Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Is it possible to use linedefs for skys instead of sectors?

Recommended Posts

Is there some way to have linedefs render sky graphics instead of sectors? Like if you created a window and wanted the texture inside the window to be a sky?

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/58-editing-questions/

 

There's better places to ask editing questions.

 

As for having 'sky walls', surround the area in a sector who's ceiling is F_SKY1, then lower it's ceiling to the same height as the floor. Reference E1M1 or MAP01 of the IWADS to see how it is done there if you're unsure.

 

I already knew that was possible. I was merely curious if it's possible to use actual linedefs directly somehow. A part of the reason I ask is because I created a slanted wall and I sort of want to have a window inside of it, but it's not really possible to do this the old fashioned way.

Share this post


Link to post

Screenshot would greatly help explain what you mean in this context. 2D & 3D views, please.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Is there some way to have linedefs render sky graphics instead of sectors? Like if you created a window and wanted the texture inside the window to be a sky?

I don't see why you could not do this. After all, the textures for the sky are just, ... well, textures.

For example:

Spoiler

0nZiih9.png

 

 

However I would suggest to place the 'sky' into a narrow, rounded sector to simulate depth.

Spoiler

ml9jPsM.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post

That's not always true and could / will produce unintended results, especially in future versions of GZDoom! :)

 

It's best to use the vanilla method to make it sky (drag a ceiling with F_SKY1 to the same height as the floor), or alternately use line_Horizon (Line action 9, IIRC). I'm assuming hardcore_gamer doesn't need help anymore since I'm more than certain Empyre's example is enough to help them, and we've still not had a response.

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

That's not always true and could / will produce unintended results, especially in future versions of GZDoom! :)

 

It's best to use the vanilla method to make it sky (drag a ceiling with F_SKY1 to the same height as the floor), or alternately use line_Horizon (Line action 9, IIRC). I'm assuming hardcore_gamer doesn't need help anymore since I'm more than certain Empyre's example is enough to help them, and we've still not had a response.

I have dropped the idea of using linedefs because I realized that if you lower the grid size to something like 0.25 you can make an extra sector inside the window that is so small nobody can see it and then just lower it's ceiling thus creating a skybox. it does the same thing as what I wanted to do basically.

Share this post


Link to post

You could do that with any size sector - it's what I explained to you here! :)

 

On 18/02/2018 at 1:24 AM, Dragonfly said:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/58-editing-questions/

 

There's better places to ask editing questions.

 

As for having 'sky walls', surround the area in a sector who's ceiling is F_SKY1, then lower it's ceiling to the same height as the floor. Reference E1M1 or MAP01 of the IWADS to see how it is done there if you're unsure.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Don't worry guys I figured it out on my own by doing exactly what you said.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×