Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

5 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Sucker Punch has plenty of variety for nine short maps, and it’s all done well. Load it up and give it a shot. Everyone will like something, and some will like everything.

Thanks again for your videos! It's been a pleasure to see the maps played. I noticed a couple of small issues on MAP07, which I'll correct. I'm hoping to prepare an idgames archive upload for this within the next week or so.

@sincity2100

Doomworld download page

Definitely the hardest map yet, this one featured a lot of nicely designed encounters. It did have a fair amount of sudden teleport traps, of which I’m not the biggest fan, but usually the fights were arranged more organically. It had another fun, hectic start. The map could be potentially annoying with so many arch-viles and pain elementals, but I don’t think it was ever really unfair, with the possible exception of the hell area, just because you don’t have a plasma gun or many rockets at all when you’re in there. The layout was pretty good but the hell part was just rather bizarre. It didn’t seem to serve a real purpose. I can’t imagine the map losing anything if that entire section were simply deleted. Visually, nothing really stood out to me, but GMP maps always look nice.

Bottom line: Challenge ramps up but not at the expense of fun

A really simple vanilla WAD I made for Doom 2. It's literally just Pac-Man, but with Doom-Guy and a bunch of demons replacing ghosts.

It has different difficulty settings

pacdoom.wad.zip

If it's too much to ask, could you record and post this on the original topic? It should be on the front page. Thanks!

@Darox

EDIT: The issue around 4:00 and after is actually another missing texture, it turns out; it's not supposed to be an invisible impassable wall. I must have mistyped the command prompt to load the Doom 1 graphics.

Doomworld forum topic for community project

I think this is a success. I was pleased with it visually, even with vanilla limitations. It also had a nice layout that accomplished multiple things: it was thematic unto itself, it was within Inferno’s realm of possibility, and it was exploratorily linear. Or linearly exploratory? I didn’t love the three rooms with causing significant infighting, but the telefragging was a nice effect. I’d say the highlight was outside in the courtyard area. It was nice to look at and it was my favorite combat.

Bottom line: I think this will be a nice map for Infernew.

Edited by HAK3180 : Clarification

Really glad you got through to the end of Doomed in Space, I enjoyed watching each map and hearing your comments, it was not only entertaining but a learning experience as well! Thanks!

EDIT: Since oldschool is your preferred type of map, maybe you'll like The Devilzwork, if you find an opening to play through that I'd love to watch and listen. It's a pure-vanilla wad.

Argh I forgot about the texture pack none of those walls are meant to be invisible.

--

Oh it didn't get loaded properly, that's unfortunate.

Thanks for the video regardless!

P.S. I say it Dah-Rocks.

@Doomkid, sure, looks like it could be fun.

@Darox, Nah, that's my fault. I thought to load the graphics but I must have typed my command wrong. I didn't notice right away, of course, because most of the textures are Doom 2 anyway. But yeah, looks good properly loaded.

@Zemini

Doomworld forum topic

working download link

Nice looking map with a nice layout. I sense that combat is going to be the weak point in this wad, or rather, the less strong point, because I really like the visual atmosphere and flow. I’m not entirely sold on the new weaponry, but I’m sure I’ll get used to it and be okay with it eventually.

Bottom line: Good looking map that’s fun to run around in

The music is Countdown to Death from Doom II. It was used in MAP03 and 21.

Those red orbs are UpgradeStamina items, but they seem to be used somewhat prolifically, which might reduce challenge significantly in a continuous run.

Thanks for playing.  FYI the maps are meant to be played as a campaign.  YOu can try to "pistol start" each one but the later levels will prove to be very challenging on harder difficulties.  You will need more health because of harder hitting monster variants.

The guns are also placeholders.  I can't make guns for the life of me.  I am just sick of vanilla guns/monsters and needed new sounds and sprites.  I might use the Doom 2016 weapon sprites and sounds in the future.

1 hour ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

The music is Countdown to Death from Doom II. It was used in MAP03 and 21.

Those red orbs are UpgradeStamina items, but they seem to be used somewhat prolifically, which might reduce challenge significantly in a continuous run.

In the early levels they are easier to find.  Right now I have them placed for each episode but when the FULL 36 level wad is released and can be played like Quake, I will have to reexamine them.  Otherwise base health will reach over 600...

