Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

@Yugiboy85

Part 1

Part 2

Doomworld forum topic

It’s definitely different from Travelling to the Moon. It does still have a similar aesthetic, which is excellent, lots of monsters, and the ability to choose your own path, but a lot about this is unlike the original. I thought the exploration was great; it seemed like there was a lot to do and that it didn’t matter when you did what. The switch action was not always clear to me, but in many cases it didn’t really matter. It was like guided wandering; I only got lost briefly a couple times. The combat was the biggest change, at least from what I remember. There were more very small traps, some of which I found annoying and only a couple really big fights. The big finale probably would have been the fourth biggest fight in Travelling to the Moon. I did find the ending a little weak because the bosses fought each other and there was just a ton of ammo and not a lot of monsters that demanded priority. The whole map had a ton of ammo. Even though I found 1/13 secret and didn’t get a plasma gun until very late (I assume), I was always able to spam rockets and still have 100 of them almost always.

Bottom line: I’m afraid it’s not as good as Travelling to the Moon, but it’s another epic adventure with great visuals and mostly good gameplay.

@Deadwing

Doomworld forum topic

Combat really shines in this map. I thought it started and ended very well, especially the hectic start in the really cool central area. This map is a little more straightforward than some of the others, but it’s fairly open so that you still feel you are exploring. Plus, the secret sidequests help in that regard. I do like the underground aura of this one, and I thought it was a nice touch to show a little bit of sky only at the end.

Bottom line: Great gameplay in a somewhat basic looking but well designed thematic space

@an_mutt

idgames download page

It’s big and long, but you never really stray too far away from where you started. It’s more about opening the level up and accessing areas you have seen before but not been to. The design and look are terrific. I did find myself wandering a little bit, but if you pay attention to what keys you have/need and where those doors/switches are, it shouldn’t be a problem. It’s a little stingy on ammo and a touch grindy with a couple of the hordes. I also did not love the use of Spider Masterminds, but besides that the combat was good: a fair but serious challenge all the way through.

Bottom line: it feels like a lot of work, but it’s solid Doom gameplay in a great environment.

I'm really glad the experience has been quite smooth! Pacing seems good and there's not any bug in that level, although maybe I should switch the soulsphere with the BFG in the secret area? :P I tried to make the secrets more substancial in this mapset, which might make them not so advantageous if the player wants to speedrun, but hopefully the exploration factor is worth it. Next levels are going to be more... complicated, especially regarding pacing and navigation, so I'm curious to see if they're going to behave well D:

@Zolgia108

Doomworld forum topic

This map has a conventional layout with some pretty decent visuals and solid combat. I thought the opening fight was well done with just the right number and placement of monsters. It still has its quirky weirdness and creepiness that make it Djinn, but I think this is a map that most Doomers would enjoy at least some.

Bottom line: good trends continue

8 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@Zolgia108

Doomworld forum topic

This map has a conventional layout with some pretty decent visuals and solid combat. I thought the opening fight was well done with just the right number and placement of monsters. It still has its quirky weirdness and creepiness that make it Djinn, but I think this is a map that most Doomers would enjoy at least some.

Bottom line: good trends continue

Glad this is coming along! i am sorry about the respawing monster, it was supposed to respawn 1/3 of the times, but fuck it always does that so i will delete him right away. A couple of things: the overly generous secret was made to be found easily cause who doesn't see a different torch? :) i mean it's a sort of "you get punished badly if you don't find that secret!" and then in the blood room with arachnos if you stand of the blood pools they won't hit you, their plasma will hit their walls, it took some time to get the right height, this just to say! anyway i am glad that you enjoyed this map a little cause you won't enjoy next one even for a while i think! :P

thanks again for playing and for helping me!

@mArt1And00m3r11339

idgames download page

Very straightforward, very customized gameplay. Some will like it; others won’t. This one was one of my favorites because it was never really too tedious until the very end and it involved BFG, rather than endless chaingunning.

Bottom line: have some fun with the BFG 9000

Time to return the favor, people!

Okay, in all seriousness, there will be no mutual scratching of backs here/preferential treatment given to those who fill this request. But here’s a humble request that some of you whose maps I’ve played take a few minutes and peak at a couple of mine. If you’re not interested, cool. My stated goals in the opening post of this thread are to get better at mapping and have fun Dooming. I’ve done both, thanks to you. I just wanted you to be aware of the influence all this critiquing has had on me so far and invite you to view it firsthand.

8 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Time to return the favor, people!

Okay, in all seriousness, there will be no mutual scratching of backs here/preferential treatment given to those who fill this request. But here’s a humble request that some of you whose maps I’ve played take a few minutes and peak at a couple of mine. If you’re not interested, cool. My stated goals in the opening post of this thread are to get better at mapping and have fun Dooming. I’ve done both, thanks to you. I just wanted you to be aware of the influence all this critiquing has had on me so far and invite you to view it firsthand.

I'll propably play it sometime

@sincity2100

Doomworld forum topic

This map looks cool. It’s simultaneously tech-ish and hellish in a city style layout, which I love. The action starts right away and rarely lets up. I would have been fine playing this map twice as long just to take it in.

Bottom line: Great visual design that happens to play pretty good too.