Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

After  Jthom's map, I was wondering if you'd play my latest map, Mall of Alexandria. I can't link to it as I am currently using the PS4, but the thread should be easy to find. Make sure to download all of the resources needed with it. 

Have an awesome day, and God bless! 

26 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@obake, sorry but I'm not interested in required freelook and crouch in a long map.

I see. Still, have an excellent day!

@Kore, eh, I don't think so. Perhaps consider this or this. I hate to turn stuff away, but I've been doing this pretty regularly for ten months straight now. Part of the reason I don't burn out is I play mostly things I would have a somewhat reasonable likelihood of eventually playing anyway.

Awesome! Map 11 felt very risky for me with the teleporting mastermind gimmicky, I wasn't sure if people would enjoy it haha I normally kill it before going into the ring area, but letting her alive is an equal valid strategy too. I also tried to make sure in-fighting wouldn't happen so easily >.< (which I guess didn't happen too much).

Anyway, I'm glad you've have enjoyed the mapset! I'll take break and see what I can do for the next batch of episodes. Hopefully, I'll find something to keep the experience fresh, even if I have to distance a bit of the idea of inspiring by plutonia.

Again, thanks a lot for the playthrough :)

@The Mysterious Moustachio (I musta been drunk when I played this because I’m an idiot at the end and I’m really an idiot when I think my settings are off but I really just never got a plasma gun.)

Doomworld forum topic

It’s a good map. I love the city effect in the beginning especially, but that theme never goes away entirely. I think once again the supplies were a little lenient on Ultra-Violence, but the opposition seemed engaging and challenging per se, a bit better than the previous map

Bottom line: This is the kind of stuff that makes vanilla good.

@HAK3180 thanks for playing, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! This was actually my first-ever crack at an Icon map. I wanted to have one in the WAD and I wanted to do something different with it, so it went in MAP32 (i.e. secret/optional) instead of MAP30, and with a formula not quite like those I've seen before. You were right about the conveyors and hidden archviles. If you tried really hard you ought to be able to get a few nazis in a spot were they won't respawn, but it would be too impractical to be worth it, if all you're trying to do is complete the map. I wasn't sure if players would like the map or hate it, especially with it being Babby's First Icon Map, so it's great to see you liked it. 

P.S. Merry Christmas and happy holidays! 

@Jthom

download the .zip

The progression here is strange. There's the one shootable switch situation. In addition to that you just feel like you go through a lot of level that doesn’t really connect. Then you get to a couple rooms that connect wonderfully. I’m not sure how I feel about it. Combat is okay most of the way. I actually like how the first sighting of the arch-vile yellow key room is pretty much a certain death trap and you have to go the other way. But either way, I wasn’t very well equipped to handle it, so the fight went on for quite a while. I do like the concept with the cubbies though.

Bottom line: a little bit crude but serviceable

@HAK3180 Hmmm. I did not anticipate a few things in your run, such as the shootable switch being hard to find and the archvile fight having a lack of weapons. Seeing your gameplay has really revealed some of the flaws in the maps design, and I will definitely have to watch out for those things next time. All in all I would say your feedback has been valuable, and it is appreciated. To be honest I was not thinking a lot about texture usage in this map -- but I suppose it could use some more diversity to change things up a little. I agree it is not as good as my "Hell Complex" map. Anyways, thank you for the feedback, I will be sure to remember it when I am making my next map. 

22 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

You should play Joy of Mapping 6 when it comes out tommorow.

I'll be happy to play your contribution a la carte, but I typically only do maps requested by the mapper him/herself. So in this case the project leader would probably have to request it (or all 50+ mappers) for me to go through the whole megawad.

@DooM_RO

project thread page

The attention to detail in this map seemed somewhat inconsistent, but overall it’s a fine-looking 90s-ish map. I do like the progression. It somewhat hints at being maze-ish, but it’s actually pretty straightforward. I did have question about the one path that didn’t seem to accomplish anything. I thought enemy placement was really good. It’s almost all Doom 1 monsters but you don’t really overuse any one weapon and there’s really not any grind.

Bottom line: It feels both Inferno and DooM_RO.

@HAK3180

Hey! Thanks for playing my map and I am glad you liked it. That first loop is not useless since when you open the door that leads back to the starting area it also opens the door to the lift so it's definitely not useless.

@DooM_RO, ah, I see. I figured it had to be something, just didn't know what. It looks like I didn't notice for three reasons:

1. I don't think I ever tried that door before doing the loop.
  2. I didn't see it also opening when the start room door opened.
  3. The lift itself is also a similar wood texture.

Seems like it would be easy to put the third key at the end of the loop and make that door key-locked, but hopefully people are more attentive than I was.

