Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

I really like the gothic look in this map. It doesn’t really have a gimmick, so the visuals seemed to get a little more attention. The combat is nothing special, but it has some cool moments and a few surprises.

Bottom line: a nice breath of fresh air, visually and difficulty-wise. Still no big guns.

@Lorenz0

idgames download page

It’s a small, raised arena surrounded by damaging floor. The gameplay is very gimmicky, involving “resurrecting” turret monsters. There are probably a number of suitable strategies for this map. The one I employed felt a little cheap, but I enjoyed the map nonetheless.

Bottom line: Any way you slice it, you’ve got to act quickly in this gimmicky map

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

Again, no real gameplay gimmick except maybe Inferno homage. It feels like it could almost be an alternate start to E3. I like how this map uses imps, which you don’t normally fear, to casually and deceptively gang up on you.

Bottom line: A rather Doom 1 map with a decent all low-tier enemy count in a short level

@Lorenz0

idgames download page

I love the beginning. It feels like some sort of arcade game. The map is solid throughout, but I think what really makes it is the ever-present threat of the high-HP turret monsters. No matter what part of the map you’re in, you’re liable to pay for leaving them alive.

Bottom line: Gimmicky fun in a very pleasant looking map

@xdarkmasterx

Doomworld forum topic

Again the whole map basically starts accessible, so you collect the keys and then exit. This one had quite a lot of tight space and quite a lot of plasma that I never really used. My favorite part about this one was the look and atmosphere. It’s really just a basic rectangle with several areas off of it, but I think the layout is great.

Bottom line: Tight and challenging

hey, glad u liked the visual and design of the map :) i have some response to your comments in video

-the reason the sky looks so basic is your port has stretched sky, its still simple (solid colours no clouds) but top of the gradient is dark and starry

-this is old version of map, where i forgot to tag the secrets (in latest version i still forgot to tag one >_<), also i made the doorway to garden less cramped and fixed a trap that doesnt open (untagged door)

-yeah the cyberdemon could use some work still, i didnt think of using monster block lines thats a nice idea )

thanks for playing it! :)

@meapineapple (this will be the last with the old version)

Doomworld forum topic

Short of removing the player’s pistol and 50 bullets, this is as close to plasma gun only as you can get. It maintains a challenge all the way through in some very different ways, changing up the pace significantly throughout.

Bottom line: I hope you like the plasma gun.

The secret you missed was in fact a rocket launcher. I was surprised that you missed it, especially after you got the less obvious armor secret. 

Maybe your almost-run would have ended up with enough ammo to kill everything if you hadn't burned so much plasma just shooting at the walls...

Thanks for playing! 

2 hours ago, meapineapple said:

Maybe your almost-run would have ended up with enough ammo to kill everything if you hadn't burned so much plasma just shooting at the walls...

Right, I'll turn on the hitscan option next time.

@cambreaKer

Doomworld forum topic

This map has a lot going on. It seems to try to do to many little concepts, so that you end up going from space to space with distinct breaks, both visually and conceptually. It gets wearisome, like you’re playing a dozen or so very small levels, rather than one cohesive/thematic map. That being said, I liked the look of most of those areas. There are nice, realistic touches and little details that give this map a simple charm. Speaking of simple, the combat was bit dull. Some areas are just too empty. Others are open door, shoot monsters situations. Still, it’s usually not boring or grindy so that you want to skip it. It just could use quite a bit more challenge and engagement.

Bottom line: lots of good ideas, a little too long and a little too easy

@Lorenz0

idgames download page

This map features a lot of symmetry, but not really of the contrived or annoying type. The map has a simple elegance that is adorned by some nice little details. The gameplay is probably the weakest yet in the wad, being somewhat grindy sometimes and bordering on trite other times, but it’s got a fun little start and it still has engaging moments.

