Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

hello yes here is a thing i posted in mister back-from-the-dead's thread copy/pasted for you:

"anyways here's a map i made for a project last year

this was probably my fourth(?) map, and did not turn out very well at all

i've decided against polishing it for you so that you may have a more genuinely awful experience

i quickly dropped out of the project due to a combination of the low quality of the map and my severe lack of inexperience

just something to hold you over until i finish that demo for you-know-what: goindowntheslowway1_4.zip

important: it's for doom 1, so do -complevel 2 or 3.

also warning: loud midi

also also warning: it gets hard and tight towards the end, just as you may expect from a bonnie map"

yes

@Doomkid

@Empyre

Doomworld forum topic

Cool concept with the wheel shaped space ship. It’s a little bit monotonous, being mostly grey. It’s also rather easy. You just collect the goodies and keys, go into the final area and wreak havoc with your weapon of choice. Lots of ammo and health make this map a bit too forgiving. But who ever said every map has to be long and epic? It just feels to me like this is more of a Map 01 or 02 than 06/13.

Bottom line: Not much to it. A cool design concept shows you the ropes of Doomed in Space

@Doomkid

Doomworld forum topic

This map is a solid step back in quality from most of the others, as far as I'm concerned. It certainly feels like this mapper was less experienced. The flow of the map is just a bit off. You basically start in front of the blue and yellow doors but have to get the red key first and can easily get it without even seeing the red door. Then there are some weird backtracks and remote switch effects that are not that obvious. Then you get a really bland brown area that doesn't really do anything. It's just a mini-maze with no personality. The map is again too grey, but it does fit the space theme well with some nice views from windows and a decent middle area. Combat was about the same as other levels, though I'm not sure the spiders were used all that well.

Bottom line: There's some fun to be had here, but weird progression and lack of visual appeal make this my least favorite so far

Excellent feedback that can certainly be learned from, especially about the red key on map07. So many things here that I didn't pick up on at all during testing!

@Yugiboy85

Part 1

Part 2

idgames download page

The concept is simple enough: hub + 3 key paths that each trap you in at some point and eventually throw an epic slaughter battle your way. Then there’s one final slaughter battle. Visuals are excellent: really good balance of indoor tech stuff and outdoor natural stuff with nice transitions and interplays. Only issue is I’m not totally sure there’s anything to prod you toward the key paths in any particular order, yet they may not be equally balanced. I got the plasma gun in the third key path, so it may have been quite handy to go that route first, for example. But that’s always a potential issue in any map that’s significantly nonlinear. The battles for the keys and the final fight are big slaughter fights, but, with the exception of the red key one, I like how they’re done: nice use of the environment to help or hurt you and make the fights interesting. The second one, I felt was a little more slaughter for the sake of slaughter – pretty much a flat rectangle with just a few pillars for cover.

Bottom line: You’ll need some skill to tackle this beast, but it’s worth it: gorgeous, well designed, and fun

Hi, I'm looking for some feedback on my Mayhem Purple map, as I haven't gotten any yet and I'd like to know what people think of it. Plays on MAP07 of the RC1 beta compilation.

Guess nowadays it's more hip to press the fucking Like button instead of saying something worthwhile. I'll give it a spin tomorrow AD, just too tired right now.

Same as AD, I haven't gotten any feedback on my map for that set yet, so I'd appreciate if someone were to give it a spin and share their thoughts.

@Glaice

idgames download page

Probably my favorite E2 map so far. It’s got an overdue nonlinear aspect to it and some nice interconnectivity; I liked the general progression from out in the rocky area to in the halls to up higher and then back. There was a signature backtrack, but it wasn’t that long and there was another battle to be fought. Unless I missed something, going to the rocket launcher area was completely optional and therefore a bit odd, since it was out of the way. Too bad – that was one of my favorite areas. Combat was decent in this one. Not a lot of trouble, but a couple situations that weren’t overly simple.

Bottom line: Nothing outstanding, but this is in the upper half in terms of quality in this 15-year-old Doom 1 wad.

I could have made this map larger, tbh. Maybe thrown in a Baron in or something.

@JBerg

Download the .zip

This map has a great layout. It shows you both key doors and keys before you can get/use them, but not just in a standard hub fashion. It’s a relatively compact area with lots of interconnections and guided progress that still allows you to choose your path to some extent. Combat is pretty good with some solid traps and multidirectional threats. Really the only real negative here is visually, and it’s just a few minor things like misalignments and floor heights. Overall the map looked pretty good, and certainly plays good.

Bottom line: Nice design to a compact map that’s bigger and harder than it feels

Lulz at that zombieman on the cliff at about 4:25.

I was mildly disappointed that you went with The Demon's Dead instead of Shawn's Got the Shotgun when you changed the music, but I was glad you changed the music at all, because I hate Running From Evil after having heard it so much.

Anyway, I've got a map currently in the works which, after its proper release, I'd like you to take a look at.

