Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Want to try a few wads that gradually introduce weapons like doom 1

IIRC late E1 you got the rocket launcher, E2 plasma, E3 bfg?  Seems like most wads throw the whole lot at you by map 5.  I'm interested in going a whole megawad with such a feature but it's not exactly the kind of thing you can search idgames for, is it?

Edited by invictius

DTWID is a good recreation of old id style. switcheroom is literally mixing up the id levels to different episodes and remaking them in the style of the episode they are now in. the have doom versions and doom 2 versions. they might be what you are looking for.

Operation BIOWAR, Reverie, STRAIN, Moonblood... I'm guessing Perdition's Gate too but I don't remember. DTWID like Josh said. Anyway, those are more or less good examples, for Doom 2 btw.

If for Doom 1 wads, then 2002 A Doom Odyssey is a good one. Older megawads in Doom 2 have this progression too.

I actually came here to say that I've been playing through Dark Encounters, which I seem to recall having such a feature, though perhaps not quite as gradually (I'm on map 18 now, I believe). It also has the bonus of being an awesome wad.

I staged the new weapons release pretty carefully and sparse throughout "30-short-maps" long Echelon, in particular holding off on double-barrel and BFG. Allowed for some unusual combat scenarios I found it worthwhile to map for, like facing Doom 2 beasties with Doom 1 arsenal.

Here's a quick weapon release chart I drew up to aid planning Echelon (labelled "par" at the time). Holding back chainsaw can help you make mellee fights more or less challenging depending on the access to a berserk, etc. The final result was quite different, as playtesting made its mark, but I find these type of things helpful when planning out chronological map sets. When you make backpack available will of course also majorly affect the balance of player ammo capacity.

54hM1jN.png