Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

Screenshot_Doom_20190511_101336.png.5bc98c804973a4337ee9f6dce70cad18.png

Dimensional Lake: idgames link

Length: 10 - 20 minutes

Difficulty: First section is easy, second section is very tight on ammo

Notes: I won't blame you if you use noclip for the blue skull

@Rince-wind, Very sorry, but I stay away from maps that require jumping. In addition to your thread itself, perhaps consider seeking playtesters here.

@The Mysterious Moustachio, I will play as many of these as you send my way in whatever order. Regardless, I will most definitely play the whole megawad after proper release. And I would be happy to record it if you request it at that point.

@Alfredo 

Doomworld forum topic

It’s a longer map with over 550 enemies. I think it’s got a great conceptual design; it’s kind of what Warrens is to Hell Keep. You start in a simple octagon and go through the rooms one by one. And they’re techy. But then you later take paths that put you back into these same rooms that are now hellified and/or repopulated. The secrets are a lot of fun. The little gimmicks are cool. I’m most impressed by the layout – how this thing connects to itself and resolves itself – and the combat. It starts out more simple but usually not grindy or simplistic. And as it gets harder, it’s not just meaningless hordes. You actually fight the environment, too. The only issue I had was that all of the invulnerability fights are a breeze; those are tough powerups to use well. Visually, it’s not great. It’s really not an upgrade from vanilla Doom of 25 years ago. I think if Alfredo pays a little more attention to visuals (not a lot more because I think it just happens organically), he’s well on his way to becoming an able mapper

Bottom line: Doesn’t look very good, but see it through to the end; it comes together very well

Edited by HAK3180

Hi @HAK3180

This is map03 as promised. Slightly non linear so please don't do like my brother finding yourself punching archies and killing barons with a shotgun!

Last room inspired by an HR map (just a little no worries)

It may become a very hard map or an average to hard one, it depends on you ahhahaha

Please don't kill me

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aq63684zcz2cpzk/HAPPY 0.3.wad?dl=1

@The Mysterious Moustachio

@joe-ilya

Doomworld forum topic (project)

It’s not a boss fight, but it’s certainly a boss map in terms of relative difficulty. This thing destroyed me over and over again, but it’s not really unfair or even excessively difficult. I died because of poor planning, bad strategy, impatience, and a really terrible feature, which I vigorously hope was an oversight: a narrow strip of damaging floor along the outer edges with no indication that it is damaging at all. But it’s a fun map. I like the outdoor take on the arena style and how you really do get to experience new things while maintaining that arena. I like the closure of the arch-vile that resurrected the mancubus multiple times showing up at the very end, very poetically in my case when I had zero more monsters and zero ammo. Ammo might need a closer look. I didn’t pay close attention to how efficient I was/how many resurrections took place/how much ammo I left behind. But the map does ask you to kill monsters to proceed, so it does need to be sufficient. Of course, there is a chainsaw.

Bottom line: This map knew what I wanted to do and prevented me from doing it. Repeatedly. So it’s very clever and provides a good challenge. And I find it a somewhat unique take on a “classic” Map 07.

@xdarkmasterx

Doomworld forum topic

Nice detail, especially with lighting. There’s not too much to the map, but it’s brilliantly connected as they always are, this time with the opening ledge that eventually you get up to in order to exit, some windows that can be lethal, and multiple doors to the same destinations. Difficulty is easier, but seems to suit the overall size and scale of this map. Could work well early in a mapset.

Bottom line: Just a smaller scale typical xdarkmasterx map, so it’s good

15 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@Kepehn, well, what is it?

I just asked you if you can record my map, that's all.

P.S. Have I been inconvenient? Your reply makes me feel so.

@Kepehn, as long as it meets my criteria,

On 2/26/2018 at 12:04 AM, HAK3180 said:

I’m only interested in Doom wads, that is, Doom, Doom 2, TNT, or Plutonia.

I prefer (but do not require) simple/old school. I’d rather not freelook (I’ve usually not had a problem even when it is recommended), use new weapons, or fight new monsters. I do not even bind crouch to a key, and I generally don't play wads that require jumping.

If you specify an exclusive or preferred port, I will probably use it. Generally, I use Crispy, PrBoom+, GZDoom, and sometimes Retro.

I would prefer you give me a rough length and difficulty level so I can plan accordingly. EDIT: My soft maximum length is about three hours.

I will at least give it a try. You don't need to ask first; just go ahead and post a link to your thread or to download your map.

9 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

I will at least give it a try. You don't need to ask first; just go ahead and post a link to your thread or to download your map.

Well, actually the map isn't done yet, I'll notify you when it's done, (if I have time to finish it).

