Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

@Doomkid

Doomworld forum topic

Very grey again, but this is a fun map. Nice large opening area that hints at most of the rest of the map, including the exit, and allows you to kill some enemies “ahead of time.” The progression is linear, as most of these maps have been, but the combat is pretty interesting. It’s not tons of traps, just nice interaction of monsters with space, like the arch-vile room and inside the red key room. Once again, a ton of plasma.

Bottom line: Fun layout to a linear map. Not too hard, but nothing boring.

@xdarkmasterx, the map looks nice, but given your usual style and the monster count, I'm going to pass on this one. An FDA would probably be hundreds of saves and several hours. A watchable video would take me more time practicing than I want to spend.

@Glaice

idgames download page

Again a fairly nonlinear approach, but with only once real case of innerconnectivity, there’s lots of major backtracking. Combat is rather easy and even dull in the places that are supposed to be hard. The cacodemon trap is obvious, yet incredibly easy to deal with. The final twin baron encounter is just a waste of time. Visually, this map had some isolated nice touches but mostly pretty basic,

Bottom line: Pretty dull all the way through and not nearly challenging enough to be the penultimate level of an episode

I'm mildly surprised you didn't say anything about those staircases that were low enough that you hit the ceiling going down the steps. Watching you go through those and your progression slow or bump like that just irked me.

I'd like to see you play through MAYhem Purple MAP10. It's Obsidian's map.

I wouldn't recommend attempting it on UV, though, if you decide to do that. Lots of plasma zombies.

Not a bad map in my books, but also could have been a bit better. Take note of the ending area of E2M7 and turn around when you start E2M8.

0vDVKYf.png

Since it didn't go to the end episode text, here's the modified VICTORY2 graphic..

Linearity seems to be my main hurdle in SP mapping, and sure enough there's more grey than I realized now that you've pointed it out. There are some splashes of color but they're too few and far between. Looking forward to the end, you're getting close!

@sincity2100

Doomworld download page

There are better maps in GMP. This one is a bit of a disappointment because you’ve seen the splendid visuals that this wad has to offer and they don’t quite show up here. You’ve seen some pretty good combat, but here it seems to betray an amateur design with easily retreatable traps and some fights that just felt meh. The level design is pretty cool, ending up back in the opening area several times. One thing this map seems to do well is encourage use of different weapons.

Bottom line: This map ain’t so bad, but GMP has set its own bar higher than this, in my opinion.

On 6/21/2018 at 8:34 PM, HAK3180 said:

@xdarkmasterx, the map looks nice, but given your usual style and the monster count, I'm going to pass on this one. An FDA would probably be hundreds of saves and several hours. A watchable video would take me more time practicing than I want to spend.

o sorry well here is another level its a lot easyer than the other one trust me :)

@Myst.Haruko

Doomworld download page

Pretty good looking map with a nice use of not-so-frequently-seen colors. It was a little bare, but it was not unfitting of the mood. Flow was very simple and linear, yet there was a way to get softlocked, which I did. Probably the easiest fix would be to make the bars go away at some point. Maybe make the teleporter place me on the ledge in the start room and walking off it lowers them. That would be a bit of a failsafe. Combat here was one-directional to a fault. I always expected monsters to appear behind me since it seemed like the very obvious thing to do was move backward and fire. But it didn’t really happen. The two dynamic encounters were the one in the dark room with the arch-vile, which I thought was really good, and the one I broke, so I can’t really critique it properly.

Bottom line: Pretty good looking simple map with a few fights that just need another ingredient.

9 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Pretty good looking map with a nice use of not-so-frequently-seen colors. It was a little bare, but it was not unfitting of the mood. Flow was very simple and linear, yet there was a way to get softlocked, which I did. Probably the easiest fix would be to make the bars go away at some point. Maybe make the teleporter place me on the ledge in the start room and walking off it lowers them. That would be a bit of a failsafe. Combat here was one-directional to a fault. I always expected monsters to appear behind me since it seemed like the very obvious thing to do was move backward and fire. But it didn’t really happen. The two dynamic encounters were the one in the dark room with the arch-vile, which I thought was really good, and the one I broke, so I can’t really critique it properly.

Bottom line: Pretty good looking simple map with a few fights that just need another ingredient.

Well, I mostly use boom/gzdoom in udmf format for my mapping, because those have more custom action lines and setups than bare vanilla. Most of this softlock and other small annoying things would be solved in boom format with some custom voodoo doll settings or redesigned completely. I have plans to incorparate this map for my personal project and change some things to fit for boom format. Anyway, I hope you liked, because I really loved to do this small one-day-made experiment. 

