• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

sewers.wad 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q78hxgx5zxbncjr/bonsewersv5_5.wad?dl=1

length: 45 minutes - 1 hour

difficulty: moderately easy until you reach the outside,  then there's a bit of a spike in difficulty

notes: dmwp 2017 submission, exploration heavily encouraged

boxes all the way down

bon_boxes_v5.zip 

bon_boxes_v7.zip

length: 1-1.5 hours

difficulty: moderately hard throughout

notes: texture extravaganza project submission (recently retracted though), made using an extremely limited randomly selected texture set. exploration encouraged but not as needed. minor visual bugs in zdoom ports.

no jumping/crouching in either

tight ammo in both so make every shot count

both -complevel 9

pr/glboom+ preferred

play game yes

Edited by bonnie

@bonnie: I know xvertigox played Sewers, so I wanted to play Boxes All the Way Down, but I'm going to have to put it on hold. I opened it up and saw like 1300 enemies. And you said 60-90 minutes and that it was hard. I will at least try it, but I may not be able to block out the time until Thursday.

@NaturalTvventy: Monster count looks like a half hour affair or so. I'll give this a shot in 18 hours or so (tomorrow late morning).

@Deadwing: I should be able to get at this tonight.

@94's the best style: This looks familiar. I may have played this before. I'll take a look tonight yet or tomorrow morning.

23 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@bonnie: I know xvertigox played Sewers, so I wanted to play Boxes All the Way Down, but I'm going to have to put it on hold. I opened it up and saw like 1300 enemies. And you said 60-90 minutes and that it was hard. I will at least try it, but I may not be able to block out the time until Thursday.

the monster count is misleading!!!! you'll understand when you play ;~;

the 60-90 minutes is also with saving and dying involved so if you're super good you'll beat it even faster (i almost maxed it once in like 55 minutes goin super slow)

also also it's "hard" relative to sewers.wad, which isn't very hard for most of it, thus it's only moderately hard, for the most part

also also also i would still like to see you play sewers, because i would super duper like as much feedback on all my maps as possible (though i absolutely understand if you put that on hold for a million years though)

@Deadwing

Forum Topic

Few things: my commentary is rather quiet in the video - sorry about that. Still figuring out the best way to go about this. Here's what I wrote in the video description:

It's a really good map. Nice texturing even without too much detail. I especially enjoyed the outdoor and natural areas. The combat was designed so that it was challenging but never overwhelming in difficulty or number. I really enjoyed the layout with numerous paths to the same places. The only thing I did not care for was a couple teleporters that seemed a bit random as far as where they took me.

Next, it clearly is for Boom, but I played in GZDoom just because I brain lapsed. 

Lastly, I got boneheadedly confused from about 24:00 - 28:40. Skip if you want.

That was amazing, HAK3180!

Thanks for the playthrough! I'm glad you've liked, you've played well and carefully and the level behaved well haha well, except for that pit after the cyberdemon's fight lol I should've fixed that before releasing the final version, but I'm still learning to how to make things more clear for the player, while retaining some non-linearity and exploration elements. I'm also glad the experience worked well on HMP

@94's the best style

Forum Topic

(I think I've figured out good volume settings, so hopefully this will be my last video with almost inaudible commentary.)

There are some good ideas and decent fights in here, but overall the map is all over the place. It's pretty confusing, but not in a good puzzle way. It's rarely clear where you are supposed to be heading/what your objective is. The different areas do not really complement each other. Most of them are not designed all that badly, but they just don't come together to make one cohesive map. They seem to be simply separate spaces connected by doors. I also struggled mightily because I rarely had enough ammo.

There were some nice touches here and there though, like some of the switch actions, a few design details, being able to come back into the start room from way later in the map through another route. The bottom line is I would have enjoyed this much more with way more ammo and some more direction. 

@Myst.Haruko

View the forum topic

Download the .wad

The map certainly has some n00bisms, but it's not broken at all except for one inescapable pit (that actually becomes not a pit at all later via switch. A simple fix there could be to have the blue key lower instead of raise). It's very simple and pretty straightforward. The combat is pretty easy throughout with some decent fights - one with teleporting monsters (could use some more) in the slime, one at the switch that opens monsters from both sides, and the cacodemons in the cave area was decent. The look of the map is cohesive with some nice details, but it is also simplistic and a little bit boxy in some places. Still, I'd say it's above average for a first attempt (granted it has been modified since very first launch, I believe)

I'm sure most of the criticisms in this map are not anything the creator doesn't already know at this point, so thanks for sharing.

@NaturalTvventy

View the forum topic

Solid map of some length. The only thing I wanted to add to the video commentary is that the custom weapons and monsters didn't really do much for me. They were nice touches and added a little bit, but personally, I'm just not as interested in that kind of thing, unfortunately. Perhaps in a wad of many maps I would get more used to the arsenal and bestiary and come to appreciate it more.

Edited by HAK3180

In the nick of time! I almost gave this a go yesterday, but the biggest chunk of uninterrupted time I could find was right around an hour. Didn't want to risk it. I'll get at it this afternoon, so look for a video tonight.

And my time references are to UTC-5:00, by the way.

Hi, try this. I changed the 1st map to a new map!

It's quite different from the previous version's opener.

1 minute ago, Jaska said:

Hi, try this. I changed the 1st map to a new map!

It's quite different from the previous version's opener.

I didn't know this got released! D:

1 minute ago, Deadwing said:

I didn't know this got released! D:

It's not released yet. Another update.. A new map here, the 1st. I thought the next update would be like the last release but I was wrong.

