Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

Folks, please do not quote videos. It's easy enough just to delete the video from the quote or to use the "quote selection" feature. If at any point you see one by yourself, please just click the edit button and delete the video.

@Milkman

Doomworld forum topic

The idea is simple: hub + 3 keys and final area. Each area is inspired by and includes part of (an) actual Doom 1 level(s). They may be a little too close to the originals, but I can’t be certain of that. Either way, it’s a cool concept. I’m not sure about the hub balance. The order is obviously suggested to you, but if the rocket launcher path is going to leave you screwed why even offer the choice? Overall, I think the ammo balance could use work. Rockets are scarce, but meaty monsters are not. And I never found a plasma gun, though I accumulated 140 cells and did get 60% secrets.

Bottom line: a hub map of Doom 1 tributes

@Capellan

Doomworld forum topic

This still pretty much feels like a good take on a tech base, though the power plant feel is definitely there. But I don’t see anything here that’s groundbreaking and I certainly don’t see anything I dislike

Bottom line: It’s actually a pretty immersive/atmospheric power plant

@Archie550

download the .zip

I like the thematic look throughout. It’s a library, but it still looks nice and has some character. The enemies make good use of the space. The map tends to feel easier than it is – there’s some bite here.

Bottom line: Of the few of these I’ve played, this one seems to capture the essence of Plutonia best

@The Mysterious Moustachio

Doomworld forum topic (project)

This is a harder one. That’s okay. It has a fun layout wherein you can run freely in parts and you are in close quarters in parts. That’s great. What's not so great is the supplies. I just could not get myself in decent position in the beginning. Health was probably fine, but the map seemed to assume tons of infighting or barreling. I left a lot alive and still struggled to maintain ammo.

Bottom line: Fun map that has too little ammo for my liking

@Steve D

idgames download page

There may be a little much symmetry, but there’s a lot of nice detail. The critical path seems pretty basic, but you would be rewarded with more gameplay if you hunt down more secrets than the 1/7 I came up with. These maps are all part of one big system, so there are shared locations and views of other maps. One cannot fully appreciate that in the opener, obviously, so I think it will be fun to see what’s next.

Bottom line: It’s a tech base. I think the set will become a lot more interesting the more maps in.

4 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@Archie550

download the .zip

Bottom line: Of the few of these I’ve played, this one seems to capture the essence of Plutonia best

Thanks for playing! I feel like I should clarify something here. I'm not trying to capture the essenve of plutonia necessarily. the only reason im using plutonia iwad is because it has better textures and i wanted to use primarily stock textures

@Magicana

Doomworld forum topic

Caves are hard to do well. They depend on good lighting, a lot of random “architecture” that drives the gameplay, and enough landmarking not to be just a crapyrinth. I thought this cave map felt too manmade. The lines were clean. Many angles were right. There wasn’t much floor or ceiling height variation. I understand it was to be a mine, so some human influence is expected, but I feel like this could be retextured and be fine as a tech base without any redrawing of geometry. The gameplay was weird. It had a number of light slaughter-ish ambushes, but they just felt imposed into the situation. It felt like cheap difficulty, rather than doing interesting things with the space and creating tough priority struggles. There was some good here. Progression works; there’s some looping and light backtracking. And I found some of the traps fun as is, like the double imp ledge + demon.

Bottom line: My impression is that the mapper should try to find something somewhat specific to focus on for a while.

@Chris Hansen

Doomworld forum topic

This map has a smooth incline of difficulty throughout from a few imps and humans to cacodemons, lost souls, and barons, to a fierce finale.  Not everyone likes the weapons coming in gradually, but if you do, it’s done very well here. Once you get bored with shotgun-chaingun, there’s your rocket launcher. Same with plasma gun. Layout is fun. One minor complaint is that I think the map could use another key because most of the map is essentially the red key quest and you almost forget about it by the time you get it.

Bottom line: Fun map with progressive difficulty

Thanks @HAK3180! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Again, a pleasure watching you play the level and listening to your commentary. I can see what you mean about the long quest to get the red key, but it's the mission: Get the red key that unlocks the "evil basement" where you must kill the evil, lurking Cybie brothers! They must never release their new album "The doomguy and me"!

