Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

@sincity2100

Doomworld download page

The main design of this map is a clear allusion to TNT Map 03 Power Control. This map even has a similar name, obviously. The ending room, however, is a clear nod to Map 13 Nukage Processing. So I think it’s safe to say TNT was a major influence. Visuals are great again. Nice details throughout. There are some huge open areas a la TNT, but I don’t think the combat is all that bad. It’s a bit easy in most places, but it’s not like it’s a chore. However, the symmetry issue returns here. The map becomes predictable when both the architecture and the monster placement have consistent symmetry. The latter is especially unfitting of a Doom map, in my opinion.

Bottom line: Very nice looking map with solid flow and somewhat less stellar combat

Hi there,

It would be cool to see your thoughts on my wad 'Demonic Citadel' which can be found here: https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/addons/demonic-citadel-v2

Length is probably around just under 2 hours for all 9 levels (the maps typically take about 10-15 minutes each apart from levels 01 and 09 which are a bit shorter and longer respectively).  The difficulty is probably a bit easier than most of the other wads around here, although the last couple of levels should certainly be a bit of a challenge.

Hope you have fun, good luck!

@dybbuk

Download the .pk3

This is a gimmick map that unfortunately misses the mark for me. Some nice custom material, but the visuals were too simple for this to be an aesthetic masterpiece, and the combat was a bit simplistic: a six key hub situation with six gimmicky fights. Only two of them were really interesting at all, and at least half were not a challenge at all. A map like this really needs to shine in visual appeal or in gameplay, preferably both, but this one is pretty much mediocre at best in both regards.

Bottom line: A gimmick map that won't actively annoy you but will leave you feeling unfulfilled.

@Skunkbear

Doomworld forum topic

This is the opener in a 9-map wad. The main negative is just that there's not a lot of visual stuff going on. The majority of the level is gray; it needs a bit of a makeover. But the level flow is fine. It's fairly linear, but it's not just room after room. You do get a sense of what you're striving for. Combat is somewhat amateurish with some simple traps, large spaces, and high density of weak monsters. But we'll have to see if that's just the fact that it's Map 01. It felt more easy than n00bishly trivial. Skunkbear appears to be new to the forum, but as for mapping experience, it's hard to say. This could be really good for a beginner, it could be average for someone who's been mapping for several months, or it could be below average for a seasoned mapper. And it's Map 01. So I'm interested to see the rest of the maps.

Bottom line: Nothing too special, but this opener does the job of making you want to see more.

I will never tire of watching/hearing about people playing Memento Mori 2, Map15, should you wish to take that on  (SteveD's reaction remains a fond memory for me).  It's biggish and toughish for the release window, but nothing a modern player should find overwhelming.  It's vanilla, obs, so any port capable of handling strict Doom 2 compat should work.

@Glaice

This wad is not a gold mine; this is a 15-year-old effort to revisit a 25-year-old game. So this is about the quality you get. The visuals are a little bit crude, though again, the Shores of Hell theme is captured decently. There was one nice detail where a marine appeared to have gotten blasted through a wall. Also, the area where you kinda platform through a slime area was cool, but there wasn’t really a suitable fight for it. Most of the combat was just incidental monsters in front of you. The very first trap was decent because it was all hitscanners, but the one near the one key just doesn’t do it; it’s a clear camping situation. The exit was also very sudden. The highlight here was the flow of the map. You were never lost at all, but you didn’t necessarily know what was going to happen next or where you were going to go next. For some reason I felt it worked, rather than being a cohesion fail.

Bottom line: Kind of fun progress, but fairly weak encounters and not the best looking  

@Capellan

idgames download page

Very cool conceptual design in this map. Some of the map was okay-good, but a select few parts were very good, like the hectic start that at first might feel campable, but then there are imps and a cacodemon coming from the other direction. The outdoor area was pretty cool with seemingly trivial arachnotrons, but then you have to deal with hitscanners on ledges. The large mancubus area feels easier than it actually turns out to be. And the arch-vile use in this map was really good. You kinda feel they’re unfairly placed, only to realize that there is a way to survive – well done. The only thing I did not care for was the cacodemon swarm. Perhaps their rate of appearance is higher enough on Ultra-Violence to make life more miserable, but as it was, it felt grindy. I really liked how the map kinda backtracks but not really, guiding you back to previously visited areas, often with different routes, such as the plasma gun drop. Visually, no high praise but certainly no complaints either: a good amount of detail with distinct areas and a nice use of geometry.

Bottom line: Anyone who likes Doom should find this at least somewhat enjoyable.

Thanks for the video.  Man, that map's 21 years old now.

Edit: probably, maybe 22.  I can't remember exactly how far ahead of release date I was done with it, but MM2 came out end of July 1996.