Bottom line: Fun to look at, slightly less fun to play

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

Pretty basic hellish design that works pretty well with the intense fights here. This is another map where I appreciate the attention to ammo required. I really don’t like maps in which for all intents and purposes you have infinite BFG shots. There are also a few quiet moments in this map but no doors or obvious transitions from place to place, so it still has a nice cohesive feel of all one big fight.

Bottom line: The pineapple goes slaughter!

@Lorenz0

idgames download page

This one feels kinda task-oriented with three basic fights that are all different enough and engaging enough. Visually, it’s clean and more symmetric than the name would perhaps suggest, perhaps a wee bit too much on the “safe” side.

Bottom line: Another pleasant looking map with a few quick, unique chores

11 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Pretty basic hellish design that works pretty well with the intense fights here. This is another map where I appreciate the attention to ammo required. I really don’t like maps in which for all intents and purposes you have infinite BFG shots. There are also a few quiet moments in this map but no doors or obvious transitions from place to place, so it still has a nice cohesive feel of all one big fight.

Bottom line: The pineapple goes slaughter!

I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I don't make many slaughter maps but, when I do, I try to make sure the level demands more from the player than just mindless running and shooting. You were right about the early megasphere secret requiring an archvile boost. The other secret in the map requires an archvile boost, too, but it's less obvious and a little harder to get to.

23 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Right, I'll turn on the hitscan option next time.

I don't actually know what you mean by this?

I test the ammo balance of my maps pretty thoroughly. With a very few deliberate exceptions (like, two, in Nanopineapple, and you'll know them when you see them) there should always be enough to kill everything on UV, assuming no secrets and no big infighting effort, with at least a little bit of ammo still left over. Some maps are more generous than others, and Map 31 in particular will be vicious without decent routing, but there should always be enough.

I've noticed that you have a habit of holding down the fire button while moving the gun from one target to another, especially in more frantic fights, and especially with chaingun or plasma. It really affected your Map 22 playthrough because of how much extra plasma ammo was consumed.

And that's totally normal play! I seriously enjoy it when my maps are intense and involving enough that a player loses focus on optimal play and is just trying to not die. So I'm not trying to criticize you. But it can be unpleasant to see you running low on ammo and then blaming me/the map for not providing enough of it. Though HMP and HNTR give you ammo to burn, UV is supposed to be more challenging. It doesn't usually give you much more than you really need. If you're running that low on ammo, it's usually because you missed some pickups or because you used more ammo than I did while testing.

Regardless though, thank you again for playing. I apologize if my comment about plasma ammo came across badly.

Hey there, dude. That's my simple map, but have some challenges. I would like to know your reaction on it, because unfortunately very few people appreciated this wad.

@meapineapple, I had recalled you asking me to play on Ultra-Violence. You had actually said "I think you will most enjoy them on UV," but close enough, I guess. There are pros and cons of FDA feedback. The pros are pretty obvious. One potential con (and potential pro) is that I can only render feedback on that one experience. What I might do in a second run or how much more/less I like the map after multiple plays is irrelevant to the FDA. You know the maps through and through. It's very unlikely that you'll miss pickups unless you do so intentionally. Players who didn't make the map are much more likely to miss things the mapper thinks are obvious and forget things that the mapper would remember. In fact, just watching instead of playing makes you notice much more. (I once saw a video of someone playing my map and he eventually questioned where the chaingun was, even though it had earlier been on his screen for ~10 seconds) So I think it is valid for me to comment based on what I experienced. And my opinion is that it is in most cases more fun not to have to worry so much about ammo or revisit lots of old areas for pickups, especially maps with mostly or all shells and bullets. Plasma only is more difficult because you don't want them to be able to spam endlessly. I appreciate that. That's why I wasn't harping on the issue this time; I really only briefly mentioned it and not at all in the written comments. If your answer to that is "switch difficulty" or "git gud," fine. And maybe I should mention the difficulty more often. I generally don't on Ultra-Violence; I do sometimes if I'm on easy or medium, but I have to comment on what I'm playing. My comments are my opinion only. I try to use phrases like "I like/don't like" and "I think it should..." rather than "This is wrong/incorrect." I don't think I'm unfairly representing your maps because everything I say is essentially evidence-based, so if they watch the Castle Olivine video and determine I wasted too much ammo, then they will, as you should, disregard my comment about "almost enough ammo." Likewise if they think I'm super awesome and efficient, they will say to themselves, "Almost enough? Yeah, right! Not even close!" 

