Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

@Yugiboy85

Part 1

Part 2

Doomworld forum topic

It’s definitely different from Travelling to the Moon. It does still have a similar aesthetic, which is excellent, lots of monsters, and the ability to choose your own path, but a lot about this is unlike the original. I thought the exploration was great; it seemed like there was a lot to do and that it didn’t matter when you did what. The switch action was not always clear to me, but in many cases it didn’t really matter. It was like guided wandering; I only got lost briefly a couple times. The combat was the biggest change, at least from what I remember. There were more very small traps, some of which I found annoying and only a couple really big fights. The big finale probably would have been the fourth biggest fight in Travelling to the Moon. I did find the ending a little weak because the bosses fought each other and there was just a ton of ammo and not a lot of monsters that demanded priority. The whole map had a ton of ammo. Even though I found 1/13 secret and didn’t get a plasma gun until very late (I assume), I was always able to spam rockets and still have 100 of them almost always.

Bottom line: I’m afraid it’s not as good as Travelling to the Moon, but it’s another epic adventure with great visuals and mostly good gameplay.

@Deadwing

Doomworld forum topic

Combat really shines in this map. I thought it started and ended very well, especially the hectic start in the really cool central area. This map is a little more straightforward than some of the others, but it’s fairly open so that you still feel you are exploring. Plus, the secret sidequests help in that regard. I do like the underground aura of this one, and I thought it was a nice touch to show a little bit of sky only at the end.

Bottom line: Great gameplay in a somewhat basic looking but well designed thematic space

@an_mutt

idgames download page

It’s big and long, but you never really stray too far away from where you started. It’s more about opening the level up and accessing areas you have seen before but not been to. The design and look are terrific. I did find myself wandering a little bit, but if you pay attention to what keys you have/need and where those doors/switches are, it shouldn’t be a problem. It’s a little stingy on ammo and a touch grindy with a couple of the hordes. I also did not love the use of Spider Masterminds, but besides that the combat was good: a fair but serious challenge all the way through.

Bottom line: it feels like a lot of work, but it’s solid Doom gameplay in a great environment.

I'm really glad the experience has been quite smooth! Pacing seems good and there's not any bug in that level, although maybe I should switch the soulsphere with the BFG in the secret area? :P I tried to make the secrets more substancial in this mapset, which might make them not so advantageous if the player wants to speedrun, but hopefully the exploration factor is worth it. Next levels are going to be more... complicated, especially regarding pacing and navigation, so I'm curious to see if they're going to behave well D:

@Zolgia108

Doomworld forum topic

This map has a conventional layout with some pretty decent visuals and solid combat. I thought the opening fight was well done with just the right number and placement of monsters. It still has its quirky weirdness and creepiness that make it Djinn, but I think this is a map that most Doomers would enjoy at least some.

Bottom line: good trends continue

8 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@Zolgia108

Doomworld forum topic

This map has a conventional layout with some pretty decent visuals and solid combat. I thought the opening fight was well done with just the right number and placement of monsters. It still has its quirky weirdness and creepiness that make it Djinn, but I think this is a map that most Doomers would enjoy at least some.

Bottom line: good trends continue

Glad this is coming along! i am sorry about the respawing monster, it was supposed to respawn 1/3 of the times, but fuck it always does that so i will delete him right away. A couple of things: the overly generous secret was made to be found easily cause who doesn't see a different torch? :) i mean it's a sort of "you get punished badly if you don't find that secret!" and then in the blood room with arachnos if you stand of the blood pools they won't hit you, their plasma will hit their walls, it took some time to get the right height, this just to say! anyway i am glad that you enjoyed this map a little cause you won't enjoy next one even for a while i think! :P

thanks again for playing and for helping me!

@mArt1And00m3r11339

idgames download page

Very straightforward, very customized gameplay. Some will like it; others won’t. This one was one of my favorites because it was never really too tedious until the very end and it involved BFG, rather than endless chaingunning.

Bottom line: have some fun with the BFG 9000

Time to return the favor, people!

Okay, in all seriousness, there will be no mutual scratching of backs here/preferential treatment given to those who fill this request. But here’s a humble request that some of you whose maps I’ve played take a few minutes and peak at a couple of mine. If you’re not interested, cool. My stated goals in the opening post of this thread are to get better at mapping and have fun Dooming. I’ve done both, thanks to you. I just wanted you to be aware of the influence all this critiquing has had on me so far and invite you to view it firsthand.

8 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Time to return the favor, people!

