Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

48 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@mArt1And00m3r11339, I understood your comment. Evidently you thought of all of those teleporter destinations as a single issue. But since I could never get to the plasma gun area, I had no reason to know that there were more teleporter destinations that were hard only. So my fix was to fix the one only, the one that takes the player there. Your fix was that plus the destinations that bring the imps in, which I didn't know were also lacking on easy/medium. And since you said that you fixed the issue as I pointed out, it seems we both believed your fix and my fix would be the same.

When you get to levels 9 and 10, they should not take very long to finish. Level 9 is the one with a lot of mancubii and level 10 is the one with spawning enemies in a single area.

@sincity2100

Doomworld download page

The setup is tried and true: see all the key doors right away but get them in a prescribed order. The aesthetic is pretty cool, gradually turning from Knee Deep in the Dead to Inferno. The gameplay is centered on big encounters, and they’re all pretty good, though I did think the penultimate fight was a little off because nothing can get out of the room and they cyberdemons just clear everything.

Bottom line: nothing too special here but a nice, epic homage to Doom 1 themes with lots of big fights.

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

@Bridgeburner56, I'm always glad to give my thoughts on a work in progress. Age of Hell certainly looks promising, if that's what we're talking about here.

Indeed we are. OK, I'll let you know once I've got the discord server set up to get play testing underway (should be in the next week or 2) Thanks!

@xdarkmasterx

Doomworld forum topic

xdarkmasterx seems to have solidified his design philosophy: the last several maps of his I’ve played have all featured a three-key exit door and a very integrated design in which you can go anywhere from anywhere at any time. The start is always pretty tough as you slowly build up your supplies, but even when you do, there’s always a challenge and it’s thrown at you in an interesting way. This map also happened to be one of his best-looking, in my opinion, though there’s still room for improvement in that realm.

Bottom line: quintessential xdarkmasterx works for me.

@Steve D

Doomworld download page

This is a big map that feels very TNT in many places with very large areas opening up to more very large areas that are often somewhat underdetailed. Still, it’s a well done map with a lot going on. I appreciate the intricacies of the layout, how connected it all really is, even though the main critical path is fairly linear.

Bottom line: Again, nothing extravagant, but what you get is a big map done well for the most part.

@Roofi

Mayhem Orange Doomworld forum topic

The design is very well thought. The map takes you all over the place in such a way that you never really know what you’re doing but you also never really get lost. I did get lost once, but what I needed to do was nearby and certainly cued subtly at least. It’s got a nice look, but I feel it’s a touch underdetailed. There was way too much ammo on easy; I felt like I was constantly being reminded that I was a wimp. That aside, the quasi-slaughter encounters were usually fun and engaging with unique touches, even if I was not a fan of a few of them.

Bottom line: A nicely designed challenging map with hints of puzzle in the progression

@Zemini

Doomworld forum topic

It’s almost like a maze hunting down the many keys that you need to get through this one. I think many of the doors should just stay open for flow’s sake, and there is one or two moments of simple camping, but most of the combat is a decent challenge, even if it’s all somewhat similar, because you basically never get away from small rooms and hallways in this one.

Bottom line: This map does fine on its own merits. Within the context of its respective megawad, it’s a little stale.

Glad you liked it. :)

I made a very classic vanilla Doom 2 map in 2017 (Name : Woodcraft , Map 01). That level is way easier than "Floréal" so I think you can complete it on UV.

@Deadwing

Doomworld forum topic

This one had a little bit more of a guided exploration, but there was still a lot to do at your own pace. I really enjoy seeing large parts of the level become accessible through innovative switch use. As usual, the combat is lots of fun – always a suitable challenge, though this map scales the difficulty back a bit.

Bottom line: Great example of an episode opener: new look with same great gameplay

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9122jxssdz3rl58/MOTM_RC2.zip?dl=1

Ok, now that difficulty settings are implemented, I think it's fine if you have a go at it :D 

If playing with prboom+, complevel should be set to 11 (mbf)

Other than that, jumping/crouching is forbidden (will be punished with extreme prejudice) and disabled by default via mapinfo. Freelook is fine though. 

Good luck :)

Oh, this goes without saying but, doom 2, map 01 xD

EDIT: link to the forum topic 

Edited by Yugiboy85

@xdarkmasterx

Doomworld forum topic

This one is pretty crude looking, even by xdarkmasterx’s standards. The layout is simple, which sharply contrasts what I’ve been playing by this mapper lately. The level designs of those are much superior to this, in my opinion. There’s a nice Easter egg secret, and the beginning is kinda fun, mowing down humans lest they mow you down, but after that the encounters are nothing to write home about. There’s way too much ammo and supplies (at least on easy), and most of the combat is not all that innovative.

Bottom line: Below the bar xdrakmasterx has set for himself

P.S. In the future, xdarkmasterx, please post the link to the forum topic if applicable, instead of just a download link.

On 9/13/2018 at 2:24 PM, HAK3180 said:

@Steve D

This is a big map that feels very TNT in many places

I must come by that TNT vibe naturally. I know I played TNT back in the day before I made these maps, but I doubt it had much impact on me when I created them just a couple years later. I was mainly influenced by Knee Deep -- of course! -- and Fava Beans at this time, but I wanted something a lot more brutal.

Thanks for catching that light texture cut-off. When I checked it in GZDB, the repair sector was already there, but I obviously failed to put CEIL5_1 in it, like I did with all the others. I made these maps on a Mac using Hellmaker which, in common with every other editor from the Stone Age, had no ability to display flats, much less choose between viewing floor or ceiling textures, so you just accepted getting your TLite textures cut off, unless you were willing go the trial and error route of seeing how many tries it would take to get the repair right. Pretty much nobody cared back then. :D

Based on your comments, I decided I should take the SSG out of its secret room. It was when you said, "You really aren't encouraging me to kill those Mancs," that made me think this. I always kill them, but then, I know where all the goodies are. ;) I thought maybe I could put it in that very room, perhaps in front of the middle computer console. That might make gameplay a little more dynamic.

