Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

When I replayed through my map set after fixing errors and adjusting things, it took me a little over 2 hours on Ultra Violence to play through the maps. I also found I liked some of my own maps and despised some, as listed below:

Maps I like: E1M1, E1M5, E2M1, E2M2, E2M4, E2M7, E3M1, E3M2

OK maps: E1M2, E1M3, E1M4, E1M7, E1M8, E2M5, E2M6, E2M8

Maps I hate: E1M6, E2M3, E3M3, E3M4 (Parts of E3M4 suck, rest is OK. The end of E3M4 was made by Jive, so it was pretty good looking)

Don't use my opinions for your judgement as a first time player to the map set, that's up to you to decide. However, I strongly recommend using chrismus.wad when you get to the episode 3 maps to add to the tension.

Edited by Glaice

14 hours ago, Glaice said:

I strongly recommend using chrismus.wad when you get to the episode 3 maps to add to the tension.

Is it tracks for every map? I guess I assumed it was just in case someone wanted the music but that it was also loaded into the main wad. I'll load both henceforth.

@The Mysterious Moustachio

idgames download page

Despite being vanilla compatible, it's not necessarily what you think of when you hear "vanilla." It uses non-iwad resources, including music by Dial-Up for Murder, and creates a sense of its own thing. The flow of the first level is nice. It's short, sweet, and linear, but you can always see areas that you will go later or already have been, so it feels more open than it is. Combat is nicely done for an opener. It's not just mindless imp slaying but does have some tougher encounters. Personally I thought one of the secrets was questionable and one other area where you can clear about five lost souls behind bars was a bit tedious. But other than that, it's fun and well done.

Bottom line: Solid start to a megawad that even non vanilla people should enjoy 

@Glaice

E1M2 is also very Doomy. It has a secret key door that I did not find, lots of hallways, a little tech maze, and star textures. Some of the unpolished details, though I did not think intentional, actually do remind one of Doom, which did have some inconsistencies and little errors. The combat is all easy. Those who play Doom for challenging encounters won't like this (nor would they like the original anymore), but it is pretty good at what it is: basically another mid 90s Doom wad.

Bottom line: Just because you have The Ultimate Doom completely memorized doesn't mean you can't still enjoy old school Doom.

LOL there was no secret key door, are you speaking about the yellow key? That was for the door for the room that had the room with the see-through barriers with the sergeants outside that could pepper you on both sides. Plus that last secret was super obvious, it was the classic "similar texture but different color" tactic which was right around the corner from the start of the map.

I wish I was less lazy on that curvy section right after the red door after looking at it in the map editor, I could have done better with small rooms like the proceeding room and such.

Things are only going to slowly get tougher from here.

Edited by Glaice

@Glaice: Yes, I realized that when I played again. I got the yellow before I tried the door, which was unmarked, so I never knew I used it. I'll still plan on pistol starts. If it gets too hard, I can switch difficulties. I do most of these videos on Hurt Me Plenty, after all.

Commentary volume's a little quiet. I don't record much in Crispy...

idgames download page

Map 02 stays quite fun while ramping up the difficulty considerably. There are some well thought encounters here that require a bit of strategy, even if they aren't too hard. The scenery is enjoyable, most of the level taking place inside something of a tech base. But it doesn't have that somewhat cramped feeling that you usually get from tech bases. Nor does it have the empty TNT feeling. This mapper uses textures well and even finds ways to incorporate the original textures in a fresh manner. 

Bottom line: So far this wad is nice to look at, fun to play, and has its own identity.

@YukiTakashi

Download the .wad

This is a fun Doom 1 map. It's nice to look at and has a nice flow, starting linear inside and moving outside and back inside with much more exploration. Still, the backtracking is minimized with the different areas connecting to one another. The combat is perhaps a wee bit dull. It's Doom 1 after all and most of the spaces are pretty open, so about all you can do is add more sergeants. That being said, it was not boring or tedious at all except one baron encounter. It was pretty easy, but still decently fun.

There were a few somewhat significant issues. One sector is damaging and should not be. I also got softlocked twice and fell into an inescapable death pit once. This pit did not really mark itself as a "don't go down there" pit. 