Okay, in all seriousness, there will be no mutual scratching of backs here/preferential treatment given to those who fill this request. But here’s a humble request that some of you whose maps I’ve played take a few minutes and peak at a couple of mine. If you’re not interested, cool. My stated goals in the opening post of this thread are to get better at mapping and have fun Dooming. I’ve done both, thanks to you. I just wanted you to be aware of the influence all this critiquing has had on me so far and invite you to view it firsthand.

I'll propably play it sometime

@sincity2100

Doomworld download page

This map looks cool. It’s simultaneously tech-ish and hellish in a city style layout, which I love. The action starts right away and rarely lets up. I would have been fine playing this map twice as long just to take it in.

Bottom line: Great visual design that happens to play pretty good too.

Edited by HAK3180

10 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@sincity2100

Doomworld forum topic

This map looks cool. It’s simultaneously tech-ish and hellish in a city style layout, which I love. The action starts right away and rarely lets up. I would have been fine playing this map twice as long just to take it in.

Bottom line: Great visual design that happens to play pretty good too.

BTW you can beat the map without the Blue Key, Beside the Blue Door at your left, there is a hidden door on the small lava pool, I added that for the shortcut purpose.

And Good Luck in the Next Map, it's The Longest Map in the entire game, you'll need it.

@Deadwing

Doomworld forum topic

This one features a hub with teleporters to take you to different mini-levels. It’s a fine concept. You kind of repeat the same thing multiple times, but not really. The fighting is always interesting and the scenery is always pleasant, even if monotonous at times.

Bottom line: a fairly intense adventure through multiple isolated arenas.

@Zolgia108

Doomworld forum topic

I just don’t really like the custom monsters. Maybe I play Doom mostly for nostalgia. Maybe I don’t like being a worse player when I see familiar sprites that behave differently. Whatever it is, I just don’t really like the custom monsters. Beyond that, this is not a bad map. It’s not great looking, but it’s got a decent progression and flow and some unique ideas. I did not think the big revenant/pain elemental/flaming pain elemental boss thing fight worked that well because by then all the cover was gone but BFG ammo was bountiful. I also did not like running into invisible solid walls in the last fight, but that’s about all I think needs to be improved here. The rest will be a matter of personal taste.

Bottom line: a mini-boss heavy map with some bizarre stuff going on

If I may...I recently released an updated version of Maskim Xul and I was hoping I could get a playthrough. A few admissions:

-The mapset is overall somewhat difficult: with how long it took me to finish this mapset I never bothered to add difficulty settings, so unfortunately there's not really any way to tone things down.

-Map length varies: MAP01 is a somewhat short intro map with no combat, while MAP02 is pretty long and MAP03 is of medium length.

-I've used DeHackEd to replace a good portion of the monsters and a couple of the weapons: I've done my best to have them not change too much of the overall Doom feel though.

With all that being said, it's been a project that I've poured a lot of love into in the 4 years it's been in progress and I'd be keen to get your thoughts on it. Here is the link.

@Capellan

Doomworld forum topic

These maps are small, but full. It’s not like a bunch of Map 01s; the maps are full of action and do feel complete when you get to the end. The vibe so far is very Doom 1 with a lot of tight spaces and low tier enemies. They also have a Knee Deep in the Dead look so far, even with some custom textures. The maps are pretty good looking for vanilla, so I don’t have any real complaints at this point.

Bottom line: so far, so good

Glad you're enjoying yourself.  The 404-line limit is all about focusing the play of the map on a core concept.  The 404MAPS file talks about the concept of each level and what I was experimenting with / aiming for in each.

Edit to add: the maps are intended to be playable in either continuous or pistol start, but continuous will be easier (though I have tried to limit how much easier with a couple of techniques).

Edited by Capellan

I m sorry about the invisible walls, it was a last minute thing that i will fix right away, possibily placing an invisible line with teleporters, i didn't think about the consequences of hitting an invisible wall while fighting bosses that was just dumb of me, so sorry :( this btw was the first map i ever made back in 2015 and it was fixed a couple of months ago (you can't imagine how it was before hahahah), now with the hell episode i am sure you will see some differences! at least i hope so :(

Now i will play your last 2 maps (i already played 7) and will tell you what i think! Thank you as usual technical tester and doom nostalgic critic Hak! :P

@mArt1And00m3r11339

idgames download page

The whole thing takes place in a small square room wherein you defeat 376 enemies (Hurt Me Plenty) with the plasma gun that come in waves. It’s executed fairly well, as far as the supplies and the timing, and it does require a little bit of strategy. It’s hard not to call it a grind, but it’s not a super boring grind as it’s constantly changing, and it’s not a very long map.

