doesn't fit each other so I have some sort of problem with it.

As a part of resource randomizer - sure, why not.

As a part of some person' mod - sure, why not.

Hell, even as a standalone game based on my sprites without even telling me "look I've made a game with your stuff" - I have no problems with it, it just great by the fact itself that it was happen.

the "I litterally made a Bla-bluh TC by mashin'up FreeDooM,Bleh-blaw,Bla-bluh itself,and brewtoolsomwhatthing stuff? Sorry no. Not will happen.

At this point I might to make something specified for such things (that's easier and more pleasuring, really) but not now and not for mashups related to BD stuff somehow.

If I'll ever will do something BD related it might to happen if me and Mark will have things to discuss.

I will have it private so don't worry

2 hours ago, CWolf said:

1 hour ago, CWolf said:

Hey, I appreciate that you don't like the "aesthetics" of such mods (I don't like "mashup" mods like these either). But if there's any chance that you're going to complain about people reusing stuff you've contributed to Freedoom then we need to remove your contributions, because it means you're not okay with the Freedoom license. So please clarify, because that's what's about to happen based on your comments in this thread, and I really don't want to have to do that. I suspect you don't either.

Here's the deal: when we contribute things to Freedoom, we do so under the assumption that those contributions can be reused by anyone. That's the point of the project, really - anyone can reuse Freedoom, for anything they want at all. There are no conditions on reuse, you don't need to ask anyone for permission, and nobody can object.

For example, I've put a huge amount of effort into Freedoom myself, but suppose someone decided to reuse Freedoom to make their own mod called "Fraggle is the World's Biggest Asshole: A Doom Mod", there's nothing I can say to complain about it. That's how it is - we give up control over our own stuff that we've made, but everyone else gains the freedom to reuse anything from this big collection of free assets. If you're not onboard with that, that's fine - but we do need to know.

@CWolf - ping, please clarify since you have not responded and it's important that you do. Happy to discuss in private if you'd prefer.

Based on the original post, it sounds like a funny mash-up. Why not post a video of it on YouTube instead?

@CWolf Don't worry - your work isn't "tarnished" by being included in a mash-up, any more than Doom is tarnished by mash-ups. Your work will stand on its own, no matter where it is used. Someone may see your work in such a mod, and recognize it as being top-notch, and use it in an awesome mod. That's how sharing works, and it benefits everyone.

@fraggleCan you send me some pictures of your head, turned in 8 rotations? A great idea for a mod just came to me out of thin air :)

This post made me think about conceptually, what if someone released an executable that accepted all these files as input (specifying the files must be legally obtained) and then combined them as necessary on a binary level by saying "put the first X bytes of file 1 here, then X bytes from 2, then X more from 1" etc. Basically, declaratively defining the mashup of files but not distributing those files, only a one-button way of the user themselves combining them at home. Would the user executing this program be violating any laws or is that considered fair use? I assume the distributor isn't violating anything in that case.

@insertwackynamehere That is kinda how mods with replacement sprites used to work. Because of how vanilla Doom parsed sprite images, all of them had to be included, either in the PWAD, or in a hacked-up IWAD. Such mods included programs in the zip that would take your IWAD, and the mod, and extract the sprites from one, and combine them into the other. This allowed the mod to have both original monsters, and custom monsters in the same game, without having to distribute the original monster sprites.

Nowadays, source ports handle this at runtime, in memory. So, it should be possible to do the mashup thing by loading all the unmodified PWADs, without having to combine them manually, as long as you don't run into problems like duplicated lump names. But, these name conflicts are common.

So, yes, it would be nice to have either a tool that can combine resources based on a script, or to have that functionality built into a source port.

That'd be fine because the user can do anything they like to files, it's distribution that's controlled.