And yes, the colors are different in Gore. I used a custom palette. I really hate the look of Doom on my LCD monitor. Just too bright or something... I don't know. I like this version where it's a bit darker. Not entirely like the good old days, but better for the eyes imho.

@HAK3180 do you accept maps with deep water and only set of 3d floors? The second map for my wad uses both so I'm just wondering.

5 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Doomworld forum topic

Caves are hard to do well. They depend on good lighting, a lot of random “architecture” that drives the gameplay, and enough landmarking not to be just a crapyrinth. I thought this cave map felt too manmade. The lines were clean. Many angles were right. There wasn’t much floor or ceiling height variation. I understand it was to be a mine, so some human influence is expected, but I feel like this could be retextured and be fine as a tech base without any redrawing of geometry. The gameplay was weird. It had a number of light slaughter-ish ambushes, but they just felt imposed into the situation. It felt like cheap difficulty, rather than doing interesting things with the space and creating tough priority struggles. There was some good here. Progression works; there’s some looping and light backtracking. And I found some of the traps fun as is, like the double imp ledge + demon.

Bottom line: My impression is that the mapper should try to find something somewhat specific to focus on for a while.

Lot of fair comments in this. Even in my thread I said I knew something was wrong with it, but not quite what. I was in two minds about ever releasing it, and with some of the detailing work and extra encounters I had planned, I couldn't even bring myself to do it.

The main thing I'm disappointed with is you were so close to the secret in the opening room but you just missed it (Walk-through wall).

image.png.a480c7c9d7e2524f8749b1d7807e99f7.png

What does make me happy is the encounter I was most proud of was when the lights turn on and the imps pop up - So people enjoying that is good.

Thanks for the video as always :).

Edited by Magicana

@Rhebiz, 3d floors are not a problem. Deep water probably wouldn't alter my entire mindset of navigating height changes, so I could maybe live with some deep water if it's not a pivotal aspect of the map.

I didn't have a chance to watch the "Powerplant" video this morning but I will check it out tonight.

2 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@Rhebiz, 3d floors are not a problem. Deep water probably wouldn't alter my entire mindset of navigating height changes, so I could maybe live with some deep water if it's not a pivotal aspect of the map.

It appears in 3 sectors, all in the same room. And you only have to go in one of them. The water is deep but since you exit through a broken pipe in the first map you continue in the pipe at the start of the second map You just have to get out and you dont have to be in the pool for long.

6 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

There may be a little much symmetry, but there’s a lot of nice detail. The critical path seems pretty basic, but you would be rewarded with more gameplay if you hunt down more secrets than the 1/7 I came up with. These maps are all part of one big system, so there are shared locations and views of other maps. One cannot fully appreciate that in the opener, obviously, so I think it will be fun to see what’s next.

Bottom line: It’s a tech base. I think the set will become a lot more interesting the more maps in.

Thanks for the playthrough, HAK3180, and wow, are you busy today!!!!

With the exception of M7, 8 and 9, these are all '90s maps, so you won't see flowy, interconnected layouts like the Amiga Demo Party maps, though there are optional side paths and of course the secret quests, which in some cases connect areas once you find them. 

One thing I regret is putting in all that meat at the end -- where the Cacos arrive. Originally, there was only 1 Caco and zero Lost Souls. I added the extra meat because playtesters kept killing the Cyb and I wanted to prevent them from doing that, so the meat is there to drain your ammo. In the end it didn't really work, because Doom Gods found all the secrets, grabbed all that secret ammo, and had enough left to kill the Cyb anyway. That's what I get for trying to be a control freak! :D For most players, I think it just makes things a trifle sloggy. If I ever incorporate this episode into a megawad, I'll get rid of at least 2 Cacos and probably all the Pinkies.

Just as a heads up, M5, 6 and 7 are quite large adventure/exploration type maps. Relatively frequent saves recommended.

I look forward to watching your playthrough of Gore E1M2. Fantastic map.

