Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hyquoqcq7paxsmk/dup03.zip/file\

First map that I have made, so expect these things:

-Misaligned textures

-Bugs

You might want to use mouselook at some parts of the level.

There is a text file inside the zip with some stuff about it. There is also a bug here with the amount of secrets. It's supposed to be two but for some reason its shown as six, I don't know how to fix this so it's impossible to get a 100% secret in this map. By the way, it would be great to give me some huge feedback about this map for maps that I might make in the future, I would appreciate it.

@Deadwing

Doomworld forum topic

This is wonderful. The map looks terrific and has a big, open layout. There’s a bit to explore and evidently significant optional content. Still, the progression was fine. I was only mildly confused only once or twice. The switches are usually close enough to what they activate. Combat was a lot of fun. It’s challenging. The monsters are fairly densely populated and they come at you in ways such that you have to react appropriately and use your arsenal wisely. There’s never a dull moment at all.

Deadwing, if it's all the same to you, I'm just going to start at Map 01 and play through the whole thing, unless you really wanted to see 16 right away.

Bottom line: This is the whole package: great visuals, fun layout that’s easy enough to follow but exploratory to a degree, and great combat throughout

I'm fine with starting with map 1, if it's not much a problem for you! Glad you enjoyed the level! I'll watch the playthrough! :D

@FrancisT18, I was very happy with the difficulty, and based on the stated general length of the maps, I'll probably stick with "Plutonia," but I always do pistol starts unless specifically instructed not to. 

HAK, I checked the wad dup03 and it's built in vanilla format as best as I can tell. I know it runs in Crispy Doom 5.2 and PRBoom+ 2.5.1.5.

Here is a demo I recorded in PRBoom on complevel 4 (you can see my Z height preserved near the end because of this) with Doom II if you want to see it firsthand before checking it yourself.

I just thought I should let you know it's limit-removing compatible.

Well, thanks for that. But the video is done. I saw no info so I just went with GZDoom.

Yes, BrassKnight, you do want to mention what port(s) your wad is compatible with.  

@BrassKnight

There are some nice touches in here visually: some lighting work, attempts at interesting geometry and height variation, and even a few spots of nice detail. There are absolutely much worse looking first maps. Most of the progression was good. It was pretty straightforward but there were a few choices to make and a little bit of connected layout. I think the blue key was unnecessary since you just grabbed it right away and opened its door shortly after. Perhaps just putting an armor or something in its place would give the player a reason to go over there.

I took a look at the secrets in the editor. First, I don’t think they are hidden well. Without the automap, there is no reason whatsoever to suspect either one of them. The zimmer is ever-so-slightly misaligned, but of the mapper error variety, not of the “check this out” variety. But with the automap, they are both incredibly obvious. For lines to appear as solid, mark them as “secret.” For false walls, your best bet might be to mark all of the lines behind it as “hidden.” Secondly, you just have too many sectors tagged as secret. You have five secret sectors for the one near the end of the map. You can do a search in Doom Builder for “sector effect” “9” and it will show you all your secret sectors. Thirdly, the lift in the secret is WR from both sides. I think you meant it to be SR from the side you would be coming from.

Bottom line: Not too bad at all for a first map

@Zolgia108

Doomworld forum topic

Note: Even the version I played is already outdated, so it seems some of the frustrating elements have been modified.

It’s a very large map and yet it still features some confusing progression elements and major backtracks. Usually when you find a key you are pretty far from where you need to use it. That’s not great but tolerable, but what I find very irritating is when you flip a switch or something and what it does does not look like what you just did and isn’t near it either. That happens a couple times in this map. I would suggest just using more keys. At least with a key, you know where you have to go or can figure it out, even if you have to backtrack. So for access to the Spiderdemon area, maybe instead of a repeatable shootable switch to open that door, there’s just a key there. And then to go down in the corner of the huge room with arch-viles below, maybe that should be a locked door whose key is the prize for completing the Chasm-esque part. Visually, this map is still monotonous, but we’re still improving, so that’s good to see. There are some nice little features here and there and the whole map is not the same – just each part is a little boring. I did appreciate how distinct the areas were for such a big level. Combat was inconsistent. I enjoyed the start, the boss fights, and various other parts, but some parts were rather cheesable and a couple parts were potentially unfair, like the forced damage with no suit, a mini-boss, and little health.

