Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

Another tidy city map with a few details to spice it up. It’s a gimmicky map with “39” enemies, about 80 of which are lost souls. But I think it’s set up pretty well from an ammo and health standpoint, from a maneuverable space standpoint, and from a complementary enemy standpoint.

Bottom line: Some probably won’t like the concept, but I think it’s executed well

13 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@apatuka (check out Map 03 above too)

Doomworld forum topic

This map is fine to look at with a lot more of the CC4 (I believe) textures and features a standard progression with a fair amount of the level opening itself up. And the combat did finally get a lot more challenging. Unfortunately for me, that was entirely due to custom monsters, some of which were basically bosses. I don’t really like a lot of custom monsters, especially bosses, especially bosses whose attributes and stats are not readily obvious. So once I encountered three at once, one of whom did not want to die with what I thought was ~100 plasma rounds, it became a mad dash to the exit for me.

Bottom line: I don’t like it, but that’s almost entirely because of high-powered custom monsters

I forgot to update that map looks like i uploaded the wrong file. Will send you the updated file. My apologize for the mess and thanks for playing!

Edited by apatuka : Update

7 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Another tidy city map with a few details to spice it up. It’s a gimmicky map with “39” enemies, about 80 of which are lost souls. But I think it’s set up pretty well from an ammo and health standpoint, from a maneuverable space standpoint, and from a complementary enemy standpoint.

Bottom line: Some probably won’t like the concept, but I think it’s executed well

"Yeah, 'Lost City'. Now I get it, right? Ha. Ha."

That beautiful moment of realization

Thank you for enjoying my pun map @HAK3180

@xdarkmasterx

(It turns out the other two in this wad are just simplistic little gimmicks or works in progress.)

Doomworld forum topic

It feels like Knee Deep in the Dead and it feels like xdarkmasterx. Visually, it certainly works for vanilla and I only found one point where I kinda thought try harder. Gameplay is fun, always engaging with some moments of difficulty and tension.

Bottom line: a small map with kinda a lot to do and decent variety

@apatuka (I got the latest from the thread; is there another version?)

Doomworld forum topic

The combat is more conventional without as much reliance on high-powered custom monsters. It did, however, seem that most of the challenging combat was when there were those high-powered custom monsters. Other than that, I had a pretty good time. It looks pretty good, but there are still some slightly underdetailed areas and perhaps a slight sense of room after room without much interconnectivity on occasion.

Bottom line: Some really cool ideas in here, some executed better than others. Combat’s still not superb, but it’s not a bad map.

4 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@apatuka (I got the latest from the thread; is there another version?)

Doomworld forum topic

The combat is more conventional without as much reliance on high-powered custom monsters. It did, however, seem that most of the challenging combat was when there were those high-powered custom monsters. Other than that, I had a pretty good time. It looks pretty good, but there are still some slightly underdetailed areas and perhaps a slight sense of room after room without much interconnectivity on occasion.

Bottom line: Some really cool ideas in here, some executed better than others. Combat’s still not superb, but it’s not a bad map.

The password idea was inspired by "Duke Nukem 3D" where you have to put a correct combination of switches to activate something. Glad you like it, and with every level you advance, the more experience i get.

About the version i just uploaded the correct one with many changes. You can download here: http://pnix.info/uac/UACv0.9b-rev3.pk3

You can also download the same link from thread, but just to make there are any cache.

@meapineapple

(This might be slightly different from the latest version)

Doomworld forum topic

I think the very beginning might leave too much up to chance. Other than that, there’s an interesting tension in this map as far as priority: is it the arch-vile or is it killing the former humans as they arrive, lest they overcome you? As a map with so much hitscan, I think more health and/or armor would be suitable, and a couple spots seem just to be filler, but it’s a fun gimmick with a nice looking design.

Bottom line: Again, pretty much one concept in view, but it works.

@HAK3180 Thank you for playing! Now you know how the archvile encounter was supposed to go.

There are still two more city maps after this! And I think the very next one, map04, might be my favorite of the city set. After that come mostly tech maps, and then some hell maps.

You might have recorded this earlier and are already aware, but in case not I wanted to point out that there is a more recent version of Nanopineapple than the one you played, which incidentally included changes to map03. (Fortunately, though, it looks like you didn't run into any major problems this time around, and were really only deprived of a couple of extra secrets and it looks like 3 unteleported enemies.)

@meapineapple, Yeah, seems I was recording it around when you posted the update. Time between play and appearance here is anywhere from 4-48 hours (I usually record and upload in different places) , so this kind of thing does happen occasionally.

I been eyeballing this thread because I like feedback and enjoy seeing how other people adapt to my creations, so I'm requesting that you try out my wad that was submitted for the Vinesauce Doom Mapping Contest (Part 2.)

Some important notes as required by your criteria:

Doom 2 only.

GzDoom 3.4+ Recommended.

OpenGL is recommended due to very limited use of 3d floors.