Edited by Capellan

@The Mysterious Moustachio

idgames download page

This map has a really nice looking cave area and overall a nice design and flow. It’s reminiscent of the earlier Mars maps with some indoor action and some outdoor action, which I think is always done well in this wad. Combat is very nice here for the most part. The one fight that was a bit of a dud was when you first go outside because there are just so many camp points.

Bottom line: Nice concept with good visuals and solid fights.

Deep Sea: Doom 2, all original textures, play through GZ Doom

Difficulty Level: Play on UV - Significant challenge

Download; http://www.mediafire.com/file/g3de7aj43774379/Deep+Sea+wad.pk3

@Roofi

I apologize for the video quality. The audio and video get progressively out of sync, noticeably so just several minutes in. Crispy videos are huge, so that could be the problem; I don't think I have done another one in Crispy that's this long. I also may have forgotten to switch to airplane mode. I'm no software expert at all - just a guy who wants to record Doom...

idgames download page

This is not my best video… Unfortunately, I had a tough time following the progression of this map, I think for a few reasons: I wasn’t familiar with the custom textures (perhaps having gone through 6 levels already, some presumably shorter and less intricate, would have made it better), I just kinda sucked, and a number of the switches’ effects were not very obvious. In a map like this, you’ve really got to pay attention or you can have no clue where to go next, but even when I wasn’t trying to progress, I still had a hard time finding areas I had previously been. All that being said, the map is very well designed. It’s rather open, though not extremely large. Right from the beginning, you can explore much of the map. It has a nice use of rooms, tunnels, 3d bridges, lifts, etc. I thought the incidental enemy placement was very good. Challenging combat was there without the impression of orchestrated fights. I was not a big fan of the final fight, though. There were three or four switches to bring in hordes of monsters, including arch-viles, but you were not locked in at all, so you still had the entire level to run around and hide in, which I did, and that made it less interesting and more grindy. I suppose I could have put my big boy pants on and dealt with the situation like a true doom guy, but that’s just not happening with my skill level, with multiple arch-viles, with many pain elementals, and with an obvious out. So I guess I’d rather see the last fight(s) shrink down a bit and lock me in somewhere.

Bottom line: If you can follow the flow and never find yourself wondering where you need to go, this will probably be really, really fun.

@Pan, I took a look at the map and it appears jumping is a prominent required feature. My opening post says I refuse to jump. That's a bit of an overstatement, but I'm generally not going to make an exception unless I'm very interested in the map. This Deep Sea map looks rather simplistic and not interesting to me, unfortunately. Moreover, the jumping requirement does not really add anything. Why not just make those height differences 24 or less?

@sincity2100

Doomworld download page

Very cool design. Nice looking the majority of  the way through and a very fun flow. Combat was inconsistent with a great, somewhat hectic start. Most fights afterward were decent, and a few just left a little to be desired. This map is not an obvious nod to a particular TNT map, but you can still see the influence.

Bottom line: Very fun to look at and explore a bit. Combat is pretty good, could be better.

2 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@Pan, I took a look at the map and it appears jumping is a prominent required feature. My opening post says I refuse to jump. That's a bit of an overstatement, but I'm generally not going to make an exception unless I'm very interested in the map. This Deep Sea map looks rather simplistic and not interesting to me, unfortunately. Moreover, the jumping requirement does not really add anything. Why not just make those height differences 24 or less?

@sincity2100

Doomworld download page

Very cool design. Nice looking the majority of  the way through and a very fun flow. Combat was inconsistent with a great, somewhat hectic start. Most fights afterward were decent, and a few just left a little to be desired. This map is not an obvious nod to a particular TNT map, but you can still see the influence.

Bottom line: Very fun to look at and explore a bit. Combat is pretty good, could be better.

I recomend you to play it on the UV, this when it gets harder.

Here is another ZDoom wad for you to review.  I think you will like it.  Please, use ZDoom or GZDoom and make sure to turn "LIGHTS" on.  This will cause the light sources to look more realistic.  Serious Sam is one of my all time favorite FPS games.  So, I create my ZDoom and GZDoom wads to play like Serious Sam.  It is more fun to shoot monsters then to look for ammo or worry about your health.  This is the reason why there is a lot of ammo and power ups in my maps.  I think my ZDoom and GZDoom wads are a lot more fun to play because of this.  Let me know what you think about this in your review.  Thank you so much.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/hgczd_nw

@HAK3180, I'd like to see you give Doomed in Space a shot:

It does have custom weapons and enemies, but they're really just slight alterations to feel a bit more "future-ish". The gameplay remains pretty much in line with classic Doomy stuff. The only thing stopping it from running in PrBoom is the railgun but it works perfectly in GZDoom. Crouching and jumping are disabled entirely, I wanted it to have a distinctly oldschool feel. Most people beat it in about 1-2 hours so it should fall within your preferred time limits.

I know a bunch of people are throwing requests your way but if you do get around to it I'd certainly enjoy watching!