Only 1 more map to go. After that I might send you the revised version of Map01, where I blew out the walls and turned it into a highly interconnected -- and much more difficult -- Amiga Demo Party map. I put it up last year, and it will be part of the Amiga Demo Party megawad, if I ever get time to make it.  

@Zolgia108

Doomworld forum topic

It’s like a little quasi-maze that turns into a boss arena. I like the concept here of defeating the enemies slowly but surely as you gather up goodies that will help you take down the boss. I think the map suffers a bit from lack of landmarking, and I think the crackodemon is overpowered; it’s not even a boss in this map. In general, thing placement could be an issue in this map because of how homogeneous it is – it almost becomes a map of luck.

Bottom line: A short boss arena. I found the preboss part to be much more fun, but it could use some polishing.

@mArt1And00m3r11339

idgames download page

I’m not sure I played this the intended way, but I had some fun with it. Assuming you’re not about to punch four cyberdemons, it’s a matter of staying alive long enough to get a BFG, and then it’s a matter of being a halfway decent shot with your BFG so as to kill four cyberdemons with 600 cells. The ending was just the same thing four times in a row, so I could do without that, but this map did not really wear out its welcome, and I was very happy not to see a chaingun.

Bottom line: This one is a much less tedious/grindy gimmick, but it could definitely be that too if you want it to be.

Sorry for taking long to answer >.< Weekend was very busy for me haha

Anyway, thanks a lot for the playthroughs! Map 7 was meant to be some sort of boss level with some contextual elements for the lore while 8 is a breather between the previous levels, without Cyberdemons, Archvilles and barely any revenants too. Hopefully things will tighten up more for the next maps :D

@sincity2100

Doomworld download page

This is a map of parts; each section has its own identity visually and combat-wise. I think it works because it still flows rather nicely and does feature a couple hubs, if you will. There’s definitely some tricky combat here and it’s achieved in a variety of ways. There are some smart enemy placements. Although this probably doesn’t crack my top 10 favorite GMP maps, I feel it has a certain somethingness that makes it "objectively" top tier

Bottom line: a fairly intense map with a sophisticated feel to it

I hope you're alright with me asking you to play this map, I don't want to come across as rude. It's not too long (cca 5 - 10 minutes), it uses the d1gfxd2-fix-AC.WAD, and it should be fairly fun.

I'm particularly interested in the feedback over the BSK trap and the end, so please may attention to those. Thanks!

@NaZa, you had nothing to do with why I left Infernew. I'd be happy to test anyone's maps from the project.

@an_mutt, I've got a big beast to do already this week, so you may be looking at Friday-Saturday.

On 9/14/2018 at 6:38 AM, HAK3180 said:

@Zemini

Doomworld forum topic

It’s almost like a maze hunting down the many keys that you need to get through this one. I think many of the doors should just stay open for flow’s sake, and there is one or two moments of simple camping, but most of the combat is a decent challenge, even if it’s all somewhat similar, because you basically never get away from small rooms and hallways in this one.

Bottom line: This map does fine on its own merits. Within the context of its respective megawad, it’s a little stale.

This was actually my newest map in the campaign.  Only one level left for you to play ;-(

@Steve D

Doomworld download page

It’s big and full of secrets, which I finally found for a change. I like the fast pace of monsters everywhere, even though the map is also pretty big. There was never a dull moment as I explored this beast and mowed down lots of enemies. The big climax at the end was serviceable but a little easy with all the supplies.

Bottom line: The last map does not disappoint.

Abcess is not going to blow you away visually, conceptually, or in terms of gameplay, but what it gives you is a solid, quality, classic Doom-like experience.

@Roofi

Doomworld download page

This map has a nice, simple progression: yellow key path or red key path, the other one, final path. It also has some nice views and scenery, especially the bridge sections. A lot of the combat is clever and engaging, but I also found a bit of it to be fighting for the sake of fighting – just huge numbers of monsters in not-that-interesting environments – it called for a lot of BFG spamming, which is not really my thing.

Bottom line: Okay looking map (vanilla, after all), with high monster density

@Zemini

Doomworld forum topic

The progression is straightforward and simple. The look is pretty good and of course a nice break from all the tech baseishness. What’s going to make or break this one is the combat. I think it’s pretty good. There are several boss fights that are all fairly innovative, if not the monsters themselves, at least the way they are implemented.

Bottom line: This is my favorite episode closer.

This is a fun wad so far with a lot of custom stuff and unique features. It certainly needs some polishing in some areas, but if Zemini keeps going with this thing, it could be something great.

The demon barrels can to help damage your enemies and cause demons of the same type to infight (and kill each other). 

Thanks for playing my entire mega wad!  Your version is very outdated and the new one will not be released any time soon.  I will be making some major changes to the game elements and map structure.

However I am working on EP4 which will hopefully done by the end of the year.  Ill try to get some screen shots posted in the "I wanna see your wads" thread.

Edited by Zemini

@NaZa

project thread

This is for the upcoming community project Infernew. I like the design a lot. It does have a Mt. Erebus feel to it without quite as much to do. It has nice details that make it look good even though it’s an open map in vanilla. It’s not too difficult, though it does have some sticky spots. I do like the final fight, but I thought the exit could be a little more obvious and in general, I thought the map was a little surprisingly short. I didn’t mind the blue key trap. I thought it was somewhat cliché, but that’s totally fine if the goal is maps inspired by something from 25 years ago.

Bottom line: I think this should work well for the project. It might benefit from a few tweaks.