Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
qweqioweuo123

Is there a decent Duke TC for Doom?

I want to play Duke 3D on my phone but turns out there are no decent ports, the controls suck, and the DosBox controls also suck because they lack the ability to shoot while you aim with your right thumb while you strafe with your left thumb as you can do with Beloko's Doom Touch which is the best Android port ever, so the idea is to use a Duke 3D TC for GZDoom in Beloko's port.

This would be the end result (this is unreleased)

Additionally, if someone knows a way to add that button on the right that allows you to shoot while aiming in any of the Android DosBox ports then let me know. I would prefer this since it would be the actual Build engine.

PS: No, I don't want to use a controller, just touchscreen.

I mean...Doom and Duke are kinda similar to each other,at least graphic wise,and Duke itself kinda looks like a gzdoom wad,so i guess thats why there is no motivation to try to make a decent duke tc for doom :P

2 hours ago, Catpho said:

I mean...Doom and Duke are kinda similar to each other,at least graphic wise,and Duke itself kinda looks like a gzdoom wad,so i guess thats why there is no motivation to try to make a decent duke tc for doom :P

Well there is: to play it on a phone.

5 minutes ago, qweqioweuo123 said:

Well there is: to play it on a phone.

Edit:Nvm,i guess the reason you said is in op.But thats still not enough motivation,from my perspective at at least :/

3 minutes ago, Catpho said:

Can you elaborate?

I did in the OP, but basically, the Duke 3D Android port sucks, and DosBox also lacks the button to shoot and aim at the same time as seen on that video. So with a GZDoom TC, you could play it on Doom Touch with good controls.

It's sad to see how people try to do this. Portable old games is killed by touchscreens and Iphones because of controls. Personally, I played Duke Nukem 3D on PSP (PSX ver. of game) with comfy physical buttons, back in 2007. I feeling myself too old right now.

May be better to ask on Duke forums instead? Or try PSX version on emulator?
maxresdefault.jpg

I don't think there is one.

Basically Duke3D runs on Build Engine while GZDoom is based off Doom Engine. The Build engine allows sectors to move horizontally whilst GZDoom doesn't allow sectors to move horizontally.

Ugh, Porting Build engine maps to an inferior engine is a real pain in the neck, I don't think I want to do that, ain't winning anything for it.

The cancelled "Hail to the King Collection" would've been exactly what you are looking for.

Unfortunately, due to Gearbox acquiring Duke Nukem, 3D Realms lost the right to release any further Duke titles, including this collection, which would've been Megaton Edition on Android basically. ( + PSX Duke maps)

Maybe if enough people bug Randy Pitchford we'll eventually see a release in the future. (Though I doubt it, since after all, it's Gearbox)

Not sure if there's any good Duke TCs out there, though with how uniquely the Build engine handles physics, you're unlikely to get an accurate recreation either way.

On 25/2/2018 at 2:38 PM, riderr3 said:

It's sad to see how people try to do this. Portable old games is killed by touchscreens and Iphones because of controls. Personally, I played Duke Nukem 3D on PSP (PSX ver. of game) with comfy physical buttons, back in 2007. I feeling myself too old right now.

May be better to ask on Duke forums instead? Or try PSX version on emulator?
maxresdefault.jpg

No it's not killed, if it's decently implemented. Did you watch the video I posted?

Beloko's creative solution to be able to shoot while you aim and then with the other thumb strafe, is good enough that I managed to finish Doom 2 in UV on my galaxy S8 phone, that's that. If I can finish D2 I can finish DN3D easily.

Judging by the touch controls on that PSX emulator I can already tell it will suck. The controls must be like this:

Anything else is hell on earth.

I asked on the duke 3d forums already, they are pretty dead.

On 25/2/2018 at 5:50 PM, Doom64hunter said:

The cancelled "Hail to the King Collection" would've been exactly what you are looking for.

Unfortunately, due to Gearbox acquiring Duke Nukem, 3D Realms lost the right to release any further Duke titles, including this collection, which would've been Megaton Edition on Android basically. ( + PSX Duke maps)

Maybe if enough people bug Randy Pitchford we'll eventually see a release in the future. (Though I doubt it, since after all, it's Gearbox)

Not sure if there's any good Duke TCs out there, though with how uniquely the Build engine handles physics, you're unlikely to get an accurate recreation either way.

Indeed, Randy or whoever cancelled it is a total jackass.

Probably the best way is for someone smart to code Beloko's button on Dosbox Magic.

As you see, the fire button is just a single button that doesn't leet you aim while you shoot like on the other video. This is the cause for ALL unplayable experiences in FPS games on touchscreens.

I already contacted the developer here:

http://magicbox.imejl.sk/forums/topic/looking-for-ideal-duke3d-setup/

show support and he may do it.