P.S. You didn't mentioned anything about it, but I still feel that the way you replied to me in the first time was unfriendly. I hope I'm wrong!

10 minutes ago, Kepehn said:

Well, actually the map isn't done yet, I'll notify you when it's done, (if I have time to finish it).

P.S. You didn't mentioned anything about it, but I still feel that the way you replied to me in the first time was unfriendly. I hope I'm wrong!

All you have to do is post the map. You dont have to ask permission (Or at least of what I know) Just post it in the thread.

@Kepehn, no, I was not being unfriendly. This is now page 40, and in 99% of cases, people just post a link to their map or the thread for their map. So I didn't understand what you wanted me to play. The existence and continuity of this thread is a blanket "yes, I will play your map," barring unusual circumstances.

@Zolgia108

download the .wad

This map is very much encounter-based, and the space complements that purpose about half the time. I liked the idea with the first cyberdemon fight and the room to get the red key. Some of the visual elements are rather bare. It seems the goal is a grand presentation, but there just isn’t enough detail for that. I was a little harsh on the progression after the cyberdemon switch because there are bars that lower around the lift, but I still think it could be a little more obvious. Also, the bars between doomguy and the arch-vile could be raised some more because you can definitely just run out over them without ever hitting the cyberdemon’s switch, which I’m pretty sure would leave you softlocked.

Bottom line: Needs a little polish, but there’s some good attention to combat detail

Sorry @HAK3180 about the issues on this map, as usual there's some stuff that didn't work out as i wanted, for example the door behind the red room should have opened from behind, i don't really know why that happened... Also the bars glitch, i will polish this map a lot cause it seems like it needs it :( oh i will also place something to help you understand that you need to get the lift down. I didn't really like how it worked out in general to be sincere, sorry for that m8

@Malefication

Doomworld forum topic

This is one of those maps that offers little in terms of cohesion and connected layout. The result is a sequence of rooms that feel connected only through their doors. Each area is distinct in a way that it feels more like a dozen or so tiny levels rather than one level. Visually, there’s very little going on. There’s some nice lighting, but most of the map is flat - walls, ceilings, and floors. Each room is pretty much a different monotone. The combat is okay except for the fact that there’s almost always way too much space; everything turns into a big infight with unlimited running room.

Bottom line: This map needs to think smaller and more connected

Hey HAK3180 I admire the time you take to play people's WADs! And I have one for you as well!

I am the guy who sent you "The Forbidden Terminal" long ago. I am back with a completely different approach to a Doom WAD. This is not a regular WAD. And I spent way less time on it, because I am busy. But nonetheless, I hope you will "enjoy" it, because you probably won't. Here's the link: 

@Rhebiz, I'm totally fine with custom textures. I don't love custom monsters and weapons, but it just depends. I won't refuse the wad though.

19 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@Rhebiz, I'm totally fine with custom textures. I don't love custom monsters and weapons, but it just depends. I won't refuse the wad though.

Alright, theres just a ssg replacement, a BFG10K and an imp-like enemy.

@HAK3180 Heya. Thanks for taking the time to play my wad. I know i'm a little late on this but I really appreciate the feedback you gave me. I'll be bringing more wads your way sometime in the future if you don't mind :)

@FanTazTiCxD

Doomworld forum topic

The concept is not a bad concept. It’s niche, and I think Doom lends itself decently well to this sort of genre. I probably wouldn’t play a whole megawad of this, but I’d certainly appreciate it in, say, a Map 31 slot. The concept is horror-survival. You’re inadequately equipped to handle the opposition, which is faster monsters: spectres and arch-viles. But there are invisible teleporters throughout the map, so you don’t really know when you will run into the monsters. As that tension builds, you run through a big maze to find the keys. So it’s a fine concept. I think the execution was not great. Visually, this thing is monotonous and repetitive.  I understand a maze should get you lost so too many landmarks would be counterproductive to that goal, but this thing is just a grid of identical halls and small rooms. I also think some sort of time element would make the atmosphere way more foreboding. Maybe if a demon teleported in every 30 seconds and an arch-vile every minute, you’d have more incentive to finish quickly and take more risks. This wouldn’t be hard to do, even in vanilla.

Bottom line: Not a bad concept, but the effort that went into custom sound effects should be redirected into the gameplay itself

9 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Posted the gameplay video, etc.

Thank you so much for reviewing this map! I was kind of frustrated with how you didn't turn off the ingame music, as I wrote that the player should do in the WAD-thread, but when you at least changed it to the most silent music, it was a relief. I agree with many of the things you said, and also personally disagree with some of it. The thing I mostly agree with is, that this map would have been a lot better if I didn't just copy and paste the same room everywhere. And if I decided I wanted to spend a month on this wad, like I did on The Forbidden Terminal, I also would have made the rooms different. I also get your point about adding monster spawners so that time becomes a bigger factor. And I could have considered adding that. But then again, I actually liked the emptiness of the map. Sometimes, when you know something is in there, but you don't see it for a long time, the anticipation grows. And that's what I think an empty map can do, rather than a map full of monsters, which would just take it from being a creepy horror wad, to an action map. And I wanted to avoid that.

