Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

@xdarkmasterx

Doomworld forum topic

It’s a good one. Nice detail supplements another stellar layout. The only issue I have with appearance is some of the “natural” textures are used on orthogonal lines – doesn’t seem to fit. Gameplay is great as usual – really well thought encounters throughout after a particularly tense start. xdarkmasterx has a way of making challenging encounters creative and fun.

Bottom line: Nothing new for the mapper – just continued polish on a great style

@Doomkid

idgames download page

I sorta like these kinds of projects that give you the good old days with a little twist or a little modernization. So we get some different textures, monsters, and weapons, but the core gameplay seems quite intact. The map itself was a solid opener, short and sweet, with a nice tried and true progression. I thought the first switch was rather strange, and the final switch seemed superfluous, since it coincides with the blue key.

Bottom line: It does what the opener should do.

hey @HAK3180

i was just thinking about creating a new set these days so i made one map, no custom monsters, no strange progression, no Djinn. Just a stupid map i made, please note that i still don't know if to go on and that this is just a random map made for fun. Play it if you like and i would be happy to get my insults (some months since i restarted mapping and i already forgot everything i learned lol)

Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cq56dllpfaska2u/TOD1.0.wad?dl=1

Edited by Zolgia108

@Doomkid

idgames download page

It picks up where we left off. It’s still a short and easy tech base with a connected layout, but it introduces a couple more monsters and poses a little more threat. The only thing I’m concerned about is if these levels stay on this rate of incline for size and difficulty, with only 11, we could leave feeling a bit unsatisfied, but I don’t think that will happen. I’m sure there will be a steep incline soon.

Bottom line: another strong layout with a little more opposition

@Doomkid

idgames download page

Still pretty short and simple, still introducing monsters. There were again a couple minor points of progression that weren’t obvious to me, including the blue switch but the overall layout is good. It’s actually a bit deceptive because you feel like you see pretty much the whole map from the start, but there’s more to it. I had no issues with the combat – there were some nice surprises.

Bottom line: Doomkid is not really gonna give you anything newsworthy, but there will always be quality.

@Doomkid

idgames download page

It’s called the Filter, but it almost serves more as a filler, and I don’t really mean that negatively, but there’s nothing new here except a few textures, which of course, anyone playing this has basically seen before, and the rocket launcher, but there’s no extra ammo or real use for it. It’s still short and sweet and still a good map, but it just feels like at this point something is missing, this being Map 4 of 10.

Bottom line: Another solid short map that I think loses a little something by its context within its mapset

Man, I didn’t realise just how easy “hard” is. I removed just a few enemies but watching this, they were placed in such a way that really increases challenge and without them it becomes a total breeze!

I was going for a “cute, bite sized” type deal for the first half of the wad but it really could have used just a tad more opposition.

On map03, the blue key is a secret area. The switch makes a soul sphere available in the start room. On map04, you can get blue armour by pushing on the dark wall in the nukage, in the blue key door.

Looking forward to the rest!

@Doomkid

idgames download page

This one is noticeably less linear than the previous maps. All of them had great layouts and monster placement, but this time there’s less guidance on where to go. I really like the visuals in this one and the theme of indoor/outdoor. My only complaint is that there’s way too much plasma.

Bottom line: My favorite one so far

@Zolgia108

download the .wad

It definitely reminds me of Djinn with the color scheme and just something about the gameplay, but it didn’t have any custom monsters or puzzling progression. As such, I enjoyed it. You had to pay some attention to your ammo balance. You had to maneuver a bit. You had to prioritize. It seems like some thought went into the encounters. If this is the start of a new set, I’d say it’s a solid one.

Bottom line: Seems like making Djinn served as a good mapping learning experience.

thank you dear hak i really appreciate your thoughts as usual!

I think i will remove the hidden flag on that area cause with dim light it may frustrate a bit the player, i mean it's not that clear that you need to go through the bloodfall, especially when you can't see the bloodfall at all! Final area is a little too obvious with the switches i guess, but i am not sure on how to improve it.

