Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

thank you :) i will consider placing some more pre icon monsters, i just placed 1 cyberdemon 2 revenants the arch 2 mancubus and the double boss, as soon as you started i saw you killing those bossses in a second with the bfg (btw the secret is supposed to be taken, but the meaning of that texture is the same one at the end of the previous map), i think that the situation without a bfg would be too rough, i am not sure. I'm glad that it did take some tries to figure out the switches, cause usually an icon of sin takes a second to end but should take a few minutes to figure it out, that's what was hard to recreate (at least for me), but yea i think it worked well enough. It will go on, i am not planning on using an icon as final boss. You should read the end episode writings sometimes btw! you never do that ahahahah, there is one at the end of map 07, then on 12, 17 and this! :(

@Zolgia108, oddly enough, I did actually watch the screen this time before seeing this post. But yeah, I usually don't. I think I just got into the habit of not caring about them because they're not changed in Good Morning Phobos, which was the first big set I did.

Doomworld forum topic

New look comes with a little more detail than we’re used to but a similar kinda washed out grey look. Overall I like the atmosphere and the progression. And I like the combat for the most part. The only thing I really dislike here is the overuse of semi-invisible monsters. Probably about half the monsters have the spectre quality.

Bottom line: One persistent annoyance brings the map down some, but it’s still pretty good.

Finished the video.  Spotted a wrong ceiling flat in map17, and a couple of things in map19 (extra secret sector tag, misaligned startan).  There's a radsuit right there in plain sight in the second cavern of map18, you know :)

The D404MAPS.TXT file discusses how the map names shaped the maps, but it's fine if you don't see them.  They gave me a focus to work to, which was the point of the exercise!

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

Interesting progression that feels a little like a puzzle sometimes. Combat is pretty good, especially the imp + spider room, but health is rather low and the gameplay would benefit from a chaingun and/or shotgun. The look is pretty cool; it does feel pretty dungeon. I suppose minor drawbacks would be a ton of the one stone texture and a few odd uses of ashwall.

Bottom line: Enjoy your super shotgun and rocket launcher

I did notice from your playthrough that there was definitely not enough health for medium difficulty. It was interesting to watch how you got through the map on such low health, though I do feel slightly bad for forcing that on you.

This map set is based around chaingun/SSG and rocket launcher, just the way it's designed. I can see how it could get annoying in the longer map 3, but I tried to refrain from putting the player in situations that couldn't be handled with the weapons they got and, particularly in the case of the SSG, to make sure that ammo was in generous supply.

Each of the maps was loosely based on an area in Zelda 1, and all of the music came from the Zelda series. "Going Alone" was based on the beginning of the overworld, "Mountain Ahead" was based on some mountainous area in the north of the overworld, and "Dungeon" was based on one of the dungeons, though I can't remember which one right now. And, of course, the imp and spider room was meant to be the wad's version of a boss fight/puzzle.

So, thank you for playing Chronicle of Doomguy! How did you enjoy it overall?

The tornado demon archvile was removed today :) it's kinda nonsese and i decided to put a regular arch instead, the translucent monsters were to add some difficulty and to simbolize the fact that you went were the demons you killed now lie (map 25 will be called "where dead demons lie" referring to a song by Dissection called "where dead angels lie"), so i liked the double idea, i don't know if they were cheap but it seems you managed to end the map fairly so iguess it may be alright! I am sorry that i am still working on map 24 (actually first version is up but i am waiting for my brother to test it first), i will send you a message with the link asap (probably by the end of the week if not before). You did a lot for me Hak and i am really grateful :)

Oh the other thing to mention about Doom 404 is that the new music only goes to map15 right now.  The maps after that just have standard Doom 2 music.

@meapineapple, ah, okay. I've never hardly actually played the original and didn't really replay many others except Link to the Past. I certainly enjoyed it overall. It's a good use of all (mostly?) stock resources: still fun and interesting.

@Zolgia108, at the end of the day it was only a few of the monsters I had real issue with, the distant commandos in particular, but they weren't going in and out of visibility and the map was plenty bright.

@Capellan, I had forgotten that. I pretty much stopped playing Doom with Doom music in the early 00s, so although I know the tracks, I don't always remember which maps they go with, particularly the tracks I don't like, which is a lot of the Doom II ones. 

@MarcinT

I actually played this before I read your comment, so it's still in Crispy. One of your lifts in Map 01 uses a zero tag and the other uses a Boom action, so this wad is decidedly not vanilla compatible. It needs at least Boom. That is why I could not get out. I will do the remaining maps in GZDoom.