Freelook and Jump disabled via map.

Singleplayer only, and only Map01 is included.

Difficulty will be moderately difficult and should be played on the default setting. (Hard Mode)

The length of play will be around 30 to 45 minutes playtime if you're playing as I did, if not longer.

Small note: Some posts about the wad was the lack of music, this is intentional at the moment due to removing copyrighted music.

Download Link:

https://www.doomworld.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=44513

Download Mirror Link:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/l7dzbdzrl6nb6v8/Claustrophobic_1_04.zip/file

Doomworld Link:

@apatuka

Doomworld forum topic

The walls are rather bare in this one, but I like the flow of the map. The supplies are much more appropriate in this map, though there may still be too much plasma and not quite enough shells and bullets. The opposition is also much more interesting; it’s not only the custom minibosses that provide some challenge.

Bottom line: kinda cool design with some interesting gameplay; supply balance may be just a little bit off

Heyo! Sparks here again. Since you liked the first iteration of Jaunt decently enough, I figure that you'd probably like this map even better!

@Sparktimus, I'd be glad to give you a video, but just so you know, I definitely played this several months ago. I've probably forgotten a lot, but it wouldn't be a true FDA.

2 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@Sparktimus, I'd be glad to give you a video, but just so you know, I definitely played this several months ago. I've probably forgotten a lot, but it wouldn't be a true FDA.

Oh! My bad then. In that case, you aren't obligated to do it if it doesn't feel right to.

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

A game of ascending. You go up and around to get to the exit and as you do, monsters come. This map does a good job of not really letting you retreat from them and placing them so that the combat is fair and interesting. In particular the pillars and windows really make a difference in this map. I would have liked to see a rocket launcher with just a few rockets to spice things up a bit, but maybe that and a chaingun were in a secret.

Bottom line: Simple little concept done well

@LocalDuck

(I used the idmusxx "cheat" to force several Doom 2 tracks. The map itself has no music at the time of recording.)

Doomworld forum topic

This is a big map. It feature a lot of in game messages to tell you about locks and stuff. So what would have been a wild switch hunt in vanilla ends up working fine. However, I felt a bit overwhelmed at times, like there was always a preliminary objective; sometimes the switch action went several levels deep. That combined with a very slow weapon progress (shotgun for quite a while, finally a chaingun and secret super shotgun, and no plasma or rockets until near the end) made this map a little tedious, and I found myself rushing it a bit. Visually, it seems that every area started with four walls of one texture and the modifications to that are somewhat incomplete. There are nice touches here and there with things, different textures, and geometry, but you certainly can notice the “base texture” of just about every room.

Bottom line: I’m afraid it wears out its welcome before it’s over, but the basic concept is cool and the ending is fun.

Hey, thanks for playing the map. @HAK3180

The comments about the texturing and such are definitely valid as this was a first time map, so it's not my strong suit to give a lot of detail yet but over the course of the two - three week period of development for the map I learned some tricks and began to understand some level of detail. Many cues were taken from The Ultimate Doom for reference on how they stylized their maps and as such I taken a few pages to the how's and why.

The comments about monster HP are true, by default hardmode difficulty raises it by about 25% more, this is intended to increase difficulty and make it a little more ammo consuming and encouraging the player to run around and find items. Difficulty and skill levels were more of an afterthought and it was only really intended for Hardmode to be played.

The comments about weapon placement I can partially agree with, and while you overlooked the rocket launcher I do feel it's an oversight not to give something prior to play with with limited ammo capacity which I hadn't thought of before. I can see it being a tad boring with the same weapon for almost half of the level's length.

The comments about backtracking are completely valid and I should have included an alternative method of leaving certain areas.

The comments about switches, that's an on-going thing that I can't properly give direction with the player for the power/fluid systems and I'm not making it very obvious on what the player should be doing and it's something to take into consideration if I ever make another map. I do feel I could go back and change what they say to better reflect what you're suppose to be doing.

The comment about the boss, all of the map is done through doombuilder and the scripting system for mapping so they're not truly custom and as such I don't think I can disable the archvile from targeting you on teleport but I may have another idea on how to get around that. Valid concern for sure and it is mildly annoying through playtesting to get one shot by them because you didn't know where they were.

The comment about sequences are pretty valid, after watching someone else play the map I can see it being tedious at times and perhaps a more linear style would have been proffered for most players, yet the map was intended for Vinesauce Joel primarily who tends to rush and ignore things when talking during their streams so it's helpful to have them go and do things and not immediately break a bunch of things by advancing too far, but for any other player I can agree that it's an annoyance by itself.

On a sidenote I'm not sure what was going on with that elevator leading down to the toxic areas, I think you bugged it out in a way I never intended but I'm glad it only happened after you were done with the area.

It's always good to have feedback like this and I appreciate you going out of your way to play the map, thanks for everything.

