Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wobbo

Two incredibly deep questions...

If Doom 2 came out as a WAD for doom 1 what do you think wouldve been the community reaction? I mena NOT from id software, just new levels monsters and textures from the mod community?

Now the other way around, if Doom 2 had been the first doom game released, and doom 1 came from the mod community as a prequel, what do you think people would have said about it?

I write this because going back though lots of wads, i thought some of them could have been the original IWAD, becuase i thought they were that GOOD. but what if the only reason they seem so good is because there free and add-ons etc.?

Thoughts. (ill be back)

[B]If Doom 2 came out as a WAD for doom 1 what do you think wouldve been the community reaction? I mena NOT from id software, just new levels monsters and textures from the mod community?

There would've been the same exact reaction most likely. Considering the fact that there was no community at that point in time.

Now the other way around, if Doom 2 had been the first doom game released, and doom 1 came from the mod community as a prequel, what do you think people would have said about it?

This could go 2 ways. Doom 1 was unique for it's fun levels and gameplay. Doom2 was a bit more dry even though it featured new graphics and such. The level design may have been a little bit more advanced but some of the general appearances were lacking. This "doom 1 mod" wouldn't have been as popular as doom2 was because of the fact that it featured less than the real doom2. This is assuming that it's the same doom 1 not with doom2 monsters, textures, etc.

I write this because going back though lots of wads, i thought some of them could have been the original IWAD, becuase i thought they were that GOOD. but what if the only reason they seem so good is because there free and add-ons etc.?

This most likely has to do with more experienced mappers. We map as a hobby, giving us more time to experiment with our styles. ID Software was producing a commericial game and were the first to edit. They had no reference to refer to while building their levels.

You can't but judge in context. Each time you do something you are referring back to what's been done before and you are in fact "stealing" from what's been done even if you do something completely new. Note how in some ways doom2 is like a PWAD, not only does it re-use resources, but it also kind of drifts off the story and the themes in its maps are more varied like when people join forces to put together a PWAD, for in fact, DOOM II was made after hundreds of PWADs were released. Quite unlike DOOM.

If Doom 2 was just made has a WAD for the Original, it most likely would of ended up forgotten like the other good ones.

If Doom was made as a wad for Doom II, it would of been viewed as average at best, with the lack of enemy types, enemy numbers and the SSG.

Doom1 is great, Doom2 is greater because it's more exciting by quite a margin, due to the extra weapon and enemies of course. Doom1 has a better texture set and generally better map design,imo.

Well thats what iu was saying, if doom 1 was two and vice versa, what would people have thought of doom 1 .. after lots of PWADs had been released, as in if it was just another Hell revealed, momento mori, or Alein Vendetta?

Definitley i agree with sysyphus about the creativity thing, but does that make them beter or worse? And at the time of doom 2, many things had been tried in doom 1, so they werent the only ones to use the engine anymore