Yes i am working on a new project, i will have less time than before so it will take more, it will have that creepiness of Djinn (ofc that's my "style" i guess) but i will go on a more conventional way as you noticed, with no custom monsters or maybe just a few (crackodemon anyone? i love it i would never cut it). I am not sure if this will be the first map as it would be maybe too hard for a starter, what do you think? Anyways, i am working on map2, it is big and it is open, when it'll be ready i'll surely tell you, thanks a lot!

@Zolgia108, Yeah, if you want to do any sort of conventional gradual incline of difficulty, and if you plan on 15+ levels, then this is probably too much for an opener. But let's not forget Congo. Plutonia maps are all over the place in length and difficulty, so that's certainly a legitimate style too.

I agree that the bloodfall could be a little more obvious since it is necessary. I was positive I was discovering a secret.

@MAN_WITH_GUN

Doomworld forum topic

This map has a creepy tone that fits the gameplay, which is a sort of ammo shortage that manages not to annoy me too much. I think one big gun early with delayed significant ammo would be good, but at least many monsters are skippable, so even when you have no ammo, there’s a path to success. Visually, this is really good for the short time put into it. It really sells the cave experience. Perhaps the only thing missing is a little more light variety – a small spot or two of extreme darkness might be in order.

Bottom line: Good speedmap with great visuals and stingy but not so annoying combat

Thanks for playing! I am glad that you liked this map :) You would not believe it, but these 2 secrets were very close to each other and were only in one place. In one of them was the weapon that would have removed this disbalance in the map - the plasma gun, and it was not so difficult to find it, surprised that you don't tried to find the secrets on this map. I killed a lot of time for detailing and other things, remembered the gameplay at the last hour, put the monsters right, but didn't put enough ammo ("._.)
By the way, why don't you use PrBoom plus? (I always test my wads in this port btw) A map like mine with this renderer make a nice shadows or does your program not record this port? 🤔

@MAN_WITH_GUN, I will always use the specified port. In this case, it just said "Boom." In such cases I'll often choose Gl or over Pr.

@Malefication, You submitted at a bad time. I'll get to it, but at earliest it will be up Sunday afternoon (UTC-400).

Edited by HAK3180 : wrong word

@Doomkid

idgames download page

This map gets a little more hordey on you. The combat is still somewhat incidental, but it’s mostly small hordes of monsters that get released at trigger points. That sounds paradoxical, but you don't really feel like the encounters are traps. It’s all well thought. I like how sniping enemies early could reward you later if you can get through the early parts having spent that ammo already. The layout here is really cool. You can again see almost everything from the start, and then you end up right back near the start.

Bottom line: difficulty picks up; still having fun

When you have the time, @HAK3180, I've got two more Interception II maps. I told myself the last two would be it... but it's just so much fun watching you review them!

• MAP09: "Belly of the Beast" by The Mysterious Moustachio, stewboy, Pegleg, NuclearPotato, & DerFurer'sFace
  • MAP18: "Murder Mountain Mayhem" by General Rainbow Bacon and DerFurer'sFace

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xncpoycjti1ckqo/interce2_M09-M18.zip?dl=0

@Malefication

Doomworld forum topic

It’s pretty obvious that this is early in a map career, but I think it’s a good start. You can tell that some thought has gone into the monster encounters, even if most of them are easy. What they’re usually not is totally simplistic or mindless. And the overall flow of the map was solid. Right away you could see three locked doors and some currently inaccessible areas. Unfortunately, it’s not very good visually. The walls, ceilings, and floors are monotonous and flat. There are misalignments and rough transitions and almost no lighting detail. But these are things that come with experience. A lot of beginner-ish maps are not really even “savable”; I think this one definitely is.

