Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Which iwad midi is the loudest/quietest?

Technically or subjectively speaking, which iwad midi has the highest/lowest volume? Perhaps you could measure loudness by taking the average volume of the instruments throughout the song.

Quietest : Doom 2 Map30

Loudest : Maybe E3M8 or E1M9

The lowest volume, I don't know, but the loudest is probably going to be "Into the Beast's Belly", I remember this one being annoyingly loud when I played MAP11 in Scythe, unlike any other midi.

Loudest could be TNT's map 11 track, not that I have played that map so many times, but the midi is very high compared to others, at least in OPL3, and it starts to annoy me after a while. If I turn the volume a little lower it's actually a funny midi.

And quietest could be umm... searching Wiki... Waiting for Romero to Play, or maybe DOOM, yeah both are pretty chill, two of my favourite Doom 2 tracks.  

I think the quietest midi could be D_OPENIN and the loudest could be the one used in TNT for Metal and Mount Pain.....geez that's loud seriously

43 minutes ago, DepravedDiptera said:

TNT: Evilution- Map02

That shit is loud af if you use OPL emulation because of the sawtooth.

That glitched version of Death's Bells (TNT04).

The TNT Map04-13-29 track is ridiculously loud. It grates on the ear. (Track: Death's Bells)

For the quietest midi, I'd have to go with the Doom 2 Map18-27 track. (Track: Waiting for Romero to Play).

TNT MAP02, MAP04, and MAP08 are the loudest IWAD tracks I can think of, I am grateful I don't have the music volume all the way up when they start to play.

Quietest would be Waiting for Romero to Play (Doom 2's MAP18 and MAP27) and Opening to Hell (Doom 2's MAP30), I sometimes forget that MAP30: Icon of Sin even has music playing in the background.

E2M4 seems like a good space to just breathe. It's probably got the quietest track.

Loudest track is definitely TNT MAP02.

Strange, the one that always blew my eardrums was TNT Map30, Into the Beast's Belly. Seems like every track on that tune is as loud as it possibly can be in MUS format without getting muted.

About half the MIDIs in TNT are much, much louder than they need to be. Excellent tunes of course, just bad sound leveling.

Phobos Lab (E1M5) is probably the quietest one.

Off the top of my head, E6M1's music in Heretic was quiet and serene for me.

Loudest midi I can remember is E1M9 The Graveyard. Those drums!

EDIT: How can I forget E2M3: River of Fire? 

Edited by Xyzzy01

I have never perceived that there is a song playing in Doom 2's MAP30. I can roughly remember the details of e1m5's song, e2m4's song, D_DOOM, but I literally had no idea what MAP30's song was like until I listened to it outside of the game. I can't even hear it at all under normal circumstances due to my hearing issues, unless I'm using headphones low sounds are hard for me.

On the other hand Into the Beast's Belly is definitely the loudest that comes to mind, heh.

ROFL! That's never happened on any of my computers I'm glad to say but holy shit, it's even more ear-rapey than the glitched Map02 MIDI!

4 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

ROFL! That's never happened on any of my computers I'm glad to say but holy shit, it's even more ear-rapey than the glitched Map02 MIDI!

Heh. It doesn't always happen, i think it depends on the midi soundfont or something.

I had the glitched map02 midi back in the day when playing on Doom95.exe... i kinda like it personally! It's more atmospheric.

48 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Thought i should make a little demonstration video for those who haven't experienced the glory of this before (wait for it to kick in...).

[earraping video]

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
That was real bad man......and I thought that in Human BBQ was annoying

All are equally quiet when the music volume is set to zero. Heh...

TNT really hates volume control. That stuff just blares into my ears forcing me to reduce the music volume.

I find E1M5, E1M8, and MAP30 to be the quietest. Also, a lot of Plutonia's music, since you can't hear it over Revenant screeches and Chaingunner fire.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

Thought i should make a little demonstration video for those who haven't experienced the glory of this before (wait for it to kick in...).

So good I've never experienced this, it'd probably scare me the first time by taking me by surprise. It'd also ruin the entire experience, even if this is just a video I constantly had the feeling the PC is going to BSOD nastily when the midi glitched lol.

Fuck, that is LOUD for MAP04 in TNT! Never happened to the times I've played it.

Wow, that TNT04 midi. I guess they called it "Death's Bells" because listening to it at high volume will literally kill you.

On 25.2.2018 at 1:05 AM, Doomkid said:

that was already so loud in the beginning, I wondered what would kick in... aargh 

Evilution soundtrack needs small patch, which should fix inconsistencies with some midi files and their sound. Some tracks in that iwad aren't compatible with some modern soundfonts and disortion like in map04 is terrible.

That's actually a great idea, MystHaruko. I'll make it in the next week or so, such a patch would be very useful.

an ideal tnt.wad patch would phase the map 08/27/30 midi out of existence, replacing it with the first half of tubular bells

(i am so incapable of telling the difference between good eq vs bad eq, appropriate volume vs inappropriate volume and i've written hours and hours of music, it's sort of a serious problem but i don't really care)