@xdarkmasterx

Doomworld forum topic

This is a shorter map with features not typical of the mapper including orthogonality almost exclusively, significant effort on some visual detailing elements, linear progression, and a pretty calm start. But it’s all executed pretty well. The end is a big fight, but there’s not a whole lot to the map.

Bottom line: It’s kinda just another map. Nothing really stands out negatively or positively.

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

Just Doom 1 monsters in this one, but that’s all it needs. The strategic placement of sergeants, the fatness of cacodemons, the meatiness of the baron, and the nagging of the imps come together very well to make your life miserable. The map is actually decently detailed, despite being almost all grey.

Bottom line: This is ammo scarcity and tight space done funly.

Thanks for playing, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! I hadn't consciously set out to make a Doom 1 map so it was funny to learn I had done so accidentally. You were right about there being an armor secret, and you were close to realizing where it was... 

FYI the past two nanopineapple videos have had a different audio balance than before, it's been much harder recently to hear your voice over the game audio. 

4 hours ago, meapineapple said:

FYI the past two nanopineapple videos have had a different audio balance than before, it's been much harder recently to hear your voice over the game audio. 

Thanks for mentioning. Yes, that's quite significantly different. I can't remember if anything was different about the circumstances of those two recordings. They happen to be the only PrBoom+s in the last week or so, so that would be the most obvious. I have already recorded your next two and am currently uploading. The raw files are fine. I already deleted the previous raw files, but I just did a quick 30-second video and the raw file was fine and was the same as the uploaded Youtube product. For now I'll hope it was just something like an object blocking the mic or something (It's possible I did those two at the same time or at least consecutively).

@The Mysterious Moustachio

Doomworld forum topic

It’s another beautiful city map with a lot to do, and you can do it in any order. I really enjoyed the vibe in this map and the connected layout where you were constantly choosing a path in a fork such that you eventually see how it all fits together. I thought this one had really good combat, especially early on, but again there comes a point where the combination of so many cells and ubiquitous health pickups make Doomguy very hard to challenge.

Bottom line: Another awesome layout that again has too many supplies, I’m afraid

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

This one doesn’t really have a gimmick; it kinda just feels like a basic Doom map. It’s straightforward, very brown, and unfortunately a little bit dull, as you use the chaingun almost the whole map (though admittedly, the chaingun is probably my least favorite weapon besides the chainsaw, which incidentally is the only other thing you get). The combat is somewhat interesting though. You can kinda sense an ammo shortage so you have to make your shots count and use a bit of infighting. And the room with lots of imps and pillars was pretty cool too.

Bottom line: a plain Jane map with not much weapon variety

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

I like this map a lot. Well, at least I like the layout and the first half or so. I got myself in a situation where the remaining monsters were too strong for what little ammo I had, so I ended up rushing through to exit. Without secrets, it’s a shotguns only map, so I don’t see why it couldn’t have more shells.

Bottom line: Cool, open layout. It manages to be fun, even with only shells…until the shells run out.

There was so much health and ammo that you just.... ignored? You left a bunch of shells in the chaingunner area, and you looked in but never actually went into the caco corridors with helpful pickups at the end. There's also a blue armor secret that's hard to miss if you actually killed the archvile and revenants and look around the room at all, which leads right into a chaingun and berserk secret. I am so ashamed of you today. 

I'm not sure, but I may add a backpack to make the ammo less of an issue. But dang that hurt to watch. 

Thanks for playing, ya dingus. 

@xdarkmasterx (I know I didn’t play the latest version, perhaps not even the second latest)

Doomworld forum topic

The style is nothing new: frantic beginning, three bigger fights somewhere for keys, and an all-3-keys exit. This one looks pretty good and features a fun, interactive, connected design. You’re almost never safe, and at least two of the signature key fights are pretty cool; I’m not too big on the arch-vile spam. The only thing I thought was a little questionable is the early ammo allotment. It seems getting the plasma gun is a game changer, but it’s distinctly toward one of the three keys.

Bottom line: This is xdarkmasterx at his best

Hey, I know ZDoom maps are not really your thing, but would you be interested in playing Scattered Ashes?

Jumping/Crouching/Freelook not required, so I'm hoping you'll give this a shot.

@Lorenz0, yeah, I'll give it a shot. I'm fine with ZDoom; I'm not too into certain aspects of modding that lend themselves more to advanced ports, but if all you wanted were fancier action lines and slopes, no problems at all.

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

Cool little concept: go around and around the bottom level, clearing out the enemies and trying not to die. Then go around the top level, but only once, as you’ll soon reach the exit. There’s a pretty good mix of enemies, especially on the lower circuit. The pacing seems a little off on the top part, as it’s probably very easy to play this “normally” and skip quite a few monsters. From a big picture megawad perspective, no big guns is becoming a little wearisome, but this is a fun map.

Bottom line: lots of monsters in not that big a space. Keep moving and keep shooting.