@Aquila Chrysaetos, I didn't even notice the zombie twerking away, haha.

I never really liked that track, and I really don't like much in Doom 2 at all. D_Runnin is probably my third or fourth favorite in it. Doom 1 is where the good music is at.

Anyway, I look forward to playing your map. Pressure is on!

Don't worry! I've got a solid release date of July 1, so everyone's got time.

I agree that Doom 1 has the better music. Supense, Sign of Evil, and At Doom's Gate are my favorites from it, but Shawn's Got the Shotgun manages to edge them out in my book.

@The Mysterious Moustachio

At 9:00 I decide this map is too hard and cheat to figure out what’s going on. Then at about 11:20 I decide just to try to make it to the exit without killing really anything or taking in the map (kind of a poorman's speed run). The successful run starts at about 15:00.

idgames download page

Perhaps you can chalk it up to lack of skill, but I disliked this map strongly. You start with about four cacodemons and a pain elemental coming at you while you avoid revenant and cyberdemon rockets. The catch is that you get nothing but a pistol. You basically have to make a dash for the super shotgun and that’s the only other weapon you get. Also, infinitely tall actors is a serious problem in this map with lots of flying enemies and damaging floors. I know you can turn it off, but these are vanilla compatible maps. Turns out you can get the BFG only after flipping the final switch, at which point you are already in the exit room. The map itself was fine – short but appropriately hellish. Honestly, I could like this map a lot with only changes in “Things Mode.” Maybe start me with a plasma gun and a few cells. Make me explore the rock platforms to get more so that I can actually clear out some of the enemies. Leave the cyberdemon out there, protecting the yellow key so that maybe after getting the blue key, instead of just seeing the exit room and having cyberdaddy teleport in, the exit room is stocked with enough cells to kill him out there. Or access to the BFG then. Just kinda thinking out loud now…

Bottom line: Very different. Good look, interesting idea, but I hated the gameplay

On 6/15/2018 at 8:58 PM, HAK3180 said:

@JBerg

Download the .zip

This map has a great layout. It shows you both key doors and keys before you can get/use them, but not just in a standard hub fashion. It’s a relatively compact area with lots of interconnections and guided progress that still allows you to choose your path to some extent. Combat is pretty good with some solid traps and multidirectional threats. Really the only real negative here is visually, and it’s just a few minor things like misalignments and floor heights. Overall the map looked pretty good, and certainly plays good.

Bottom line: Nice design to a compact map that’s bigger and harder than it feels

Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely align the textures, change the tune for the map and make various other improvements.

Thanks for the comments, I will try and further improve my method for my next maps!

@bonnie

I've been afraid to do long videos in Boom lately (large file size seems to lead to problems), so this is GZDoom.

Download the .zip

I tend to forget that this is early in bonnie's mapping throughout the playthrough, but the overall style hasn't changed much in the few other maps I have played. The goal seems to be to create a grand adventure of an experience, so the map is big and includes a definite sense of traveling. As a result, cohesion suffers a little bit. Each new area is large and doesn't necessarily have much to do with the previous one, though you do end up revisiting an early area or two. Visually, it's not a ton to look at. Lots of huge walls are all one texture and many areas are somewhat empty besides monsters. The gameplay, however, is actually pretty fun. For the most part, it's large areas done well: different monsters in every direction that can't really be camped forcing you to hunt down the sergeants first while trying to pick up some goodies and dodge the imps, lost souls, and cacodemons. I did have some issues with the flow - some questionable areas like the exit situation - is there a secret exit or something? I don't know. And the part across the slime. I loved being able to go there, but it was one time only, I think, and just kind of odd. 

Bottom line: bonnie's somewhat distinct style won't appeal to everyone, but if it's up your alley, you'll be able to look past the faults of this map and still have some fun.

holy raviolis i can't frickin believe i never realized you could take the red key and just turn around and leave like that ;~;

...or maybe i did, i can't remember

anyways the blue key was in that room. it wasn't hidden at all, you just never looked. all you missed though was that room you could already see into

once inside, the silver door was the elevator, so you would walk in and drop right back where you started to end the level

also i dont think i made it clear enough but it wasn't really a standalone map. it was for a doom 1 community project where the goal was to emulate e1 style maps (i think i failed lmao) which i dropped out of after completing the map

many of the issues you pointed out are things i'm already now well aware of thanks to experience, but as i said, i didn't touch the map so as to preserve a sort of shitty nostalgic feel, ya know

fun fact: it's called "going down the slow way" because the track is a cool metal remix of "going down the fast way" from ROTT and also you're like goin down the elevator but slowly and stuff or somethin, yea c:

P.S. i'm pretty surprised you just kinda ignored the switch at 9:22, which would have lowered all the walls (and revealing more monsters/supplies) turning the room into yet another giant wide open square with a ton of monsters in it

you even pressed use on the side of switch

quite strange

P.P.S. i'm gonna use some of your sage advice in my top secret demo to spice it up friend!! i'm gonna REALLY try to get you the first 2 maps by sometime this weekend

@sincity2100

Doomworld download page

The wintery vibe is done fairly well, but it’s not that significant a part of the level and it is a little bit bland. The inner tech base-ish part is better detailed and has some of the better combat. There are a few duds here and there with camping and lines of demons, but most of the encounters are fun and dynamic, making you move and scramble to take down the revenants and commandos. One rather unfortunate thing for me was not finding a rocket launcher at all. It made the final encounter rather difficult for me. I do like how the plasma was moderated, so even if you did find a secret BFG, it didn’t turn the level into a piece of cake.