Doomworld forum topic

Even if this project started out as vanilla, with as many twists and turns as there are in this cave system, I don’t think a little more detail here and there would cause vanilla limit problems. It’s pretty much all the same height and texture. I do like the story told through the train. For gameplay, it’s again pretty basic but this time there’s a pretty severe lack of ammo or at least a distribution that does not lend itself well to how I played the map. There were also some very remote switches, which meant a lot of running back and forth through the sections that were hard to tell apart.

Bottom line: A somewhat cliché but interesting layout, but this map lacks polish and ammo.

On 2/26/2018 at 12:04 AM, HAK3180 said:

Inspired by @xvertigox and his thread, I’d like to make a similar offer to the Doomworld community. I only started playing custom wads a few years ago and only started mapping several months ago. I want to improve at mapping and I want to have fun Dooming. I think I can accomplish both those goals by playing, recording, and offering commentary on your maps.

I do not want to steal xvertigox’s customers or anything like that. I just want to give you another (or an additional) option and perhaps take a little pressure off him. By all means, post your wads in both threads. Maybe you’ll get two videos! He is perfectly okay with this, by the way.

My General Guidelines

I’m only interested in Doom wads, that is, Doom, Doom 2, TNT, or Plutonia.

I prefer (but do not require) simple/old school. I’d rather not freelook (I’ve usually not had a problem even when it is recommended), use new weapons, or fight new monsters. I do not even bind crouch to a key, and I generally don't play wads that require jumping.

If you specify an exclusive or preferred port, I will probably use it. Generally, I use Crispy, PrBoom+, GZDoom, and sometimes Retro.

I would prefer you give me a rough length and difficulty level so I can plan accordingly. EDIT: My soft maximum length is about three hours.

I will offer some commentary throughout the video.

I intend to do FDAs, but I will probably save sometimes and it’s also possible (unlikely) that you will get a SDA or TDA.

If you quote a post that contains a video, please remove the video from the quote.

So please, post links to your maps!

TABLE OF CONTENTS (links to pertinent post/video)

Reveal hidden contents

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Page 7

Page 8

Page 9

Page 10

Page 11

Page 12

Page 13

Page 14

Page 15

Page 16

Page 17

Page 18

Page 19

Page 20

Page 21

Page 22

Page 23

Page 24

Do it. http://www.doomwadstation.net/bloodworks/bloodworks.html

Glad you liked map20.  It's a favourite of mine, though it is Quite Unfriendly!

And naturally, I enjoyed the many "Good At Doom" rocket to face moments in map 22 :)

@Deadwing

Doomworld forum topic

The design is quite unlike the previous. There’s lots of exploring to do, but it’s not quite as wide open as some of the others because there are different levels connected by stairs and lifts. It’s a really intelligent design, as usual. Monster location is spot on – there’s always a surprise waiting for you, and it’s always perfect for the enemy to have the advantage, forcing you to react, often choosing the lesser of two evils. The only issue I had with this map was too many supplies. There must have been almost ten soulspheres and at least two megaspheres, and that’s not to mention the extreme abundance of cells toward the end. I guess you’re not supposed to run out.

Bottom line: A hectic scramble with lots of serious fighting and lots of supplies

Thaks for continuing my Saturn and map 02 mines !

To the business:

On 10/11/2018 at 3:37 PM, HAK3180 said:

One of your lifts in Map 01 uses a zero tag and the other uses a Boom action, so this wad is decidedly not vanilla compatible. It needs at least Boom. That is why I could not get out. I will do the remaining maps in GZDoom.

Yeah, never thought that polishing this old wad in modern editor will cause so much trouble in vanilla mode. I was wrong. Sorry. Just fixed Saturn description in his thread. And yes - if You can, just play rest of maps in gzdoom. Hope all those silly "sky" glitches gone for good. It works for me.

It’s pretty much all the same height and texture

Yeah I always thought that almost constant height for mines is bad idea, but in DCK (editor in which I"ve made Saturn) era, "playing" with heights was a real pain in the @ss. As for same wall texture - it's just a mines so it was intended to be like that. Just rock/dirt with some addition from time to time.

I do like the story told through the train

I think that "train" is most memorable (and big FAN in area where You finally found some ammo!) part of mines. But in vanilla Saturn was a little different! There wasn't a long road that leads to big hole and "tell story"! It was just a "blocking" line just few metres ahead of train. But today I found it cheap and incomplete so I added those new sectors into train area to feel complete !