There are 2 more finished maps (not in this release) and progress on 4 maps but its  sloooooow. This map came together quite rapidly.

@bonnie

Very unfortunately, I have changed recording software and I thought I had a good setting, but apparently not. :( The playthrough went fine, but the video has some lag. Hopefully it doesn't entirely ruin the video.

Also, I got confused at the end, so I cheated. I just couldn't find the way to the top of the huge pillar thing and the video is already plenty long. I took a very brief look in Doom Builder, but I'm still not sure what to do.

Nice use of the few textures used. Pretty fun gameplay throughout. A few frustrating flow situations, but not as many as I think there are during the playthrough. If you've got the time, give this a go. 

View the forum topic.

@HAK3180 Boy, 9 minutes in and this video is already working wonders!! If I hadn't seen this, I never would have realized that a ton of supplies and decoration got accidentally marked as UV only (so basically you got punished for playing on HMP)!! I also noticed that I forgot to include the updated dehacked patch that includes more message changes. Thank you already!!

I'll go through the rest of the video to see what else needs fixing and then update again. Thank you!!!

edit 1: i also don't know why you couldn't hit the secret switch 12 minutes in, you should be able to reach it from that spot ;~;

nevermind you hit it eventually... and yes, it almost gave you a megasphere. you were pretty gosh diddly darn close to one ;~;

edit 2: wow, you missed 3 secret plasma rifles!! that's a new record :D

edit 3: i can't believe i didn't think that would happen with the bfg there, you are a frickin explorer friend

im sad that you missed the box falling down in front of it though ;~;

Edited by bonnie

Welp. I finished watching the video, and can safely say that:

• Playing on HMP screwed ya out of a ton of ammo and health (and decoration!! it looked even more boring than normal) in the e2m2 section, but it was a noble sacrifice. The ammo is supposed to be tight, but not that tight.
  • Somehow, someway, the keys that surround the switch pillar at the end clipped incorrectly and... got stuck on top of the pillar?? This apparently didn't happen to everyone, since other people have claimed to have played and completed the level, meaning you just got frickin unlucky. I'll move the keys.
  • Blood sewers suck. Everyone tells me this, and every time they do, I drastically shorten that section. You might have noticed on the automap that there was a lot more sewer to be seen, but it's mostly blocked off. I'll have to do something extra drastic with that area this time.
  • Progression needs to be more obvious, another complaint I've received many times before and something I've also worked on significantly every time. I'll just make some more arrows or something.
  • You managed to archvile-jump your way out of bounds, but didn't archvile jump to get the plasma rifle in that yellow key room with the crates, behind the red key door.

Thank you best friend. Your sacrifice will not be in vain. I'll edit this post with an updated link short(ish)ly

updated link based on mr. hak's horrible experience: bon_boxes_v7.zip

Edited by bonnie

@bonnie

Ugh, the lag is so frustrating. I did at least three test videos. Must not have saved the setting...

I actually kinda liked the blood sewer - just thought it was a little long is all. 

Ah, yes, forgot about the arch-vile jump. I was very tempted to idclip back through and just carry on...with the BFG. But I did the right thing.

I'm glad I'm not an idiot who didn't notice something obvious at the end.

@Jaska

View the forum topic.

I played the whole set several months back, and it's fantastic. I ranked this map as my fourth favorite, so there's plenty of other stellar stuff in here. Bottom line: if you have even the slightest appreciation for awesome visual design or exploration heavy Dooming, you need to play Lost Civilization. 

Edited by HAK3180

Now that Doomworld Mega Project 2017 has been relaesed a while ago, and my map has only ever been mentioned in the context of its DECORATE crashing source ports of people who didn't even play it, I thought it would be raesonable to request a playthrough.

GJUNX is the MAP42 of Doomworld Mega Project 2017. It uses ZDoom faetures and takes from 20 to 25 minutes to finish. It exclusively custom monsters but almost no custom sprites. Has straightforward progression and mild difficulty.

@DooM_RO

Unfortunately, this video has lag throughout. The good news is I now know that the issue is GlBoom (or some combination of recording software + my computer + GlBoom), so I just will use Pr instead henceforth when wads call for Boom.

Doomworld download page

The map is huge. I checked in Doom Builder and the rectangle that would fit the whole map is about 14,000 x 17,000. There are parts with lots of exploration, the beginning in particular. As such there is lots of potential to get lost. I suggest using the automap. That being said, though, the flow is pretty good. Your objectives are usually pretty clear - "I need to get out there and open some key doors." "I need the blue key first evidently." "I need to be able to get across that chasm for the red key." There are a few occasions where you aren't sure what a switch does, but if you keep your goals in mind and where you are within the map, you can usually guess correctly. 

Visually, it's pretty good. There's nice detailing throughout, but there are a few bland sections and some little errors (alignments, doors not unpegged).

The combat varies. There are definitely some good encounters, but some are just a bit tedious. Ammo can be a little tight, and in retrospect I probably would have quit if not for finding the secret that contained both plasma gun and BFG 9000. I played on Hurt Me Plenty and rather enjoyed the difficulty level.

Speaking of secrets, there are 18, and I found 11, I think. They are not all super easy, but many of them taunt you in one way or another.

Overall, if you like a long, nonlinear, not too difficult techbase, give this a go.

@RaphaelMode

Idgames download page

View the forum topic

Lots of custom monsters is not really my thing, though I did find most of them interesting. Unfortunately, I was rather annoyed by the ghost enemy and the final boss.

The map itself is decent enough - a bit simple, but it's a nice concept with lots of customization and interesting gameplay.