Edited by Zemini

41 minutes ago, Zemini said:

Thanks for playing.  FYI the maps are meant to be played as a campaign.  YOu can try to "pistol start" each one but the later levels will prove to be very challenging on harder difficulties.  You will need more health because of harder hitting monster variants.

The guns are also placeholders.  I can't make guns for the life of me.  I am just sick of vanilla guns/monsters and needed new sounds and sprites.  I might use the Doom 2016 weapon sprites and sounds in the future.

In the early levels they are easier to find.  Right now I have them placed for each episode but when the FULL 36 level wad is released and can be played like Quake, I will have to reexamine them.  Otherwise base health will reach over 600...

Put a cap on the base health. In Skulltag, the Max Health Bonus had a cap of 150 base health. If the player picks up any more after that, they will act just like regular health bonuses. 150 is an example of a number that was used before. You don't have to use that same number if you don't want to.

There is a maximum health cap but I have set it high for now.  I think I might also remove the hp bonus the orbs give you (brings you up to your soft cap) and just have it grant 10 health plus the bonus.  HOwever I will have to remake the item in order to do that. 

Each level has 1-3 orbs in it.  On average your maximum soft cap health by the end of a episode will be about 200.  Perhaps 250 if you end up finding every one... which you wont first playthrough.  Still needs to be balanced for Q1 style hub though.

There are still secrets in the game.  I am trying to figure out a way to add another set of categories (Kills, Items, Secrets) on the intermission screen.  This has failed so I decided for now to just show the orbs since they are the most important.  Most levels have about 4 additional secrets on average.  Finding them usually means special keys, Soul spheres and/or getting better weapons earlier than normal.  Special secret keys play a big part in the campaign.

Edited by Zemini

@Garbage

Note: I recorded this before the changes. I do think it works better with megaspheres than with invulnerabilities 

Doomworld forum topic

Bottom line: A simple little gimmick map. I’d be interested to see how modern GZDoom things could make this even more Pacmanish.

@Doomkid

idgames download page

Fun. It’s just old school Doom, but it’s nicely detailed for vanilla and definitely has an expert design. You can see the keys and where to use them before you get them. There are several windows that mean you have to kill enemies from a distance with the shotgun or dodge their projectiles and wait until you can get a little closer to kill them. Neither situation is ideal, and that’s good map design. Really my only problem was two barons with just single shotgun and chaingun. They weren’t really placed in such a way that health was supposed to be their chief concerning factor. For that reason I think they would have been better as hell knights. But after them you do get a super shotgun.

Bottom line: Decent challenge for an opener + great layout + nice visuals = solid start to a map set.

@sincity2100

Doomworld download page

I have mixed feelings about this map. It looked good, as they always do, and had a nice, simple progression and some moments that made me afraid, but some of the combat was just a little off. There were quite a few spiders that were too easy to take care of. There were a number of hordes of humans for which you were clearly best off camping. The penultimate fight was too easy because by then you had a ton of cells and rockets and there weren’t any high-priority enemies.

Bottom line: It was a hit or miss map for me, and the hits weren’t super awesome; nor were the misses super bad.

@Zemini

Doomworld forum topic

working download link

A potentially cool idea that I’m afraid wasn’t executed all that well. You need essentially any of four keys to exit. Getting all four will access the "secret" stamina upgrades. That’s a fine concept. The problem is that the keys were all in almost identical areas, gameplay wise. So it didn’t really feel rewarding to go above and beyond; it just felt tedious. Visually it’s a good map: somewhat tidy but with nice features. The final fight was kinda fun, dodging revenant rockets and blocking objects, but the inside combat was a bit dull.

Bottom line: Maps with lots of optional content should make you want to do the optional content. This kinda didn’t. Incidentally, this would have been fine as a short, one-key affair.

Most of my maps have a lot of optional content.  Basically you are rewarded for exploring each nook in the map.  The optional secrets are really important for continuous play.  I assume you don't want to play this continuously?  The game is more balanced around getting those HP ups (and weapons) from earlier levels.  It will make the final level very hard since you are playing on difficulty 3.  Thanks for playing.

I do share that the biome domes are pretty much all the same and will brainstorm on a way to make them more unique. 