Just Look:

Saturn 1.0 train area:

t1.JPG.083867ca149e8d5088c28b7817df742e.JPG

Saturn 2.0 train area

t2).JPG.4b2eac3e5fe9b6aad5e4b7f2a811a0ae.JPG

but this time there’s a pretty severe lack of ammo or at least a distribution that does not lend itself well to how I played the map

Well, Saturn was made to be played "continually". If You started map 02 with zero equipment it may happen. But shouldn't. As You noticed Mines isn't a straight forward map, but You've got many ways to go! Bad thing is that You've choosed worst way to progress hehehe. And missed few secrets that You were really really close to them ! (just a few pixels). Just missed maybe best secret in game (from time to time I think it's little OP). Right here:

t3.jpg.97555ab6b9006319961d567b1914f7cc.jpg

Remember - when You find, empty (wthout key, switch or good item(s)) dead end - there is secret for sure (maybe for 99% ;))

There were also some very remote switches, which meant a lot of running back and forth through the sections that were hard to tell apart.

Yup, even I, when played Saturn after all those years got confused from time to time! But now I know why! Back then in 2000 we havent all around Call of Duty aka self played, one way corridor games with self restorin health. Saturn  is inspired by largest levels from Doom/Quake/Dn3D/Blood/Unreal franchise - and they weren't easy in terms of complacation. Much, much more complicated tha todays FPS!

NOW: You just escaped from mines, as You know it wasn't easy. Now there is a refinerry. Not as dark and creepy as mines. It's a modern structure based on e1m1/quake2 levels. But if You think that You're safer her ? Wrong ! Try to find super secret ! It's fun, cool got same cakes and other stuff. BIG ones! ;)

Edited by MarcinT

Amazing! The level's worked pretty fine except indeed for that archville setpiece. I'll move the megasphere there for another location and make the archies teleport earlier so BFG spam isn't as effective to solve the setpiece :D  I'm glad everything worked fine, especially navigation-related.

3 more levels to go!

@Brad_tilf

download the .zip

It’s short and bloody. The “3d floors” everywhere do create a somewhat unique environment. It’s tight and fairly full of action, but there’s just not really enough here to sink your teeth into.

Bottom line: seems like a trial map/proof of concept

@MarcinT

Doomworld forum topic

It’s just kinda dull. The combat is always monsters right in front of you, often in an obvious camping setting. The rooms are usually somewhat detailed, but it’s mostly rectangles and there’s always one texture that dominates and makes it bland. This one again had too much meaningless backtracking where the map has hardly changed at all and the battles on your way back are insignificant.

Bottom line: I don’t think it will anger you, but it probably won’t really excite you either.

@Capellan

Doomworld forum topic

24 – fun little loop, a little short on health and ammo

25 – very Doom 2-ish and pretty easy, either a BFG spamfest or an infightathon

26 – clever map, nice unprescribed progress, low health and ammo

Bottom line: This is a pretty good trio. I do think the wad suffers at some points from what appears to be an eye on making the map viable for both continuous and pistol start. The difference in 24, for example, would be extreme.

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

It would be rather pistol heavy without secrets, but it’s not hard. It’s straightforward but nice looking with a decent layout to allow some monsters to snipe you a bit. I didn’t like the one secret area that baits you into a damaging floor for no reason. Why can’t there just not be a switch there and the lift action be on the lift itself?

Bottom line: basic opener – nothing too exciting, nothing too bad - makes you want to see more.

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

Although there aren’t a lot of health pickups, this was another simple, straightforward map. I felt for only 11 maps, there should be a little more to it, but I’m not sure if this thing is supposed to turn into more than just the 11. It did look and play well though.

Note: On a very quick replay, I found the fourth secret. It’s a real shame I didn’t come away with it the first time for continuous play. And it’s probably the most obviously marked secret yet...

Bottom line: This also could have been a good opener

@HAK3180 Thanks for playing!

"A couple of unintuitive secrets" says the guy who found all the Map 1 secrets. (And all the Map 2 secrets only on the second go.)

If you can't handle UV without hurting for health pickups, then maybe you should play on an easier difficulty..? Honestly, if you're gonna play UV and you end a map with 9% health, you might want to start that map over and try it again with a little less dumpster diving. HMP is much more forgiving. "How bad can it get?" You might end up really hating this wad if you try to play on UV without being a lot more careful about managing your health.

Anyway, you can expect the maps to get harder but, mostly, not a lot longer.

A handy reference:

- Brown and green slime should always be moderately damaging.

- Lava should always be very damaging.

- Water and blood should never damage you.

@HAK3180

Watched the video.

The starts of the maps are the end of the previous map in episodes 1 and 3, but not in 2 (where the exits are teleporters, instead).

