Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DiR

Which Instrument Should I use in my MIDI?

So, what I've done is I've taken a MIDI of the song "Invaders" by Iron Maiden, and I've been chopping it up a bit for a doom map.

The problem is, the default instrument for the melody was a really high-pitched flute, so I changed it to a piano to alleviate this.

However, a new problem arose: The piano sounded better, but it's almost inaudibly quiet in-game, as well as it not sounding "doomy" enough.

Can anyone recommend an instrument I can use for the main melody of the song?

I've included the midi file so you can check for yourself.

Music.zip

Do you speak about the "vocal" track? Some people usually use choir aahs, square lead, sawtooth lead or some of the "voicey" pads (pad 4 choir). Feel free to experiment to make sure what doesn't overlap heavily over the other instruments.

I sometimes just use a Distortion Guitar, tuned down an octave if necessary. People often use weird planflutes and shit for vocals for whatever reason but it's an easy enough fix to just pop a guitar in and down tune. Keeps it feeling a touch more Doomy that way.

For heavens sake: NEVER use ANY song featuring a prominent vocal line! 
If it has to be Maiden, than take losfer words.....

6 hours ago, DoomGater said:

For heavens sake: NEVER use ANY song featuring a prominent vocal line! 
If it has to be Maiden, than take losfer words.....

Ok, gotcha. I'm swapping songs.

Edit: Or I'm just gonna delete the vocal track. Depends on what I feel like using.

6 hours ago, Valgilton said:

Edit: Or I'm just gonna delete the vocal track. Depends on what I feel like using.

THAT is indeed an option. Many 'vocal' songs make perfect background tracks, when you omit the

vocals...But all melodies played by flute, sax, Aaahs/Ooohs or synth-guitar  tend go get cheesy too easily...
If it sounds too thin without the melody, just double the guitar, make the bass louder or add percussion...just some ideas...

Can we hear a result?

4 hours ago, DoomGater said:

THAT is indeed an option. Many 'vocal' songs make perfect background tracks, when you omit the

vocals...But all melodies played by flute, sax, Aaahs/Ooohs or synth-guitar  tend go get cheesy too easily...
If it sounds too thin without the melody, just double the guitar, make the bass louder or add percussion...just some ideas...

Can we hear a result?

Sure thing. I'm still working on making it sound better, but here's what i have at the moment.

musicV2.zip

Any more suggestions other than the ones stated?