@Zemini

I usually play maps many hours before they end up on this thread because I generally record and upload in different places. Sometimes that can even mean maps are recorded a day or more prior to being seen here. I also sometimes withhold a release if I was anxious to play a map but it’s not really next in line. In this case I had actually done Map 03 and 04 before your other comment. So I will go with continuous and I may do a super fast iddqd run through the first four to pick up some stuff before 5.

@Doomkid

idgames download page

Another great layout complete with some nice visual touches. This one is quite a bit harder than Map 01 and that difficulty is done in a clever way with long distance projectilers and some somewhat tight spaces. I also thought some expertise was shown in kinda baiting the player into certain positions to shoot better that also happen to be better positions for other enemies too. Again my only gripe is that I found some of the barons of hell to be of the “doors with HP” variety.

Bottom line: Another good design with well thought combat

@sincity2100

Doomworld download page

This is a solid homage to TNT Map 15. It’s the same enough and different enough. It’s quite a challenge too, with so many revenants placed so that they are had to kill and easy to kill you. I always like these kind of maps where almost the whole thing is there from the beginning, but guarded by many enemies. It’s up to you to strategize whom to kill and where to infiltrate, etc. I got lucky on the secrets this time, but they were very Dead Zone-esque, as was the layout in general.

Bottom line: There are nods to maps and then there are full-on homages. This is definitely the latter, and I think it’s done very well.

@Zemini

Doomworld forum topic

working download link

Again I found the combat a little dull in some places because it’s often rather camp friendly. You open a door and immediately there are a half dozen or so enemies waiting. But I do like the nonlinear design and the overall aesthetic. I also liked the concept of starting outside, going in right away, then going into the outdoor cavern area, then finishing back in the tech base.

Bottom line: So far I like these maps structurally a lot, and obviously, there are some innovative game mechanics concepts, but the combat can be dull in places.

Edited by HAK3180

Hi m8

Looking for a review of 10 maps that i've made back in 2016.

Play on gz

Length - should take around 8 hours more or less

difficulty - moderately hard (from map 03 on) and sometimes frustrating

notes - textures and monsters all from the web, no new ones. Please increase light cause it's really dark from map2 on. Play as classic doom wads.

Credit picture may be considered offensive.

Thank you so much, this is the first time i put a wad online and i hope it will be well accepted. Feel free to insult me if things go wrong with it!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8wmztjqexn5r7s/DJINN 10 wads WIP.wad?dl=1

EDIT: added a link with patched maps fixing things thanks to HAK advices and 2 additional ones, for a total of 10.

Note that MAP09 is a personal remake of Plutonia map 29 Odyssey of Noises, which is one of my personal favourites. Please don't be to harsh on it!

Title.png.a7950f26df7e74ca25f11b47bcc8bf67.pnginter2.png.9c0119d472120bedaf40be57bdab01c3.png

screen1.png

Edited by Zolgia108

@th3_Dru1d

download the .zip

This certainly seems like a first time map. A lot of the enemies seem to spring to life earlier than intended. There’s a solo baron of hell in a huge space before you get any powerful weapons. Almost the whole thing is star textures with very little floor height variation. There are no secrets. The combat is very tame. I don’t think there’s any switch or door action except the exit itself. One thing, I liked though, is the layout of the map. I don’t think you would expect first timer just from the automap view. It’s not just a bunch of rectangles and is nicely connected.

Bottom line: Clearly early in the mapping career, but nothing is broken and the map has a fairly decent progression and layout.

@Doomkid

It’s a fun little map with a nice layout. I liked the back and forth progression; it was fine because the map was so small. The bad thing about this map is that the plasma gun is a surprise. It’s in a very easy to find secret, but it’s on the other side of a teleporter, so you don’t see the plasma gun until you’re getting it. And logically, you basically get it when you pick up a very visible soul sphere. The problem is people are gonna grab that soul sphere at very different times, so while some are going to be heavily stocked with plasma for most of the tough parts of the maps, others are going to resort to infighting and punching, thinking they have to save the soulsphere for when they really need it, thus, unbeknownst to them, also prolonging their time without the plasma gun.

Bottom line: Fun little map with perhaps some questionable supply placement