Based on feedback in the playtest thread, continuous play is not the sunshine and roses you imagine it to be :).  The play experience will of course be different (the only way it wouldn't be is if every map started with a megasphere and full ammo that you could never get back to later ... which might actually be the basis for a community project, come to think of it), and overall it will be easier on continuous, but there are different kinds of pressure that you can (and 404 does) apply to a continuous player, mainly in terms of attrition.

MAP24: Infighting is by no means required at the start of the map, though it's certainly an option.  It's quite viable to just leap down into the cave.  Finding the first secret (which you didn't) helps a lot with tactical options, too, though it is also not by any means essential.

MAP25: I'm amused that in a map that's set up to let you go bug nuts with the BFG, you barely used it :)  The plainness of the walls is forced by the 404 line limit, rather than any other considerations.  This is very much a breather map, because it's surrounded by some that are among the toughest levels in the set.

MAP26: the core 'puzzle' of the map is a pretty simple one, all in all, but I'm rather fond of it.  This is one case where the continuous play will almost certainly be a lot more forgiving, since coming into it with a BFG and lots of cells will really help.  You're still gonna need to know how to dodge, though.

Good news!  Map 27 is very friendly and just wants to give you a gentle hug.  No hostility in it at all ...

@meapineapple, my opinion is my opinion and I stand by it. I don’t like the switch in Map 01. I think it can easily lure the player into a damaging floor hat has nothing to gain from entering. You are quite welcome to disagree and disregard this opinion. If I run into too much trouble, I have no problem cheating, restarting, savescumming, whatever. I think I’ve been reasonably honest with my assessments of my own skills rather than claiming anything and everything I fail at “sucks” or is “unfair.”

As for the secrets, I found several of them from random humping rather than working out a hint. Not intuitive is not the same as not simple/easy. If you’re okay with that, great. I’m not even sure how I feel about it - just pointing it out. 

Also, in your “handy reference,” how are you using the word “should”? Are you telling me what you did (or did as best you recall) in this wad? Or are you making general suggestions for all Doom mappers?

@HAK3180 Oh I'm not debating that the switch is misleading. And I'm not defending it. It wasn't actually my intention when I set that up, though after seeing it I think I might leave it in - I confess it's fun to mess with players just a little bit. But if you're playing on UV, you've got to be more careful. Otherwise the wad is just going to be frustrating. If you lose 60% health (or whatever it was) over something dumb like that, I encourage you to load a previous save. Either that or play on an easier difficulty - And I'm not trying to insult your skill, I'd have a hell of a time properly playing through Wyrmwood on UV myself since I try to make UV fun and challenging for players who are more skilled than I am. Which sometimes seems to be most of them.

HMP has more health pickups, and it might make the maps more enjoyable for you. In the Map 2 video you said, "How bad can it get?" Well, it's going to get pretty bad. If you don't turn down the difficulty setting, or you aren't more mindful of how much health you're sacrificing to dumb secrets, then Wyrmwood is going to get very very frustrating. Remember that this isn't a pistol-start wad that gets easier with a continuous play arsenal. This wad is designed to be played continuously - and is designed to be hard on UV. Starting Map 2 with 9% health wasn't a big deal, because the wad starts out pretty easy, but starting practically anything after Map 3 with 9% health on UV would be seriously miserable.

I tried to put both obvious and unobvious secrets in all the maps. It was my hope and expectation that, on a blind run, most players would find around 30%-50% of the secrets. But there is some kind of logic behind all of them, I feel. Even the less obvious ones. Though random humping did get you all the secrets so far, I would point out that all the secrets in maps 1 and 2 are either in areas visible from somewhere else, with some kind of hint as to what wall to hump, or they involve walls that look suspicious for some reason or another, mainly deliberate texture misalignments.

My handy reference is what I did, not necessarily a suggestion for others. If you find any sector that doesn't follow the handy reference, then that means I made a mistake.

@Deadwing

Doomworld forum topic

This is a big one and for the most part it keeps from being confusing, even with a little puzzle here and there. The intricacies of the layout are fantastic. Areas that were once inaccessible become reachable through numerous paths once you “unlock” them. Combat is great as always, with probably a bit too many supplies near the end again.

Bottom line: Quintessential Deadwing done in a really big map

Woah, thanks a lot for going through that behemoth D:

Unfortunately, there was a fair share of navigation problems, but thankfully nothing too serious! You did amazing in that big corridor fight! There are indeed too many resources in that area, but I'll also fix that. I'm also glad that the BK little puzzle wasn't too annoying too!