Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Airplane and spaceship maps?

I've played a few spaceship maps in my time but they're all pretty much generic rooms and corridors.  They're really well-made in the Star Trek games that work on the quake 3 engine, is there any reason gzdoom couldn't match anything like in the attachment?

Also, wads set on an airplane (whether private jet or airliner) - haven't really seen any of those.  There's a map in that joke wad "dance" that has you on a 2s surface soaring through the clouds, though.

Star-Trek-Elite-Force-II-large-52.jpg

UAC_DEAD has a spaceship as the exit. Phobos: Anomaly Reborn has you starting in of a crashed spaceship. A.L.T.'s first level is in a plane and the second surrounds the crash site. No End In Sight's e2m4 is my favorite spaceship map.

Starship maps:

Vrack Series

Deus Vult 2 MAP20

Exit section and E1M9 of galaxia.wad are sets in a little starship / UFO

The invade series

Many other that I don't remember now

Airplane maps.... The only one I remember, over the mentioned A. L. T. MAP01, is a really bad jokewad called airplane.wad or Romero airplane that is just a SHAWN2 little room filled with spider masterminds and romero's heads... Also, probably a map into the dynamite DM mapset.

Doom doesn't have many airplane wads, isn't it?

I think there is a airplane segment in Mandrill ass project(tho its a unconventional one),and one in e4m9 of ultimate doom in name only(a wip,but you can play it)

9 hours ago, invictius said:

I've played a few spaceship maps in my time but they're all pretty much generic rooms and corridors.  They're really well-made in the Star Trek games that work on the quake 3 engine, is there any reason gzdoom couldn't match anything like in the attachment?

Your better off looking here https://forum.zdoom.org/viewforum.php?f=19 if your after creativity...
The people here seem more focused on vanilla doom editing so you wont see many sophisticated level designs with new assets and models ect.

25 minutes ago, NaturalTvventy said:

Doesn’t Ancient Aliens have space ships in it? Epic 2? I’m just remembering from YouTube videos.

Epic 2 is mostly Egyptian themed pyramid-y levels, except for that one (or two?) maps that teleport you to an alien ship? Even though it didn't look very alien ship-ish to me... just my opinion.

2 hours ago, DanielAlexander said:

Action Doom - Map01 has an airplane

Isn't a helicopter where you parachute down to the city?

20 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Isn't a helicopter where you parachute down to the city?

Its an airplane :)

There are a ton of examples, but these are the first that come to mind. Warning though! Aside from the first three entries, most of these are older levels that lie on the err..cute side of the spectrum.

Cold as Hell and Action Doom begin with short jaunts on planes. They're the most convincing examples thanks to some zdoom wizardry.

Pleiades (the 2000 version) is an episode where you visit various locales using the eponymous starship as a sort of hub (including the above mentioned Mir). One of my all-time favorites.

Space 23 is a charming single map from 95 that puts more effort into selling the theme then most space-based maps of the time. Has a ton of new graphics.

Flight 57 is a single vanilla deathmatch map that takes place on a plane. Comes with a lot of cheesy sounds and graphics. You can even "fall off" the plane and listen to Neil Armstrong's "One small step for man" speech as you plummet. Brian Hess's other maps are all similarly goofy. Worth checking him out.

The Adventures of Sub has a lot of cute vehicle sections in it like a plane, a helicopter, and of course a submarine. This is a an old mapset I downloaded from Tony Soderlund's website years ago along with a single city map called Delcret. I uploaded the wads I managed to grab to the archive, but unfortunately there were various other wads on his site that disappeared when it went down. Who knows how many other weird old levels have been lost to time :[

Like SuperCupcakeTactics mentioned, Missions is another old wad that starts on a plane. The second map is even a cute "skydiving" section. 

And to toot my own horn, like every other map I've made has involved a space vessel of some sort. 

Realistic airplanes would make for terrible maps. It's just a cramped cylinder with rows of seats and/or a cargo hold.

Besides the already mentioned...

Space Station Omega and its sequel have spaceships and space stations.

RTC-3057 is inside a big space.

Doom Darkstar takes place in a big spaceship.

The intro of High Tech Hell 2 has a spaceship.

Suspended In Dusk's last level has you leaving through a starship.

I'm trying and failing to remember a somewhat recent megawad that had an Ancient Aliens-style flying saucer used for transition between a few maps.

My very own Doomed Space Wars. A Zdoom episode of Star Wars-like maps but Doom-like gameplay. 12 singleplayer levels (9 levels, 3 secret levels) and 10 deathmatch levels and original music.

13 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Starship maps:

Vrack Series

Deus Vult 2 MAP20

Exit section and E1M9 of galaxia.wad are sets in a little starship / UFO

The invade series

Many other that I don't remember now

Airplane maps.... The only one I remember, over the mentioned A. L. T. MAP01, is a really bad jokewad called airplane.wad or Romero airplane that is just a SHAWN2 little room filled with spider masterminds and romero's heads... Also, probably a map into the dynamite DM mapset.

Doom doesn't have many airplane wads, isn't it?

I found a train map in dynamite DM, what are some other good ones? (I've seen NJ train)

Seconding Pleiades, because its spaceship was consistent throughout the WAD (haven't played Mir yet, but I suppose the spaceship will be similar). The same spaceship rooms could be found in many maps inside the WAD and they weren't overdone or anything.

They had purpose.

For an example, in the Pleiades spaceship, you entered the ship via its teleporters and you could find toilets, living quarters, a room with a bunch of weapons, a room with machines, that probably generates energy, the pilot room and a few other rooms with actual uses.

Also, Epic 2 had some spaceship maps (don't know how many, since I stopped playing at Map13), but they could even be described as tech bases, because there are quite a bunch of them in the WAD and the only things they have in common are similarities in architecture and textures.

As far as invasion mode goes, Armageddon 2 Map07's first 3 waves are on a big space vehicle.

There's also CDM11 from Complex Doom Invasion which is set on the moon.

16 hours ago, lupinx-Kassman said:

Space 23 is a charming single map from 95 that puts more effort into selling the theme then most space-based maps of the time. Has a ton of new graphics.

Flight 57 is a single vanilla deathmatch map that takes place on a plane. Comes with a lot of cheesy sounds and graphics. You can even "fall off" the plane and listen to Neil Armstrong's "One small step for man" speech as you plummet. Brian Hess's other maps are all similarly goofy. Worth checking him out.

The second one was a pretty good map for it's age and even contain some realism parts in it, it's a charming obscure gem. I would like to play more maps from this guy...

Talking about space23... Eh, it's a cute and weird level, I liked the derelict section at the start of the level, but OH MY GOD THAT MIDI. IT WILL HAUNT ME FOREVER.

@invictius there was a community project hosted by zdoom forum called "ztrain" IIRC, but it was abandoned years ago.

Another good train level is MAP01 of revolution!

CONF41: Small Cargo Starship by Angry Saint in Confinement 256. The playable area in that map is 256x256x256; a cube, if you will.