@RonnieJamesDiner, I'm happy to do full sets. Just realize that I won't play all your maps immediately. Basically I play Map 01 and then if there are more, I put Map 02 at the end of the queue. When I finish Map 02, Map 03 goes to the end of the queue. And so on. Exceptions do happen for really short maps and sometimes other reasons. At the moment I'm being nuclearly bombarded by requests (it's all good), so it will take some time to get through sets. 

Hi there @HAK3180!

I just finished my 4th map for my mappack. I would suggest you to skip the other 2 maps for now because I will update them with the advice you and others gave me. 

But this one is complete. I've even put the Original music in there as well because you said you dig that a bit more. So you can choose. I just need to reduce the WAD fule sizes because I used other formats for the music rather than MIDI.

I hope you like this one, personally its my best map I made :)

Note: 

There's also a Automap in the zip with all the secrets, but don't spoil yourself too much.

Difficulty is a bit more intense this time.

Tested with GZdoom.

No jumping or croutching.

Free look is allowed.

Cheers!

Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1q2xdwvjq15oa9e/Doom - Condemned To Eternity - MAP04.rar?dl=0

@Casketkrusher, I'll skip Map 03 then, but 2 is being uploaded as we speak. I usually record and upload in different places, so my activity on here is generally 6-24 hours behind real life.

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

At the moment I'm being nuclearly bombarded by requests (it's all good), so it will take some time to get through sets. 

LOL sounds aggressive, I love it. Rush hour on WAD boulevard. It's all good though, you can honestly keep these at the bottom of the queue if you want, and whenever you've got some extra time. Thought I'd just throw my 10 Levels/10 Monsters WAD your way, I've really enjoyed the other FDA's I've received for them, but as I'm in the process of making a second set, the more playtests I can get the better.

Download can be found here (it's Mediafire, hope that's alright)

10 levels, each with only 10 monsters (just wanted to see what I could conjure with the limitation). For the Doom 2 IWAD (map slots 01-10), has been tested with PrBoom+ and GZDoom. No crouching/jumping.  

@EtherBot

download the .zip

This whole thing seems like a rushed concept that could have worked much better. The levels are gimmicky and unique, but usually not well polished at all. Highlights of the last 10 would be 22, 29, and 30.

Bottom line: Props for some of the ideas; execution is pretty lazy throughout

12 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

This is a harder one. That’s okay. It has a fun layout wherein you can run freely in parts and you are in close quarters in parts. That’s great. What's not so great is the supplies. I just could not get myself in decent position in the beginning. Health was probably fine, but the map seemed to assume tons of infighting or barreling. I left a lot alive and still struggled to maintain ammo.

Bottom line: Fun map that has too little ammo for my liking

@The Mysterious Moustachio, it left a bitter taste in my mouth that an Interception II map had left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth when they have consistently been of such quality, so I replayed this thing. I still have to say, the very beginning is pretty brutal on ammo (still never even considered killing the arachnotron), but after that, I took a slightly different route, encouraged a tad more infighting, and didn't make the idiot mistake I made in the video at ~21:50. And that alone made a huge difference.

14 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Bottom line: It’s actually a pretty immersive/atmospheric power plant

Managed to watch this in my lunch break.  Got significant entertainment from seeing you look straight at secrets and then blithely walk away :)

How the LS horde plays out depends on how thoroughly you clear the map beforehand.   (Also, filling the reactor with guys who are on fire amuses me)

Can't wait to see how you respond to M3.  It's not a friendly place!

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

Some people emulate the Knee-Deep in the Dead style very well. This mapper is among them, but the gameplay is heightened to account for the quarter-century skill gap between itself and Doom 1. So you get nostalgia without familiarity or too much ease.

Bottom line: easy but engaging

@HAK3180 It makes sense to me why the map felt hugely different from my other Interception II maps. I mainly went into making it with a completely different mindset. I focused a lot more on challenge than fun.

Anytime I would get to a point in the level that would frustrate me, I'd leave it in because I was trying to make the hardest map possible. It was a good experiment for me, but I think I'm going to have to rebalance the map regardless.

On another note, I have no clue what to do about Map07. I think I'll have to make it easier because it can't move to a different slot.