@Skunkbear

There are quite a few deaths in the video. Skipping 17:23 - 21:24 and 22:27 - 25:46 will save you some time.

Doomworld forum topic

This one had a really cool flow. You eventually hit a fork, and both of those paths have multiple paths, almost all of which are necessary ultimately to move forward. Then you basically do it one more time again for the three-key exit. I thought the combat was solid in this map. Boring encounters and grind situations were definitely less in this map than in previous maps. However, that was partially because I skipped some enemies. And the reason I skipped some enemies is the ammo balance leaves you with probably enough stuff, but more bullets than you want and not as many rockets and shells. Health was also rather scarce once again, which got a little frustrating. I don’t really play with the survival mindset normally, and these maps aren’t really conducive to it. In other words, they don’t feel like survivalist maps; they feel like normal maps with not enough health. Again, layout and flow were nice, but the texturing was boring. Way too much of the same brick texture.

Bottom line: Definitely some good stuff in here. It’s not without faults, but this is, I think, the closet so far to being really good, Map 04 being a close second.

@Nevander

@Doomkid

At about 8:40, I resurrect because I have played a significant amount without saving and I die rather unexpectedly.

Doomworld forum topic

A number of things make this stand out in a positive way, in my opinion. It’s a relatively short map, but the nonlinear design is expertly done. Most of these maps have been pretty straightforward. The approach here with multiple paths, at least toward the beginning, was welcome and well executed. This map also featured less grey than some of the others. Overall, this map is great visually with a lot of attention to detail but never in such a way as to be an obstacle. I probably missed a (secret?) rocket launcher, but I thought the ammo balance was good, particularly the cell count. Many of the other maps have too much plasma.

Bottom line: Definitely my favorite Doomed in Space map so far

Edited by HAK3180

@Glaice

idgames download page

E3 maps have custom music, and it’s nice and creepy. The look and flow of this map, although somewhat crude as usual, are fitting. It doesn’t try to do too much. The switch effects are obvious, as is the progression. Combat was somewhat challenging in a very simple way, in keeping with Hell Keep.

Bottom line: Nothing outstanding, but this could be the start of the best episode in Doom Revisited.

Looked like you could've sniped those imps from above in the first white rock area while they were in their little pits.

Your "Don't survive," to that imp made me laugh, because I've said something similar to the plasma marines in MAYhem Purple. "When I shoot you with a rocket, you're supposed to die."

If you would, maybe you could look at AC-Special for me? It's a GZDoom map, but I made sure that jumping and crouching aren't required for progression.

Notice ahead of time, if you do play it, it's a 45 minute run for me, so it'll be a long one, and I definitely suggest saving often. There are autosaves, but they're few and far between.

@Aquila Chrysaetos, I actually planned to put you to the top of my queue when July 1 came around, but then somebody got too eager 's computer started acting up. As it is, I'll probably only do one more video before heading out of town for a while. So I'll get to it, but it will probably be close to when I originally thought I would.

@sincity2100

Doomworld download page

We’ll start with the bad. I never tried Hurt Me Plenty. I started on Ultra-Violence, as I have been. I did okay until I entered one of the most significant fights with literally nothing. I opened the red door with fist out. I had saved there, so I had no choice but to restart. I made a huge effort to conserve ammo, so I was able to get through that fight. But then came a cyberdemon. I just did not have enough ammo to kill it. I had 120 cells and had seen a plasma gun + bulk cell, but it was obviously a secret. In other words, there are essentially 300 cells and a plasma gun that require finding one particular secret. That is way too much a swing for a map that has fewer than 150 enemies.

Now the good. I ended up switching to Hey, Not Too Rough and never had an ammo problem. I like the look and layout of this map. You can go around the outer edge and clean up, but the objective is accessible right away in the central courtyard. The blue key area is a nice little “sidequest” and then there’s a pretty good fight (on hard) beyond the red door. You finish it off with a somewhat interesting cyberdemon fight, provided you haven’t found the plasma gun.

Bottom line: A nicely designed Plutonia-esque map that is almost entirely ruined by lack of ammo. If I had found the secret plasma gun, I’d probably have nothing but praise for this map. That’s not good.

I'm heading on a little business trip the rest of the week, so although I may still scan the forum from time to time, I won't get at any videos until probably July. There's not a lot in the queue at the moment, so go ahead and post videos and hopefully I'll catch up pretty quickly.

