Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Want to know how common it is to have keys in maps that aren't required to get to the exit

Been powering through Surge and I can't remember many maps that did this.  I'm almost certain it doesn't happen in the iwads apart from perhaps traveling to the secret exit.

Aside from E2M2 which was already mentioned, I'm pretty certain that MAP19 "The Citadel" does not requires all 3 keys even though they're all presented in the map. You can exit the map using the red skull key plus either the blue or the yellow skull key.

As far as iwads, and as far as off the top of my head:

Doom

E1M3 (secret)

E1M4 (eliminates some backtracking)

E2M1 (secret)

E2M2 (secret)

E3M5?

E4M5 (I'm not including most shortcut/speedrun tricks, but this one is just too obvious)

E4M6 (I'm pretty sure one key just gives you the invulnerability to kill the cyberdemon easily)

Doom 2

Map 15 (just a secret, not the secret exit, if I remember correctly)

Map 19 (just need two of three)

TNT 

Map 11 (you need either red or blue, I believe)

Plutonia

???

I'm picturing Map 09 having the Doom 2 Map 19 concept, but I'm not sure they're not all required elsewhere...

Seems they stopped doing that or I know Doom a lot better than I thought, compared to 2 and Final.

Edited by HAK3180 : Just remembered Abattoire

More common than you think I reckon.

In Foursite for example, I used all three keys specifically for encourage backtracking to unlock secret areas.