Bottom line: This map frustrated me flow-wise, even when I was not actually lost, but there is some fun to be had, and there’s a new version out already that is supposed to tackle some of the flow issues.

As i said via pm, in order to inform other people as well, i cleaned up everything in the latest version. New teleporters after completing the faraway areas to put you into the right path. Left elevator will not be working until you complete the right hand area. Ofc stuck situation is gone (i can't understand how could it be there to be honest), door to mastermind now stays open, googles were to be a radiation suit i just put the wrong item in there and i am wondering how, i added some traps and thanks to your advices now the imps and mancubus encounters will have a meaning, or at least they will be almost mandatory. In the "each platform do things" area the elevators to the yellow door can now be simply pressed. I really appreciate your help as usual, this was, btw, my first map ever, and i wanted to create something big, of course i knew it would have been full of bugs and i already changed things 7 times since the first scratch.

@tib_

Doomworld forum topic

These maps still are not getting old, even though they are all dark, somewhat claustrophobic, and feature a E2/E3 aesthetic. Again it’s pretty straightforward, but the combat is fun and challenging enough that the linearity does not take away from the experience. I’m impressed by how these vanilla Doom 1 maps are able to be nice-looking and fun.

Bottom line: Another fun, short map

@sincity2100

Around 28:45 I trimmed part of the video because I had to take a phone call. Nothing is missed except the screen being paused for about six minutes.

Doomworld download page

There’s a lot to this map. It’s nonlinear and has some rather large areas. It also has some pretty good traps, I think, and solid enemy placement throughout. The cyberdemon fight is a bit underwhelming, but it almost seems intended as more of a gimmick than a threat. I thought most of the combat was pretty good though with good enemy selection and placement. It’s also a good-looking map with some very distinct areas that do still flow nicely. In the video I did not determine what was up with the large optional area at the end. It turns out completing that sidequest will allow you to climb up to the blue key, which then allows you to “go backwards” for the red and yellow keys. So basically, there are two completely different ways to go about the level, both of which will only force you to encounter about 2/3 of the enemies. I think that’s a very interesting feature.

Bottom line: Fun map with a lot to do, featuring good challenges and nice scenery

@Doomkid

idgames download page

Pretty much a Doom 1 map, this map feels very Knee Deep in the Dead. It has a bit of exploring to do, a secret key, and a lot of fun and engaging combat. Again Doomkid shows expertise in map layout as well as using it to create dynamic encounters.

Bottom line: Why fix what isn’t broken?

@Zemini

Doomworld forum topic (Zemini, your download link there is broken)

This map definitely has some welcome difficult spots that will actually put a dent in your supplies. That was nice. As usual, it was pretty good looking with a nice layout, including some choice on which way to go. I felt a little bit cheated though, like the second last level in the episode should have been longer or even more substantial. Now I did miss quite a bit of optional content, but again, I was so stocked that I wasn’t encouraged to explore too far.

Bottom line: It’s not bad at all; it just feels a little underwhelming, being in its level position, and unbalanced: there were pretty tough fights and really easy fights and not much in between.

Dropbox seems to change my download link but that is fine since the version you are playing is already outdated.  Thanks for playing again!

EDIT:  Also, some of the encounters encourage mouse look.