You're nearly at the end of DIS, looking forward to your return. Nevander's map certainly shines, I really liked that one from the moment he submitted it.

@Aquila Chrysaetos

Doomworld forum topic

It’s pretty long and has a fairly odd setup. I found the first half or so to be more cohesive. You collect all the keys and the areas look similar/thematic for the most part. Then the second half fights intensify significantly and there are no more keys to gather, just fighting your way through and across lots of monsters in some pretty open spaces. I felt a little overwhelmed by some of the encounters. It wasn’t slaughter because there was no BFG (that I found) and ammo was actually pretty tight, especially plasma. As such, I often found myself dealing with lots of mid-tiers, choosing among the options of emptying out my rockets, using tons of bullets and shells, or just skipping the fight. I left at least two cyberdemons alive, so I can’t imagine what my supplies would have looked like if I had killed them.

As far as the customizations, they're fine, but would probably work better in a series of maps because they are significant enough to take some serious getting used to - particularly, the rhythm of the super shotgun.

Bottom line: The fights got a little stale and the visuals were nothing extraordinary, so it’s a little too long for me. The slight alterations will take some getting used to, but it’s a pretty enjoyable map (more than I let on during the video)

Appreciate the review. I'll post a fixed version tomorrow addressing some of the minor errors.

The modifications were brought in to give the map a bit of a personality, since it has to stand on its own as a major work (given why I made it), and a lot of them appear in HUR, which would be because I moved them over from that to this one.

I tried to keep it "Doomy" by leaving the weapons somewhat alone, though I never realized that the launcher was any slower, I thought its rate of fire was the same as vanilla, and not adding too much that might drown out what the map really is: my own little "Doom in one map."

The later fights did kind of go on a little longer than I would've liked, but I wound up being pressed for time before I could refine it in any significant way, which is unfortunate.

Since you tackled HMP, a lot of the difficult fights were, in all probability, much easier than they would've been on UV, such as twice the imps or revs in some locations, some additional pain elementals, among other things, but I did make sure that there were sufficient (if barely) supplies to max the map.

Frankly, seeing that you're a keyboarder (I use mouse+keyboard), I was afraid the map would be unfairly difficult.

I am really glad you found the plasma, though, because this map, clearly, was very well tailored for the player to have it, which is partly why it's in such an easy-to-find secret.

I'm not sure what to say about the modifications making the map seem less like Doom, though. I've got a TC in Limbo the works that modifies/changes/replaces everything in the game (no worries, I won't ask you to play it, it's basically my "be a dickwad" mod), so I'm just rather confused on that.

Yeah, I figured it would go on for too long, but what it is wound up requiring it to be that long, so I don't know what more to say about that. I love really long levels, but even this was a little long.

Fun fact: it was supposed to be longer and have the three skulls, too.

I'm not extremely into visuals (like flat sectoring and all that, I hate that), but I like to add bits and pieces and just fill up the otherwise empty wall.

One last thing: you expressed interest in my megawad, which uses all of these mechanics in it, which includes the modified weapons, monsters, etc., and adds more stuff and panders more to what I like in a game (though the aforementioned TC is this Up to Eleven), so I'm not sure what you'll think of it.

@Aquila Chrysaetos

On the rocket launcher, I second-guessed myself, so I did a crude experiment with a stopwatch. I fired 16 rockets in 10 second on AC special and 19 rockets in 10 seconds on Entryway, so it is a bit slower, though not a lot - interesting I noticed right away.

I didn't think the map was unfairly difficult; I just didn't feel like completing (or even starting) some fights. In general, I'm a little more exploration-centric, and this map is a bit more combat-centric. To be fair though, I probably rushed a bit and didn't set aside enough time for this map.

@Skunkbear

Doomworld forum topic

Decent hub design with some good ideas, like the walls shooting fire and the sergeants behind the opening and closing windows. Also some nice 3d floors and slopes and even combat design was good in many places. Some nice progress for sure. My issues are in the same areas they have been. Visually, it’s still a little bland. Skunkbear basically chooses a theme texture and then floods the entire map and changes a few of them out. You can still be thematic without monotony. And ammo balance. Again health wasn’t so bad as before, but you are highly encouraged to skip monsters due to ammo scarcity, and that’s especially problematic because several monsters are tagged such that you must kill them to progress. At least I was able to kill all the monsters, but I ended with 0 bullets, 3 shells, 0 rockets, 0 cells.

Bottom line: Combat and flow are constantly improving. I’d like to see some significant steps forward with visual design.