Bottom line: Pretty standard GMP in terms of quality but a little worse visually and a touch better combat

@AD_79

Doomworld forum topic 

I don’t have much bad to say about this map at all except there were too many rockets and not enough secrets for my liking. Other than that, I thought it was excellent. Great looking visuals with plenty of detailing without it becoming just a work of “look but don’t touch” art. The monster encounters were always well thought and well placed. Only once or twice did I feel the enemies were just monsters for the sake of monsters. What I really loved was the flow/layout – just pure expertise. You could see parts of the map ahead of time. The map opened itself up very naturally to avoid backtracking and allow subsequent shortcuts. The switch action often led you to somewhere you had seen before and knew you had to get eventually. You never felt lost at all, yet this map never felt as linear as it really is.

Bottom line: excellent design, decently tough, good length, solid visuals

Thanks for the playthrough, glad you enjoyed it! I've been waiting on you before I started editing the map, and I'm very glad to have gotten some more feedback from others on top of this. I actually wasn't aware you could manage to stockpile that many rockets, my gameplay style involves pretty heavy usage of them. Perhaps the backpack needs looking into (moved to a new secret?), though... the default cap is still a hundred which is ridiculous, so I'll do some reworking in the actual ammo placement as well.

@Skunkbear

Doomworld forum topic

You get a little bored/restless as you continue through this map because it’s a bit linear and pretty much entirely wood/brown. Still, the progression is clear without being too simplistic and there are some decent fights. I most enjoyed the library maze encounters. Ammo and health situation is much better now, but there are still a decent number of monsters that are not placed so that they make an interesting fighting experience. The main culprit here is hell knights and barons.

Bottom line: I’m glad to see skunkbear constantly revising. This thing’s not half bad. It could be pretty good as the tweaks keep coming.

I want you see how you play this my another short map. You can safely play it on port of your choice, because it doesn't go beyond vanilla limitations. 

@Darox

Doomworld forum topic

Not bad at all for a first map. Good attention to detail, solid layout, and some very interesting fights, like the stair building thing and the arch-vile - demon combo. I could hardly spot any n00bisms at all. I think that a little more visual detailing will come with experience, but this is a great debut.

Bottom line: You would not think this is a first map.

Thanks for the video, I'm glad that archvile managed to get you and add some punch to the final room.

That lone hell knight sitting on the red key is mostly just there to add some spice while waiting for the red bars to drop. If the player hits the walk line for the stairs before they finish lowering it doesn't work properly so they need to be gated, but just watching sectors lower isn't very interesting.

@Breezeep

Doomworld forum topic

This map makes significant use of the custom monsters and seems to do so pretty well. The plasma marine and the suicide exploder, in particular, could easily be used in unfair ambush situations, but they weren't. So the combat was fun throughout with a mix of mostly fairly open areas and a few tighter situations. Visually, the map is more monotonous than it feels. The natural rocky areas only use a couple textures and the tech base area is mostly grey and red, but there's enough height variation, interesting geometry, and things to keep it from being boring. There is perhaps a minor lack of landmarking, so the progression could be a touch confusing, but the design is good enough that it shouldn't really be an issue.

Bottom line: Seems like a quality project. Nothing too unique here, but high marks in every aspect.

Quick run-down of the MAYhem Purple monsters for you:

Plasma marine, replaces the WolfSS, estimate 75 health. Hate this guy because there's no telegraphing to his attack.

Suicide bomber, replaces CommanderKeen, estimate 75-100 health.

Grell, replaces BaronofHell, estimate 300 health. He's that flying thing you see that can infight with cacos.

Chaingun Arachnotron, replaces GibbedMarineExtra, estimate 400 health.

Immolator, replaces SpiderMastermind, estimate 3,000 health. Looks intimidating, but arguably, he's not as strong as his appearance suggests. He's that flying cyberdemon thing.

@Doomkid

Doomworld forum topic

Not a whole lot to this map. It’s a short map with a high monster density. It’s also pretty open, but there are enough different monsters coming from different directions to keep it interesting. I thought there was a bit too much ammo, rockets in particular, but overall, it’s a nice, simple map.

Bottom line: Feels like an E1M1 sort of affair – just travel to the exit, which isn’t very far away. It’s a bit more difficult, but there’s a bit too much ammo.