@Skunkbear

Doomworld forum topic

The sewer theme is pretty basic, not a lot of details or different textures. It has a solid design with different doors leading you out close to where you need to go next. However, the combat is not very interesting. It just made me want to skip almost everything. For example, there are cacodemons in the intitial area but the space is so wide and the floor is not damaging, so they’re no problem, except time, because all you have at that point is a shotgun. Map 01 was better in just about every way, in my opinion. Combat was more engaging, even if easier, and the design was less amateurish. This feels more like someone’s first effort at making a map.

Bottom line: Having seen Map 01, I’m fairly confident this will be the worst map in the wad.

@Hans

idgames download page

Flow is simple enough and works. Visuals are decent but a wee bit safe/tidy. Not a ton of details or variety. I do like the fireplace and the cemetery area though. I also appreciate the custom HUD and opening screen. Unfortunately, the combat was lacking for me in this map. The philosophy is that more ammo = more fun. The problem is that it still isn’t fun if you throw 20 hell nobles at me with a huge amount of space. That is going to be boring whether I have a BFG, plasma gun, rocket launcher, or chaingun. Killing thrity lost souls in a massive room with no other monsters and no pain elemental is not fun for me, and probably not challenging for anyone. This map featured zero humans. If you're going to have so much maneuverable space, you either need swarms of monsters, slaughter style, or you need at least a few hitscanners; otherwise the combat is going to be either trivial or grindy, the latter of which was seen here.

Bottom line: Combat just about ruins a decent looking map with a cool concept

And lastly, sir Hans, I would suggest you adjust your attitude considerably. You have claimed that 99% of Doom maps suck, that your style is “more fun” and “action packed,” that a very popular method for sharing wads is a stupid website, and that you had the top Doom site in the world in the 90s. Your Dexter map was fun, I’ll give you that. It even had an innovative concept. But nothing I have seen from you blows me away as clearly superior to most other wads. It is distasteful to be arrogant even when one actually does have the acclaim to back it up. I think you and your work would be better received if you were to tone down the smug aura you seem to present.  

Here is my map you can play:

download link

http://www.mediafire.com/file/viy52n2vx4vhgao/CAMARO.WAD

short description:

E3M4 for DOOM

map in Vanilla Doom format

Its a old restyled level from 1996

Oh hey, I want you to play one my map. It's in confinement project, and occupies map slot 12. Map is very short and won't take much time to finish it. It just randomly came into mind while I thought about my mapping contributions. 

I've many times gone days without a single request and now you people all just wanna horde in like revenants in a slaughter map!!?? I don't have time for this!!! I CAN'T HANDLE THE PRESSURE!!!

So yeah, you should all have a video by Friday. Seriously, though, did school just get out or something?

@Glaice

idgames download page

There are a couple spots where the map appeared to be broken. This map is rather linear, but still manages to make you backtrack plenty. The combat is all pretty simple; so is the conceptual and visual design. Too much moving straight forward for my liking, I guess. What’s interesting is that this is one of Glaice’s favorite maps in the set, and it’s definitely one of my least favorites. Different strokes for different folks.

Bottom line: A bit simplistic, not my favorite.

1 minute ago, HAK3180 said:

So yeah, you should all have a video by Friday. Seriously, though, did school just get out or something?

Sadly, I already finished school few years ago. Now, college and work steals my time :""")

Anyway, no pressure ;)

25 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

There are a couple spots where the map appeared to be broken. This map is rather linear, but still manages to make you backtrack plenty. The combat is all pretty simple; so is the conceptual and visual design. Too much moving straight forward for my liking, I guess. What’s interesting is that this is one of Glaice’s favorite maps in the set, and it’s definitely one of my least favorites. Different strokes for different folks.

I think the general motif (METAL1, FLOOR4_8, computers, slime, etc) is what I like about the map slot over anything than the overall design, and I was amused when you broke the two part raising floor. I should have set SR lift lines for both sectors or something.

Suggestion: Set a queue limit so you don't get bogged down by requests.

You got really popular, HAK. It's 'cause I told all my friends about you. All one of them.

Just kidding.

I somehow feel as if I'm exacerbating the situation when all I'm doing is making it so it's easier to get the wad someone else already posted in the first place.

Anyway, I'm liking this thread and, if I could, I'd like to upload a couple of my own maps for you to take a look at, but that might have to wait a couple weeks 'til I get a new laptop.

@Aquila Chrysaetos, hey, if you wanna go to the trouble, one click is easier for me than two or three. I'd be glad to play your maps; you've spoken rather knowledgeably about mapping, etc. 

@Glaice, eh, I was just joking around. The number of maps in my queue doesn't really affect how many I play in a day/week (unless of course there are zero, but that hasn't really been the case, thanks in large part to you). It's nice to have a few sets/megawads too. I can speed those up if I don't have much else or slow them down when I do.