Bottom line: I think the most promise shown is in the layout

@Doomkid

idgames download page

We’re not messing around anymore. This is by no means slaughter or even full of powerful monsters or numerous monsters, but it packs a punch, and it’s accomplished mostly through the equipment given up (somewhat scarce at first) and heady monster placement. This map seems to have a whole secret route with the blue key, which I failed. Visually, in an age of slopes, 3d bridges, and extravagant detail, Doomkid manages to make you forget that you’re playing a game that yields to vanilla demands.

Bottom line: I wish I could be more specific, but this is just good vanilla mapping

HEY @HAK3180

Here is the second map (not in terms of progression i guess) that i made for the new set. (map02 in the wad for now)

Some stuff to say about it:

1) i took one of the sectors that i've added in my odyssey of noises "remake", so since you alread played it you will remember it, sorry for that

2) it's an hard map and i don't know if it's well balanced, both me and my brother completed uvmax but dying a lot of fucking times so yea it may be frustrating please don't hate me :(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uz89o37gkb16uw1/happy0.2.wad?dl=1

thank you in advance :)

@Doomkid

idgames download page

This one lets you know early that it’s no picnic, and the early impression is spot on. It’s got an efficient challenge to it all the way through. When you’re done, you feel like you’ve slain much more than just <200 monsters. I like the ammo management throughout. It seems you’re supposed to use the chaingun more than I normally am inclined to, but you’re also given just the right number of rockets and cells. It’s there for you, but don’t waste it. Layout is excellent as usual. I haven’t fallen in love with the texture set, but it adds character.

Bottom line: Compact, cohesive, and challenging

@The Mysterious Moustachio, @stewboy, @Pegleg, @NuclearPotato, @DerFurer'sFace

Doomworld forum topic (project)

This map doesn’t really throw anything too unique at you in terms of concept or appearance until the very end, but it’s another enjoyable map at a certainly manageable difficulty. The path is somewhat guided, but you still get a sense of exploration as you encounter locked doors, bars, etc. I appreciated the terror invoked early on by the sound of the arch-viles, the fights with whom were rather delayed. The combat in general was really good. Nothing ever felt like it was going to be too hard, but there were still some sticky moments (and deaths for me).

Bottom line: seems to be playing it safe as far as audience/accessibility, but that doesn’t take away from how well done it is (and with it, seemingly, the whole wad)

@The Mysterious Moustachio, @General Rainbow Bacon, @DerFurer'sFace

Doomworld forum topic (project)

I find the quality of this map to be inconsistent. The beginning, both from a visual and gameplay perspective, made me think this would be one of the best. And the appearance stays great throughout. But a lot of the combat just seems simplistic: pain elementals used in ineffective situations, lack of roaming monsters, a Spider Mastermind you almost feel bad for, static corridor encounters. It feels like this map is halfway through a process to update all the combat and some parts haven’t been addressed yet, but some have. There are definitely some good encounters too. The progression also left me confused a few times. Having multiple uses for the keys didn’t really work for me. There were times I didn’t know what to do next and times I didn’t know what a switch did. I think this map could easily become really good, because it definitely has character, but right now it’s not up to the standard that this project has set with the other maps in it I’ve played.

Bottom line: A lot of fun to look at. A little bit less fun to play

@HAK3180 Thank you for reviewing our maps, As for Map18 "Murder Mountain Mayhem" was just updated by me so it has not had any playtesting before you, and I appreciate the feedback, I can take another look at it soon or have @The Mysterious Moustachio try and make some edits. I'll watch the video you posted. Hopefully clear up some of the inconsistencies and less enjoyable parts of the map.

Also the elevator should always lower, not sure why it didn't, i'll address that. As well as the red key bars, both were oversight on the map developer and me as the detailer/cleanup guy

Edited by DerFurer'sFace

3 hours ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

I might go back and redo some of the gameplay for Murder Mountain.  It might have been better gameplay wise before it was detailed.

Consider making the arachnotron and all the monsters in that room teleport in after you pass that room up and are staring down the Baron of Hell in the tight hall. That would probably remedy all your gameplay woes honestly (I really love the gameplay btw).

Edited by Mk7_Centipede