Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Recessed Wall Switches ala Heretic

Currently I am creating a small Heretic level. I am trying to create a recessed wall switch like I've seen done in Heretic many times, yet when I load up Heretic, there's no switch, just HOM. I've checked time and time again to see what I'm doing wrong, yet there are no missing textures or anything. Could someone point me out as to what I'm doing wrong?

make sure any linedefs aren't flagged double sided, and that each sidedef is refering to the correct sector. Any lidedef that has a void on the other side will be HOM or worse when it's flagged two sided.

Does the floor and ceiling height of the recessed switch sector make sense? Say you have a room 0, 128. Is the switch sector 32,48 or something else which makes sense? Back wall of the recessed sector one sided as Use3D says, with the switch as the "main" texture? Textures on the sides of the recessesd sector (main again)?

Biffy said:

Does the floor and ceiling height of the recessed switch sector make sense? Say you have a room 0, 128. Is the switch sector 32,48 or something else which makes sense? Back wall of the recessed sector one sided as Use3D says, with the switch as the "main" texture? Textures on the sides of the recessesd sector (main again)?

Yes, the floor/ceiling heights make sense. The two sides of the "window" are two-sided and so is the back of the recessed switch. This I believe is causing the problem, according to Use3D. Every single time I attempt to draw a window sector, though, DeepSea informs me that I have drawn the sector wrong. Or if I do get it right, and manage to draw it correctly, the window sector turns out to have identical ceiling/floor properties, and what I do to the window sector affects the sector that has identical properties to my window sector. For instance, if I change the windows's floor height to 70 and the ceiling to 200, the same thing happens to the other sector which as affected the window sector to begin with.

Sorry if the above doesn't make sense, but that's the only way I can put it.

Are you drawing the sector clockwise? If you do it backwards, the
sector definitions will be thrown off.

What a mess. :) You can fix those two-sided lines, make them one-sided easily I'm sure. I can't imagine how you are able to make the new window sector share the same sector number as another room sector, but I don't build with DeePsea, just use its other features. You are making these windows through void space (the wall is void) right? When you make the window sector in void space, do you make the four sides (lines), perhaps by rectangular sector prefab, then join a line to each of the sectors against the window? That's the typical WA way and always gives a window sector a unique sector number.
If you want many windows, all sharing the same sector number (for some editing convenience), you could create the first window with, say, sector number 10, then just copy and paste the window frame lines elsewhere and join as needed to sector walls, then complete the task by making the window opening lines two-sided and assigning their back sides to sector 10. Blah.