Edited by Zemini

@xdarkmasterx

(I'm very proud of 2:47, by the way)

download the .wad

Although it’s not designed around extremely specific encounters, Chaos is pretty standard xdarkmasterx: you start with minimal supplies but lots of monsters. You can either try to get everyone to kill each other, which is risky, or you can try to find more weapons and ammo, which is also risky because you’re going to alert even more monsters in the process. So there’s a nice tension. I like the layout of this map a lot. It seems that there are basically no dead ends at all; everything connects. You just need to find the three keys and exit. I’m pretty sure the exit doors are the only doors in the map too, so that contributes to the flow of the map; it’s such that you’re never safe and should always be moving.

Bottom line: A really nice open layout with challenging gameplay.

@Deadwing

Doomworld forum topic

Well, I guess this sets the stage for what to expect. If so, we are in for big areas with lots of exploration, the threat of the possibility of getting lost, and engaging combat. This is no cakewalk, even being a Map 01, but it’s certainly fair and not anything worse than even the likes of Congo. The appearance is very nice. It does blend together a little bit and does have some misalignments, but that’s a lot more forgivable with rocky outdoor textures in natural “random” placements. I did not actually get lost, but a prominent feature was the ubiquity of options as to which way to go. Sometimes they were “one-way” paths, such as dropping off ledges, so it was possible to lose sight of where you were, but it was never frustrating. You were always guided enough to avoid banging your head against a wall.

Bottom line: Cool concept that I certainly hope (and believe) will stay fun for a full 22 maps

@Zolgia108

Doomworld forum topic

Map 08 is just a dark hallway with a boss, I think, at the end of it. Honestly, I’d rather this map not exist or just be an even shorter filler map to bridge episodes. There’s just not enough substance to it to justify being a whole map, but there’s too much to it for it to be negligible.

Map 09 is a redone Odyssey of Noises from Plutonia. The base was quite evidently the actual iwad level, but all of the textures have been changed, the progression is different, and many of the monsters are different. So basically, it’s the geometry of Plutonia Map 29 with the Djinn aesthetic. There are some nice features/changes from the original, such as a crusher trap in what was the rocket launcher + demon room. One change for the worse would be changing the platform cyberdemon to a lower Spiderdemon that can hardly hit you at all. It’s a fine map. The big question, though, is whether it’s appropriate. Obviously, nothing for profit is happening here, but I’m just not sure this should be included as part of an original mapset, since it obviously started with Odyssey of Noises and made changes, rather than started from scratch and tried to emulate Odyssey of Noises.

Bottom line: Map 09 is pretty fun, but I’m not sold on either of these maps’ inclusion in this wad.

Before making map 09 (which was btw my first attempt in giving a shot in map making in 2018, the previous 8 were from 2016) i asked here on the forum if it was okay to do that, they told it is, i actually said i was going to basically take it and change progression textures and placement, i think i was clear enough then i am not completely sure of course so if you think it may not be legal i will cut it, no huge deal.

Of course the wall befre the yellow key wasnt supposed to be passable, i am just dumb, it was lowered after the red door. The climb that you tried to make was to take you to the final door from the back with the megasphere that you actually took at the end of the map. I didn't expect those fatsos to be so slow in the end dammit ^^

Mastermind is there to annoy you when you do the red door, but it actually seems useless as you said, so i'd better cut it. You missed a couple of optional areas that i added. Map 08 is just a passage for the storyline, it's kinda important to me but it's not a map itself if i could do it like an automatic map it would be better but i don't know how to do that...

Anyway thanks for trying them out, i know it must have been hard for you to try a remake of Odyssey by a noob ;(

Thanks for the advices as usual

Thanks a lot @HAK3180!

I'm glad you haven't got lost while playing the level. That was somewhat fustrating when I saw people playing moonblood and I don't want that to happen too often in exomoon :P I do enjoy a lot exploration and incidental combat, though!

@mArt1And00m3r11339, based on the text file, I'll give this a shot, but I may well skip some levels. 8 and 11, in particular, look like they may be things I have no interest in.

