Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Doom 1 style "kill boss to end level" how is it done in doom 2?

And have any wads done it?  I think a lot of times I've given up on completing a map because perhaps I was meant to not play as if I'm doing a speedrun.

It's not possible in vanilla; you need at a minimum MAPINFO capability if not full-fledged scripting.

Another possibility would be to reuse the Icon of Sin's brain death codepointer for a boss monster through dehacked, though that only works right for a single boss -- no E1M8 scenario where you have to kill two barons to proceed.

You can also use the "Commander Keen" death codepointer, which works if there are multiple bosses of the same type, and opens a door instead of immediately exiting the level. Since that door can be just before an exit, it's practically the same thing as finishing the level. In addition, this also makes it necessary for you to be alive, whereas the boss death exit in Doom 2 allows victory even if dead (this can be rationalized because Doom 2 was probably going to be the last Doom).

14 minutes ago, printz said:

You can also use the "Commander Keen" death codepointer, which works if there are multiple bosses of the same type, and opens a door instead of immediately exiting the level. Since that door can be just before an exit, it's practically the same thing as finishing the level. In addition, this also makes it necessary for you to be alive, whereas the boss death exit in Doom 2 allows victory even if dead (this can be rationalized because Doom 2 was probably going to be the last Doom).

Can you recall any wads that have used the commander keen death copointer?