Bottom line: Worth your time. Plays easy but pretty fun and looks nice.

@Glaice

At about 1:40 I must have missed the message that said I need a red key…

Once again a few nitpicks on the visual details – alignments, cutoff lift textures, etc. There are also some odd secrets toward the end: lots of goodies but no more map to use them. I don't know if I missed a secret exit or not, so that could possibly explain it. Overall it's pretty easy with one pretty good ambush. 

Bottom line: Once again, the name of the wad should tell you enough: Doom Revisited.

idgames download page

Very nice. The map looks good with a nice mix of natural canyon areas and techbase stuff. Gameplay was terrific with some damaging floors, lots of different heights, ledge/catwalk-ish situations, and an overall solid sense of location with different areas of the map always being visible, yet each one distinct enough. Combat was well done and combined with the flow, this map could probably be played a lot of different ways, all being very fun.

Bottom line: This is a well put together map with great combat.

The secrets you missed I commented on in the video plus my thoughts as well. There are no secret levels in Doom Revisited either.

I found a wad that you might be interested in trying out (I've been playing it for a while now). It is designed by Maximiliano Cislaghi.

Chulonia Proyect: http://www.mediafire.com/file/exgcy3emwr44y5k/ChuloniaProyect.zip

Chulonia Proyect forum: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/98067-chulonia-proyect-mega-wad-for-hardcore-players/

Edited by mArt1And00m3r11339

@mArt1And00m3r11339, my general policy is only to play maps requested by the actual mapper.

@NeedHealth

About 1:09 and 3:01 I go near the switch that I need later at about 3:30. But since I never see/flip it and because I can hear the lift "trying" to operate, I assume that there's some sort of glitch or I have some setting wrong or something. But since I didn't cheat until I had cleared everything there anyway, I don't feel bad about keeping this video. So you can skip 3:10 - 4:50 if you want.

Doomworld download page

Short and sweet. Nice semihectic beginning with different monsters of different threat level, some that kinda sneak up on you because of the cratemazeishness. The look is a little simplistic because it's very orthogonal, but when you only get so many textures and a time limit, this is what happens. It doesn't look bad; it's just lacking in detail. The fights inside the edifices are a little underwhelming, but they're a small part of the experience. And I did almost get splayed by a hell knight. In general, I've come to appreciate NeedHealth's style. It seems very well rounded.

Bottom line: Basically just a couple cool fights in a maneuver-dependent setting

@Glaice

I thought this was the weakest map yet. The visuals, although somewhat reminiscent of actual Command Control, seemed a bit generic; nothing really stood out - like the map lacked an identity. It was also rather easy with two traps in particular that are easily (even naturally) trivialized. Only one pretty basic secret also contributed to this map feeling hastily assembled.

Bottom line: We stay pretty true to OG Doom, but this one just didn't do much for me.

idgames download page

I like this. It has a nice balance of inside the tech base and some outdoor natural areas. The inside area felt like it had quite a bit to explore, but the areas were mostly interconnected. The combat keeps you on your toes at a difficulty level I really enjoy. I sucked at secrets in this map, but even so I felt there were perhaps too many rockets.

Bottom line: Another good one. This wad so far is a great bridge between vanilla and some of the more contemporary expectations.

@Glaice

Same old same old here. It feels like Doom, but not in a “this is exactly like E1M5” way. This particular map is actually fairly open in many places, which is not always conducive to challenging combat with the Doom 1 bestiary, but it still managed to be pretty interesting, even while being easy, especially the high-density monster areas near the end. There, were, however, a couple situations that were a bit too trivial, like the cacodemon trap and the final “boss.” I also don’t particularly care for some of the uses of repeatable switch doors, but overall here, nothing that’s out of character for Doom. Nice array of secrets, ranging from pretty obvious to probably needing some luck to find.

Bottom line: Yep, still Doom.

I have a 2 map set i made in 2013. I've recently started mapping again and I'm looking for some feedback.