Bottom line: Not really my thing, but seems to be done well for what it is

I'm glad you haven't got lost in that level haha I wasn't sure about the arrows in the minimap too, but I guess they at least do their job :P It seems the secrets are also well placed, so far I don't remember any secret that no player has found or that everyone found it. Thanks a lot for the playthrough! Unfortunaly I'm with lots of time restriction and I haven't even be able to watch the videos by the time they get released >.< I'll try to play the WIP mapset, though!

@Obsidian

Note: I mention I’m playing on Hurt Me Plenty, but there actually are no different skill levels

Doomworld forum topic

It looks good. There’s lots of detail and some cool concepts without monsters. The switch action was cool but sometimes a touch confusing. No big deal in a small, empty opener, But I am a little worried about the progression in the coming maps.

Bottom line: It’s a well-polished opener that seems to set the tone for a puzzle-oriented wad

Cheers for giving this a shot! To answer a couple of your questions:

Spoiler

1. The switch that breaks when you hit it only does that. :P I felt like doing something silly.

2. That face you saw only appears if you somehow skip the silent teleporter linedefs: I couldn't figure out a way to make sure players always hit them, so I slapped those down in a couple of places to make it obvious that something went amiss.

3. The progression will be pretty twisted in the next map: I did my best to give places a unique feel and even signposted some places with minor pickups, but it's very much something you have to explore if you want to make it out the other end. This project was extremely self-indulgent and some of the decisions made were kind of unorthodox.

Best of luck!

@sincity2100

Part 1

Part 2

Doomworld download page

This map looks great and is a nicely designed epic adventure that never really gets boring because it always presents you with a different challenge in a slightly different looking area while remaining cohesive. Unfortunately, it was a tale of two halves for me. I struggled mightily in the first half because of lack of ammo. In the second half, I was very well stocked. One of the secrets I found (2/7 total) was very generous, so I fear a lot of the almost necessary supplies are in secrets.

Bottom line: I wanted to be fully wowed by this map, but I just couldn’t because of lack of ammo and a few less than ideal enemy encounters. Still a solid map.

@Deadwing

Doomworld forum topic

This is a very open-ended map that lets you get keys in any order and requires any two to exit. I really like the design, how varied the map really is even with a single cohesive aesthetic. I’m also finding the Plutonia difficulty to be very enjoyable for my skill level. The combat is always engaging and challenging, never unfair or horde for the sake of horde.

Bottom line: I think with slightly better visuals Deadwing could be my favorite mapper.

Amazing! That was a lot fun to watch! The area that got hidden by the raising water was indeed a secret, which you can access by that switch in the other closet which lowers that floor with different texture :D

The next level will probably have a difficulty spike (although it might be the hardest level of the wad). Unfortunaly these later levels aren't as balanced as the previous ones, since I haven't got playthroughs of the last version of them, but hopefully things will work fine >.<

@Zolgia108

Doomworld forum topic

This is the hell opener and it’s pretty good. The attention to monster placement here was thoughtful and usually very appropriate. The design only helped in that regard. I thought there was too much of the red rock texture, and I thought the exit door should probably be locked or on a switch of some sort, but this is a solid map.

Bottom line: The combat stood out to me, but the map has a decent look and good design as well.

thank you hak! i thought 2 things in the final area: "would a player in that horrible situation open that door to possibly find a worse one?" and "maybe i should do like scythe does sometimes and give the possibility to the player to skip the monsters and run through the exit this time", so i tried that for example my brother likes to kill everything and didn't open the door, but if you think it's too easy that way i will place the yellow key there. Basically in the final area there are 3 doors that open whenever you kill a specific monster with other ones coming in (arch with chaingunners, revenants and some other stuff), i can place the key there but i would like to see what other players would do in that kind of situation, what do you think? Anyway, thanks again as usual!

@Zolgia108, I guess what I thought was weird was not the skippable content per se, but the fact that you come into that room pretty much facing the exit door and you actually have to go out of your way to "complete the map." Even if there were just a switch on the other side by the mancubi or a key, I think that would work a little better.

@Capellan

Doomworld forum topic

We get into the next episode and visually, it’s more like Doom 2, but the combat stays fresh and challenging. Episode 1 seemed to be more about a steady flow of monsters, whereas in episode 2 so far there seem to be more fights, rather than just one big continuous one. The only blemishes I found were a typo in the intermission text and a lack of ammo on pistol start on map 08.

Bottom line: Yeah, we’re still having fun.