Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rucksack Gamer

Doom Wad Loader For Unity Needed

Hello. I'm remaking Doom in Unity, and it's coming along quite well. I have a GUI, a gun programmed, items, etc. However, there's one problem. I want to start working on AI, doors, and elevators, but making the maps entirely by hand is well, time consuming. I was wondering if anyone has a Wad loader for Unity that will let me just slap the original levels into the editor and edit the game right from there.

My doom map loader for unity still breaks on a bunch of doom 2 levels (things like unclosed sectors and too-complex geometry still have problems), and doesn't handle any line actions like doors or lifts.

8 hours ago, jmickle66666666 said:

My doom map loader for unity still breaks on a bunch of doom 2 levels (things like unclosed sectors and too-complex geometry still have problems), and doesn't handle any line actions like doors or lifts.

I'd love to mess with this; building out the basic geometry in Doombuilder and then adding in scripted stuff like doors and lifts sounds a whole lot faster and easier than using a different 3D program or Probuilder.

On 2/23/2018 at 6:34 AM, jmickle66666666 said:

Can I use it? My map is like, ridiculously slow because of the amount of Probuilder planes used, and I've only got two rooms, and they aren't even completed... Like I said in the origin post, I don't want to make new maps by hand, that way I can focus on making scripts and stuff as said things are... subpar working at the moment. lol

I've already said it's not ideal for what you want anyway, so it doesn't really make sense for me to say it's easy. I did, however, try not to tie up systems together much, so implementing your own player controller should be just as easy as swapping out a prefab reference.

Just now, jmickle66666666 said:

I've already said it's not ideal for what you want anyway, so it doesn't really make sense for me to say it's easy. I did, however, try not to tie up systems together much, so implementing your own player controller should be just as easy as swapping out a prefab reference.

Alright cool. I'll give it a shot and see if it works. I don't mind if it isn't exactly what I need, but not having to entirely rebuild maps would make it SO much easier to do.

I can see it being super useful to not only block out a level you want but also fine tune it in doombuilder, import to Unity, and use Probuilder to sort of trace over it as the final step. You could easily build rooms over rooms this way too and make a bunch of prefabs in Unity for stuff like doors and just put them in the doorways.

5 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

I can see it being super useful to not only block out a level you want but also fine tune it in doombuilder, import to Unity, and use Probuilder to sort of trace over it as the final step. You could easily build rooms over rooms this way too and make a bunch of prefabs in Unity for stuff like doors and just put them in the doorways.

See, GZDoom Builder can export to OBJ files that Unity can utilize, which is SO useful, but there's one problem there. Okay, I lied, there's two problems with that. Firstly, it doesn't map UV, so you have to do that manually, and secondly, it exports in an extremely gigantic scale...

Scale will always be an issue. You just have to scale the map down to something reasonable for what you want. If you import the obj into blender and save it out again, the materials will be set up correctly; its a problem with how gzdb exports.

@Rucksack Gamer you might like this: 

Scroll down to to the bottom of the thread and pick up the version 4 zip file.

Out of the box it loads the shareware doom wad perfectly and is playable.