@meapineapple (Remember, I often play these as much as a few days before they end up here)

Doomworld forum topic

There’s a lot going on with a low monster count, probably because so many are mid-tiers. This map has a skillful use of arch-viles, damaging floors, and forced decision making.

Bottom line: Great hell map – one of my favorites in the wad

@Lorenz0

idgames download page

It’s got a creepy aura and some nice green visual touches. The gameplay is a lot of running through the level and doesn’t really feel rewarding. There doesn’t seem to be a point in killing anything but two arch-viles.

Bottom line: Seems like the atmosphere is spot on but the gameplay doesn’t really follow

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on my maps, now I definitely see where the gameplay feels lackluster, like in the first half of map04, or here in 06. I kinda took advantage of the fact that this is a speedmapping project, and implemented a few abstract concepts I wouldn't ever do in a more serious project, and some of them fell a bit flat.

Anyway, I appreciate your commentary, and I'm excited to see how you'll feel about the last few levels.

@MAN_WITH_GUN

Doomworld forum topic

I wouldn’t want a steady diet of these kinds of maps, but it seems to accomplish what it desires: it has some gimmicks and traps, some of which you will unlikely survive or triumph over the first time. But the situations seem pretty well thought out in general. It’s also a pretty good looking map with a beautiful, though perhaps unfitting, view at the beginning.

Bottom line: Gimmicky, trappy, but pretty well designed.

55 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@MAN_WITH_GUN

Doomworld forum topic

I wouldn’t want a steady diet of these kinds of maps, but it seems to accomplish what it desires: it has some gimmicks and traps, some of which you will unlikely survive or triumph over the first time. But the situations seem pretty well thought out in general. It’s also a pretty good looking map with a beautiful, though perhaps unfitting, view at the beginning.

Bottom line: Gimmicky, trappy, but pretty well designed.

Thanks for playing, enjoyed this video so far! This map have a really tricky gameplay, so before to start shooting you must think a little bit - where the monsters will come to get you, how you'll get them all without lost so many health and ect. Yep, pretty tactic-map :D

It is also a pity that you could not look at the next map in this wad, which was the final one with the firm logo "FF" (Fear Factor) :P

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

This is a very tall map and doesn’t have a lot of detail, but it manages to look pretty good and has a great layout. From the few former humans who can become the biggest threat if you’re low on health to the far away cyberdemons, you can tell that this map is designed for gameplay. The height changes everywhere and the damaging floor add great dynamics.

Bottom line: This is a very environmentally interactive map, lots of fun

Thanks for playing, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! 

I'm just over here pleading with past you to realize that all the rockets before the key are saying "hey you better go get the rocket launcher first and if you don't it's gonna be curtains for you", but you die and reload and trigger the ambush again and die and reload, ad nauseum, because of course going back to look around the map a bit more and become more prepared for the big fight is unthinkable when that shiny yellow key sits right there in front of you. 

But you did still have fun, and I guess that's what really matters. 

6 hours ago, meapineapple said:

...but you die and reload and trigger the ambush again and die and reload, ad nauseum, because of course going back to look around the map a bit more and become more prepared for the big fight is unthinkable when that shiny yellow key sits right there in front of you.

Yes, such deliberate utilization of hindsight is unthinkable unless/until I deem it will be unreasonably hard to pull off or unreasonably boring (or nauseating) to watch. If watching the same basic content numerous times makes you sick, I suggest increasing the playback speed. I have also cut death runs before and/or noted when the successful one starts, but I've been lazy lately.