16 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

A game of ascending. You go up and around to get to the exit and as you do, monsters come. This map does a good job of not really letting you retreat from them and placing them so that the combat is fair and interesting. In particular the pillars and windows really make a difference in this map. I would have liked to see a rocket launcher with just a few rockets to spice things up a bit, but maybe that and a chaingun were in a secret.

I'm glad the map was engaging! As always, thank you very much for playing. 

There isn't currently a chaingun secret, but that is an extremely good idea and I intend to add one. Probably no RL, I think that weapon option would make some of the map less interesting, but I will think on it. 

@xdarkmasterx (Don't be deceived; part one is three times as long as part two.)

Part 1

Part 2

Doomworld forum topic

Fresh look by not using stock textures plus a pretty good layout and lots of background detailing make this pretty good to look at, though it does have lots of misalignments and monotony. The beginning is nice and open with a lot to explore and a lot of switches to press. Progress is a little confusing but you just keep going where you haven’t been. One section was a little boring for me because it was nothing but rocket spam for a very long time. That was really the transition point in the map from exploration heavy to combat-oriented. A lot of huge masses make the second half go a lot quicker because you clear hundreds of enemies in just a couple minutes. On easy, nothing about the combat was super interesting, but it was engaging enough and still fairly challenging.

Bottom line: Not your everyday epic map – it definitely has unique touches, mostly visually.

hi thanks for playing it :) it look like i still need to fix some things in this level like the island with no teleporter (and i notice inescapable damage pit right at the end). This level was mostly to learn how to draw textures for me so i get lazy with monster placement and just spam imps and revenants (the first is mostly stock texture and more gameplay focused), so im happy to hear the architecture and textures is good  :), also i did test this level in prboom and i noticed some HOM but i fixed any that i could find, maybe the nodebuilder i used (zennode) caused the issues? i switched to a different one after i noticed homs in my new level

speaking of which i ask you can play this here (hope i havent made too many request. i dont mind if some other maps get they're turn first) https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/103361-dysthanasia/ this level is for vanilla

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yyanjo3vhhf78vm/Hells Compost.wad.wad?dl=0

idk if your still playing em but heres one I made a while back.  Its a fun wad I think based in hell.  350 enemies with plentiful ammo to get through it.  Should maybe take 15- 20 minutes.  Has a good amount of secrets that arent impossible to find and some puzzle solving.  Hope you give it a try!

Also, classic doom rules.  No jumping or crouching or any of that nonsense lol.  It is classic doom stye

@Sparktimus

Doomworld forum topic

Visually, it’s a got a simple elegance to it that works very well: certainly not enough detail to blow you away, but enough to appeal. The gameplay is fun. You always feel like the map is a little empty, yet the encounters are meaningful and engaging, The end is pretty well put together, but still too easy, I think, to rush the exit.

Now I just read my comments from the thread four months ago, and they are sometimes eerily similar to what I came up with now...

Bottom line: great level of polish without anything fancy at all

@apatuka

Doomworld forum topic

Another fun layout with kind of a central hub and paths off of it. Visually, one texture dominated, but it was not the worst choice. I liked the gameplay toward the beginning, but then, once again, high-powered custom monsters took over, and wherever they were, there were also invulnerabilites, so those fights ended up being far too simple. Even if I die a time or two, I don't want it to be a breeze once I find the "right way."

Bottom line: fun progression is halted when Super Doomguy takes over

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

@apatuka

Doomworld forum topic

Another fun layout with kind of a central hub and paths off of it. Visually, one texture dominated, but it was not the worst choice. I liked the gameplay toward the beginning, but then, once again, high-powered custom monsters took over, and wherever they were, there were also invulnerabilites, so those fights ended up being far too simple. Even if I die a time or two, I don't want it to be a breeze once I find the "right way."

Bottom line: fun progression is halted when Super Doomguy takes over

We agree about those powerups, after all the review i decided to remove them most of them and make the fights more challenging but forgot to upload because i got a lot of work to do on my office. Just balanced the amount of power ups and custom monsters. Glad you liked this map, this is by far my favorite after the 3rd one.

Oh okay.  I guess i wasnt early enough to send you the updated copy.  Oh well, I hope the ending didnt give you too much of a hassle.  I redid the ending of it

@Deadwing

Doomworld forum topic

I’m not necessarily sold on Plutonia yet, but it’s definitely Deadwing’s style, which is very meaningful encounters, not a lot of hordes, exploration, and non-linearity. Also Deadwing’s style, and pretty much single potential area of improvement in my opinion, is a somewhat monotonous visual experience that could use a few more textures to break things up.

Bottom line: Quintessential Deadwing on display here

Yeah, I think I'll have to work on improving the texturing for a future project >.<

In this wad, I'll have to figure out a way since I'm working with limited sector number, so I could've get closer to an Iwad experience (also keeping map size limited).

Anyway, awesome playthrough! It was cool how you found both secrets, especially the second one!