Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scorpinax

Chokehold (21 maps) Need testers.. UPDATED

Hello Doomworld! This is my first time posting a mapset of any sort, and it just so happens to be a project i've been working on for 3-4 years, off and on, called Chokehold. The mapset uses quite a few custom monsters and textures: as I made these maps I improved VASTLY, which can be seen as level quality increases dramatically around map 11. However, as this is only an alpha, I plan to go back and add more detail to some maps, and recreate some altogether. I already did this with map 1.

I have assembled the majority of the proper credits within the zip file.

I consider myself to be pretty good at DOOM, and these maps range from medium difficulty to sometimes extremely difficult. I tried my best to use as few traps as possible and make as few 'cheap' encounters as i could.

Tested in : GZDOOM

Difficulty: Ranges from Medium to Extremely Challenging
You need to use freelook, crouch and jump. This mapset includes many custom monsters, textures, props. It also includes a single custom weapon.

Spoiler

SCREENIESkoffinz3.png.17e0e0edf24838fb418389d05d5ba831.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180206_083703.png.29912f4afb10c54c3304ab33ab49dfa6.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180221_042046.png.5df63317c78995e297fd0de045c9094d.pngvicious2.png.79ffd5427d77027e9fb236350b5c4e25.png
Screenshot_Doom_20190117_201015.png.2570359d6d521da46003de1b5fa9ad2c.png
Screenshot_Doom_20190205_044553.png.495e3bf81d36cd674cc3d2cff309a4a9.png
Screenshot_Doom_20190205_045027.png.07a6f14aff0bbd1e97640a5af601a029.png
Screenshot_Doom_20190205_044617.png.2eef30f00d0f265c2ae8731589bb9028.png

Update: 2/5/19: New version updated. Includes a lot of fixes in previous maps, plus 5 new maps. (17,18,18,20,21).

Big thanks to everyone who plays and gives feedback!

Download:

Edited by Scorpinax : Update: 5 new maps

It's 64mb unzipped (probably because of ogg/mp3 music)
The maps design is kinda unusual, and most located in some underground abstract places.

Also I should say the other people's feedback can help you a lot more.

I don't know if this will help you or not.I'm not great at spotting mistakes, but I can say I that some of this was fun.The maps were unusual as Riderr3 said, and I found them a bit oddly shaped.I did like a lot of the wall textures and floors, but there wasn't enough detail.One thing I really liked was the flying skulls.The other monsters were pretty good, but there seemed to be too many in some areas.The most fun was was exploring the odd layout of the maps.Please note that I am not a mapper, but I can say I did like the challenge of it.Hope this helps some, but there are others who can give you much better feedback.Good luck with this and future projects! :)

I appreciate that you spent the time to play it at all, so thank you for that first and foremost.

13 hours ago, grouchbag said:

I don't know if this will help you or not.I'm not great at spotting mistakes, but I can say I that some of this was fun.The maps were unusual as Riderr3 said, and I found them a bit oddly shaped.I did like a lot of the wall textures and floors, but there wasn't enough detail.

Out of curiosity, how many maps did you play? The earlier maps (1-10) suffer from lack of detail (1 not so much since i fixed it). I put an extravagant amount of time detailing maps 12+, if you played these what did you think?

14 hours ago, riderr3 said:

It's 64mb unzipped (probably because of ogg/mp3 music)
The maps design is kinda unusual, and most located in some underground abstract places.

Also I should say the other people's feedback can help you a lot more.

Sorry for the large filesize. I'm going to slim it down a bit by trimming unnecessary duplicate files. I guess the reason the designs of the maps are odd is because of the way I map, bit by bit with no real goal in mind to start out (more often than not). Were there any areas you thought were cheap in their encounters, or unfair? 

@Scorpinax Sorry to say I only got thru about 5 maps.Had to get some sleep.I'll play the rest later today & let you know.Later! :D

12 hours ago, Scorpinax said:

I guess the reason the designs of the maps are odd is because of the way I map, bit by bit with no real goal in mind to start out (more often than not). Were there any areas you thought were cheap in their encounters, or unfair? 

As an long-time mapper I can give some tips. Add windows, balconies, interconnections to spice up map design. Player must see what he is striving for. As example red key not just hidden in closet, but are visible through windows/cages, and player must find another way to reach it.

Also hide monsters between crates, behind corners/columns and in unexpectable places (not just in front of player's face). Roaming monsters is always interesting, so map layouts can be made to help enemies to do that. It is better to put flying monsters somewhere behind the cliffs or behind sector objects, so they are can fly over and create nice effect.

Edited by riderr3

Never have played with crouching/jumping, but the sentiment of oddly-shaped maps intrigues me, so I may give this a shit when I finish playing Startdate 20X6.

Again, riderr3 is right.But I did a quick runthru on the rest of the maps and found them colorful intriguing and challenging.Most of all, they are a lot of fun to play.I like this mapset very nuch and will play it again when I have time.Keep up the good work.Thanks too! :D

16 hours ago, riderr3 said:

-helpful tips-

Thank you for all the suggestions. I definitely do know that a lot of these maps still need some polish, but now i know just what needs to be changed. I'll definitely be adding more windows and other various bits of detail. 

5 hours ago, grouchbag said:

Again, riderr3 is right.But I did a quick runthru on the rest of the maps and found them colorful intriguing and challenging.Most of all, they are a lot of fun to play.I like this mapset very nuch and will play it again when I have time.Keep up the good work.Thanks too! :D

Thank you! I'm glad, this just reinforces that i've only been getting better at mapping. Now to make the previous maps a little less of a struggle to play through. 

So after a very crazy year where a huge chunk of it was eaten up  by hiatus and work, I can finally, OFFICIALLY bump this topic, as a new version of Chokehold is out. 

This new update includes 5 new maps, and a ton of updates and additional detail on some of the old levels. 
If anyone would like to test these maps I'd greatly appreciate it.

The level of detail jumps quite a bit from map 12 and onward. Maps 17-21 i'm very proud of. Please give those a test if you don't intend to play all the way to them from map 1!

Screenshot_Doom_20190205_044541.png