There are a number of saves and a handful of deaths, one of which was quite a bit after a save. If you skip from 19:23 to 26:23, you won't miss anything except a long, wasted death run.

idgames download page

Interesting concept well executed. There are basically a few different levels and a few buildings that present almost as maps within the map. The layout reminds me a bit of Mt. Erebus. You don’t start with sufficient ammo to handle all the monsters in front of you, so you have to do some exploring to find more weapons/ammo. But doing that is not safe, as there are revenants, arachnotrons, and damaging floors to keep you from getting too comfortable. There was only one epic fight, but the combat was always interesting, sometimes making you think about the best strategy. Visually, this map is nice except that the natural canyon theme is a bit homogenous, and I think the map ends up suffering just a little bit from lack of landmarks/possibility of not really knowing/remembering where you are relative to stuff you’ve seen.

Bottom line: This map feels like a quest, which is cool. I enjoyed the challenge and the exploration.

@Yugiboy85

idgames download page

The title tells you everything you need to know about the visuals. Well, not quite. It's a nice looking, very well designed map with solid and somewhat difficult combat throughout. I really liked how the map kept opening itself up and leading you back to places you had already been. Yet even with that and the pervasive red and wood theme, it was not easy to get lost. Progression was pretty clear. The map is not going to take your breath away visually, but it gets the job done and has enough detail to get you in the zone. The combat was pretty good. Never really trivial or unfair. There were a couple extra challenging spots (one of which in which I fared exceptionally poorly...) to round this thing out nicely as a medium to medium-high skill map. I did not care too much for the ending fight because it basically just throws enemies at you in large numbers. It's not the hardest fight, but it's the most slaughter-ish, so that explains that, since I don't usually prefer that style.

Bottom line: Nothing groundbreaking here, but it's a decent length fun map that will throw some challenge at you.

@JBerg

Doomworld download page

Kind of interesting looking with some different, nonstandard textures. However, the texturing is somewhat monotonous. No, it’s not startan, but it still gets a little boring when you have so many flat walls in one texture. Most of the geometry and progression is pretty basic. There are some backtracks, but usually it involves killing more monsters on your way back. Some of the encounters are a bit boring, like a single baron trap that basically begs you not to waste your time killing it and just carry on. But overall, the combat was easy, not always simplistic.

Bottom line: Honestly, most of the appeal here is in the break from standard Doom texturing, if that’s something you’re looking for.

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

@JBerg

Doomworld download page

Kind of interesting looking with some different, nonstandard textures. However, the texturing is somewhat monotonous. No, it’s not startan, but it still gets a little boring when you have so many flat walls in one texture. Most of the geometry and progression is pretty basic. There are some backtracks, but usually it involves killing more monsters on your way back. Some of the encounters are a bit boring, like a single baron trap that basically begs you not to waste your time killing it and just carry on. But overall, the combat was easy, not always simplistic.

Bottom line: Honestly, most of the appeal here is in the break from standard Doom texturing, if that’s something you’re looking for.

thanks for the feedback!

@Glaice

As much as I admire Glaice and respect his work and really like a lot of his stuff, this is not good. Certainly don’t think of this as a paradigm of what he’s capable of; it was many years ago, after all. This is really bland visually and the combat is even worse. From the very beginning, the encounters don’t make sense and are not challenging. The design is weak – too many narrow hallways and a really bad case of backtracking.

Bottom line: This map seems like it was put together by a rather inexperienced mapper.

Edited by HAK3180 : typo

Pls play myfirst.wad

//edit: Probably would be best if you record it blindly.

4 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

As much as I admire Glaice and respect his work and really like a lot of his stuff, this is not good. Certainly don’t think of this as a paradigm of what he’s capable of; it was many years ago, after all. This is really bland visually and the combat is even worse. From the very beginning, the encounters don’t make sense and are not challenging. The design is weak – too many narrow hallways and a really bad case of backtracking

Now you know why I hate this map in this early mapset of mine, it's crap. I probably came straight from finishing E1M5 and probably didn't have as much energy to design in my mind at that point in time. The other maps I listed in my "hate" listed are nowhere near as bad as E1M6 was.

If you're up for playing mods, I recently updated my OPWeapons:

The weapons are deliberately way overpowered, so combine them with a slaughter map of your choice and one of these, which I just updated today:

3 hours ago, darkhog said:

Probably would be best if you record it blindly.

He always records blindly, as seen by my mapset he is going through.