@Doomkid

I left plenty of failure, but I did cut one death run because it was a long saveless trek of vanity and because the video is already plenty long. It’s at about 43:40; it’s almost entirely unnoticeable other than perhaps the music

Domworld forum topic

It’s not as long as it is densely populated with monsters. They just came in large packs all the time. It was interesting and fun watching lots of them die from barrel clusters or even from BFG blasts. A couple negatives in combat would be some camping situations and just too much plasma. The last third or so could have almost been entirely BFG, but the opposition did not call for that at all. For a pretty big level, progression was pretty good. Early on I started to wonder, but you were shown the doors and keys sufficiently to have a somewhat guided experience, even with lots of exploring.

Bottom line: Pretty well done for a large, vanilla map. There could be a chance you get bored before you finish, but you’ll have some fun with this one.

That ending could have been way more obvious, definitely a flaw in hindsight. On UV, that area spawns monsters just as the real IoS does so perhaps that makes it more obvious, while also giving to some targets to spend all the BFG ammo on. There's also more fodder in general and a few extra teleporting enemy traps that were reserved for UV, for whatever it's worth. Really enjoyable playthrough as always!

@mArt1And00m3r11339

idgames download page

Not a conventional map, featuring just five enemies. You have to survive a mini-puzzle with arch-viles and then a cyberdemon from close range with just a chaingun. A successful run should only take a couple minutes, but this is more of a skill test. I don’t mind these little gimmicks, but I usually prefer them to be part of a bigger map (e.g. Last Call is my favorite original IoS level) that also features more conventional gameplay. We’ll see what the rest has to offer.

Bottom line: fun little test of skill

@sincity2100

Doomworld download page

It’s hellish, and the look is pretty good, especially the “indoor” parts. The outside “natural” environment was a touch underwhelming and also misaligned in numerous spots. The gameplay here was pretty straightforward, but there were some good fights, like toward the beginning with lots of humans and then when you first go back outside. Unfortunately, the climax did not work at all because the enemies just bunch up by a ledge that you are on top of, so they cannot hit you and just kill off each other. I think that section could have been more cacodemons and pain elementals, possibly even an arch-vile.

Bottom line: A new experience for GMP – not the best map but not the worst

P.S. I did load up Plutonia Map 19 NME, and then remembered it. Obviously, this map is nothing like that, so it must not be meant as a tribute to it (most have been to TNT anyway, but after Map 32, who knows?).

2 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@mArt1And00m3r11339

idgames download page

Not a conventional map, featuring just five enemies. You have to survive a mini-puzzle with arch-viles and then a cyberdemon from close range with just a chaingun. A successful run should only take a couple minutes, but this is more of a skill test. I don’t mind these little gimmicks, but I usually prefer them to be part of a bigger map (e.g. Last Call is my favorite original IoS level) that also features more conventional gameplay. We’ll see what the rest has to offer.

Bottom line: fun little test of skill

Thanks for the feedback. Level 2 is going to have more parts than the level you just did, but it shouldn't take that long (roughly 10 minutes).

@tib_

Doomworld forum topic

This one feels the least Inferno yet, not that they have to. It has a fun start with an intricate layout that allows you to play the map differently a few times. Combat is pretty good with a couple rougher traps but nothing too brutal or unfair. The map looked pretty good but perhaps featured too much of the vine texture.

Bottom line: A little different vibe here but a fun little map again

that was the only map of goetia in which i died! I started scratching my back while the cacos were telporting in, it was a bad idea

@Doomkid

idgames download page

This one is a bit longer and features some optional key doors that are marked as secret, but the flow is good as usual. It’s got some challenge to it as well and it’s always done organically, using both the bestiary and the space to put pressure on the player. You can tell Doomkid’s been around the mapping block a few times. Visually, you get what you get with vanilla. I thought one area was a little boring, but it looked fine for the most part.

Bottom line: This is good vanilla mapping.