Another thing I disagree with, is your comment about how the ingame music from doom would work better than this song. But again, this is just a matter of taste. To me, the ingame music suggests more action than horror. Maybe with an exception for E1M8. E1M8's music would have been kind of okay to this map, I guess, because it has some of the same elements, as the song I added to this map. It is sad, kind of peaceful and a bit beautiful too. Just like the song "Only time" as I added here. But I still think "Only time" would be the best choice. I was aiming to avoid the typical horror cliché with off-tuned strings getting louder and louder. I think the horror effect becomes even better, when there's a melodramatic/beautiful and sad song to play in the background. But that's just a matter of taste.

Also, the textures is a matter of taste. I personally think that the marble textures does a wonderful job themselves, even without any other textures to blend in.

It's a shame you changed to full speed so quickly. I would have liked to see how you did on turbo 50. I have managed to reach pretty far with turbo 50 on Ultra Violence, but I was eventually caught up by an arch-vile. But I think turbo 50 adds a whole other horror-effect to it, because you are not able to run fast. So it's worth trying.

You were also talking about the arch-vile sounds in the video. Actually they were taken from the horror-game Slenderman. You'll hear the exact same sounds when he catches you (Try looking it up on youtube)

So all in all, thank you for trying my map. Thank you for being fair and honest about your experience with it, and actually taking it seriously (unlike some other people, who just think I am there to troll them...) I appreciate it :-)

hey @HAK3180 what's up with this post we need to up it!!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nhs6u1u7f5ui5gz/Happy 0.4.2.wad?dl=1

this is map 04, it should be the episode closer, it starts as a slightly hard map and then it becomes sort of slaughter, maybe a lot of slaughter. Please note that my brother wanted to kill me (mostly for the first part though) after playing it so please don't hate me. It is my first attempt at such a style (the second part i mean)so please be nice !

Also in the first part there's a reference to a plutonia map, if you guess it right i'll give you a prize (still have to think about what though ahhaah)

have (not) fun!

@Zolgia108

download the .wad

It's sort of two maps in one. The first is very structured with a central hallway, all of whose pieces you take in succession. I have no real complaints there except perhaps the skipability of the cyberdemon - it's easy to do and low ammo (if you were to kill it) makes it easier to decide. The second part is a really big slaughter area. It has some interesting things going on with lots of high perched monsters and a couple progress points with their own threats, but overall it's just too easy. There are few high priority monsters. There is an abundance of space. There are at least three invulnerabilities. There are tons of rockets and cells. That combination does not lend itself well to what this is clearly supposed to be: a challenging slaughter fight. The fact is there's very little to stop you from circling this huge arena indefinitely. 

Bottom line: It's not lacking in fun, but it doesn't seem to deliver what it's supposed to.

that damn door in the first part! i hated it i am sorry for that hahahahah, already fixed :(

By the way, yea this was my first attempt at a semi slaughter basically (except map 21 in Djinn if you remember that) so i really didn't know how to distribute resources, i kinda wanted to make it easy enough for anyone but it ended being too cheesy both for you and my brother (at least the second part ofc, the first one was pretty tough for both of you), but at least now i think i know why: too many resources when you get there so you have the possibility to kill the fatsoes and stay there like you did (even if this kind of arenas are made, i think, to entice and encourage the player to jump down into madness), so now i placed some high priorities monsters like you said, so that it will be harder to stay there, i even removed the ammo in the first spot so you won't be even able to kill the fatsoes, and i cut down an invulnerability. I also added pain elementals and a couple of roaming archies like you said, it is still pretty doable but more challenging i guess.

PS: i really don't know why my maps weight that much, djinn was huge i think because of the huge amount of custom monsters, textures and some mp3 songs, but i must say that there is a huge difference, it was like 120 mb in 25 maps, in this case i didn't put any custom (except cracko), just a couple custom textures and no mp3s, so i really can't understand why, any idea?

Thank you as usual for the advices, i will try to improve :)

now it's about time to build map 05!

@HAK3180

@Zolgia108, regarding file size, I think it's just the custom content and the map sizes in some cases. Averaging 2 MB per map is not massive at all unless you're comparing to the iwads of 25 years ago. Eviternity is like 125, for example. I don't think folks with decent specs will experience any lag; I don't unless I'm recording, which takes a huge toll on your system, and I'm on an outdated laptop.